Hardware Thinking about buying a Vita...

D

Deleted-355425

So, after ~15 years of buying only Nintendo consoles, I want to get a PS Vita!

Since I don't know much about the Sony world, I have a lot of questions :P

1) Should I buy the original or the slim model? From what I've read the slim is better in every way except for the screen (and maybe the design), so which one is "the best" ? (I don't really care about 3G, and I can buy either for the same price).
2) What memory card should I get? I will probably download some games, but not a lot.
3) What can I do, in terms of hack? AFAIK Vita piracy doesn't exist (yet?) (except that big card-sharing thingy)), but is there something I need to know? I've heard about Rejuvenate, but is it really worth staying on an older firmware? And do I need an exploit game?
4) Should I get a PSTV too? I can buy it for not that much (40 euros new), and I already have a DS4.
5) Any game recommendation? I think I will already buy Persona 4 Golden and the Neptunia games, but I don't really have any other idea in mind (I like all types of games, except maybe FPSes).

Thanks! :D

You are going to get split opinions on vita 1k vs 2k, I own both and I prefer the old 1k model because I use both handhelds in a grip which adds R2 and L2 buttons so form is the same but that screen on the 1K is oh so sweet lol.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I got the 2k at a closeout price and with the Previous PS Plus library and PS4 remote play. I'd say it's worth it. 1K DOES have a better screen but also has risk of screen burn in. Also 2k has better battery life

Got 16gb and its served my needs so far

Vita came with newer firmware. Wanted remote play anyway. so can't help you there.

PS4 golden is definitely great...it takes quite a while to get things started though

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
1- get the slim version , yah , the screen is LCD but you wont notice if you don't compare , also the handling is better and it use the same charger as any mobile phone and the battery is better.

2- physical games this days for the Vita are rare ,at least get 32GB . but for starter , get 16GB.
the 32GB is very expansive in the west , the Japanese version are $30 cheaper.

3- for hacks , it's just ePSP stuff , the native Vita stuff only work on frame below 3.51 , many games only run on 3.52 and above.

4- the PSTV is nice , but not many games support it.

5- muramasa rebirth , if you don't have PS4 get gravity rush
dangaronpa 1+2 ( coming to steam , but they are Vita port with the same 540p resolution )
freedom wars
uncharted golden abyss

if you like hack and slash with fan service get senran kaugra SV. it's really fun and stupid story.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Should I buy the original or the slim model?
The original.

From what I've read the slim is better in every way except for the screen (and maybe the design)
The slim is better in two ways - better design, and USB charging port. But those things don't make it a better choice than the OLED. A paperweight could have a good design, and a USB port, but it's still a paperweight.
2) What memory card should I get? I will probably download some games, but not a lot.
It's funny, for PSP I use 4GB and it's fine for me. But for Vita I recommend at least 16 GB.

5) Any game recommendation? I think I will already buy Persona 4 Golden and the Neptunia games, but I don't really have any other idea in mind (I like all types of games, except maybe FPSes).
Gravity Rush is an absolute must play.

1- get the slim version , yah , the screen is LCD but you wont notice if you don't compare
Wrong. I got the slim as my first Vita, but I still noticed it. It took maybe an hour for me to notice though, so I urge the OP not to go by first impressions.

Last edited by zeello,
D

Deleted User

the slim is better in every way except for the screen (and maybe the design)
50% not true from what I can gather. The screen on an original Vita is an OLED screen, whereas the Vita slim screen is LCD. I guess they changed their minds in the redesign because the OLED screen can sometimes be prone to shady black dots forming on the screen (mine does that, I'm not overly annoyed about it though...). The design is definitely a lot smexier, although I personally do like to get ahold of the original more than the redesigned.

It all depends, really. The memcards can be REALLY expensive sometimes (go for second hand, you'll barf in discust at the prices that Sony alone sells them for). I would go for around the 8GB mark if you are only collecting Vita games in card form.

3) What can I do, in terms of hack? AFAIK Vita piracy doesn't exist (yet?) (except that big card-sharing thingy)), but is there something I need to know? I've heard about Rejuvenate, but is it really worth staying on an older firmware? And do I need an exploit game?
Ahhh, the hacks. The good old hacks. ;)
So yeah, the Rejuvenate hack is for 3.51 and under since PSM was revoked and shut down in the 3.52 update. There are some good homebrew apps and emulators out there for Rejuvenate. However, I had to update to 3.30 and get PSM Dev for Unity Version 1.06 to get the homebrew apps to work. It's a shame really, because you have to sacrafice the Package Installer app support for a fully-working Rejuvenate for Unity. :(

Minecraft PS Vita Edition. Every time! :P

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
consider also the PSP. If you have only been buying Nintendo consoles I'd say you missed out on a good system there.

D

Deleted User

memory cards for a reasonable price? They are super expensive on amazon (35 euros for the 16GB, I paid the same price for a 128GB Micro SD the other day)...
Get them second hand. I got an 8GB one 2nd hand for only £12.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.