Hacking Thinking of getting a Sky3DS, but just want some opinions first

Daniel41550

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"...After we noticed issues surrounding some of the latest game backups not functioning
as 3DS files but working just fine as CIA files, we decided to investigate.

What we discovered was truly remarkable: a new kind of antipiracy check! Yes, that’s right!
This took us five minutes to fix and here we are today......" - official GW site
ok thanks for that info

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
ok thanks for that info

This is the main flaw with sky3ds, every time an update comes out if they can overcome it they require a new hardware revision. Gateway has never changed hardware since they use exploited software and that's why having gw or cfw will always be better then sky. Once you have a 8.1-9.2 n3ds you're almost unstoppable

Daniel41550

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the main flaw with sky3ds, every time an update comes out if they can overcome it they require a new hardware revision. Gateway has never changed hardware since they use exploited software and that's why having gw or cfw will always be better then sky. Once you have a 8.1-9.2 n3ds you're almost unstoppable
Yeah, would it be possible to fix if sky3ds could be updated though? Or does it have to have upgraded hardware to be fixed?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You should wait for the next hardware revision which is bound to come soon. No sense in buying a Sky3DS when you know they are going to screw existing owners over by releasing a new hardware revision.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Just a note about using a SKY3DS with a New 3DS or New 3DD XL, the front-loading cartridge slot makes it easier to accidentally press the ROM-switching button on the Sky cartridge, and doing so in-game will cause the save data to become lost or corrupted. Just be careful not to touch it while a game is still running.

Kaytsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I was thinking about getting Sky3DS too, but now I don't know. Mainly it was my 1st choice because pretty sure can't get my hands on a <=9.2 N3DS XL. I already found N3DS's (according to serial number on the box) with 9.0 but really want that bigger IPS screen, and the small size difference is no biggie for me. The reasoning for leaning towards Sky more over GW was:

1. I already own DS card for all the homebrew I need mainly just GBA emulator (I love my GBA but all in 1 is just too sweet :)).
2. Plug and Play and newest firmware installed is appealing.
3. I know header extract is not possible with Sky but that also is no biggie for me as I buy retails of the games I play online and I really like. Flashcart for me is sort of a testing ground for games that I am unsure of or for local multiplayer.

But now I'm torned! GW is starting to look more and more appealing now (and if I get <=9.2 N3DSXL). What do I miss with lower emuNand? If I am not mistaken o3DS is always going to be ahead of N3DS in emuNand progress and I hate to wait on things that new FW updates bring. Essentially I like the full OFW experince if that makes any sense.

What do you think I should get? I am positive that there is <=9.2 N3DSXL to be found. There's alot of big warehouse stores here and they all sell games and stuff but their general main audience is more families and such. Gamers usually just buy them from someplace else, more specialized stores. In my hometown I have countered (based on the serial numbers) more under 9.2 N3DS's than higher ones and XL's are usually out of stock. I would quess that big warehouses try to get rid of old stock before ordering new ones, even if one model is out completely.

Last edited by Kaytsu,

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
This is something I am not so familiar with...so even without any hacks you can change region so I can play my EU cartridges?

Yes; I have both native USA and JPN consoles that I can region swap. The only EUR one I have currently is a non xl with TN screen

If you change the region though can't you not use the eShop anymore?

Yes that is the downside with region swapping due to every n3ds having pre installed content

Kaytsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yes; I have both native USA and JPN consoles that I can region swap. The only EUR one I have currently is a non xl with TN screen

Yes that is the downside with region swapping due to every n3ds having pre installed content

Bummer :(.

Kaytsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Oops double post

This has been happening a lot lately, I wonder if there is a bug with the website

For me it was Firefox crash. After Windows 10 upgrade some things seems to be working not so great :). Maybe I'll just switch back to W7 because not so fond of this one either, it's better than Windows 8.1 I'll give it that but still meh. Clean install would work better I bet but still...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No eshop till someone comes up with a spoof. But on 9.2 every eshop update / download can be installed as a cia

I would use ROMs only offline as I buy all my games I play online and really like, are there any other benefits to CIA ROMs than no headers and modifications with updates and DLCs?

Kaytsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
For me it was Firefox crash. After Windows 10 upgrade some things seems to be working not so great :). Maybe I'll just switch back to W7 because not so fond of this one either, it's better than Windows 8.1 I'll give it that but still meh. Clean install would work better I bet but still...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would use ROMs only offline as I buy all my games I play online and really like, are there any other benefits to CIA ROMs than no headers and modifications with updates and DLCs?

But yeah I do really like the fact that GW's support and continuity is really solid. Think I am going with that when I track down EU N3DSXL with <=9.2 or if I don't I might just buy N3DS <=9.2 as second one, keep XL OFW and N3DS CFW ;).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s