Gaming they said piracy kills psp... but what about vita?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The original Vita with the OLED screen has me more interested than any of the games available for it, I'll eventually pick up one they aren't going to become rare. I thought PSP Slim 2000 (early models) would be hard to come by but naw, just look up on eBay and they're there.

Mira

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
let's be clear here:
-vita's not doing well in general...anyone that says so needs to understand that even if dreamcast was a nice console in the end it was considered a failure....
-vita is doing fine in japan but the rest of the world?
-an average amount of jap dev are supporting vita but how many non-jap dev are doing the same and of course were not talking about indie...
-if we are talking about the kinds of games that are coming out:just porting,indie,jrpg...we can't say that is good appeal for the normal eu/us guy...
-if dev would not feel motivated on producing vita games if it get's hacked how come the 3ds which is hacked has tons of dev producing for it?
-sony WAS supporting the vita but how is he supporting it NOW?at the next E3 is supposed to be just a ps4 show,how can anyone say that sony is supporting vita?
-if piracy would not save vita,then is it doomed?because if the situation won't change it will be...because you can bet sony won't be moving a finger to do so and this would be the last handheld of sony's history unless he is planning his next handheld to be released only in japan...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sure, Sony doesn't support the PSVita. I guess Helldivers, Freedom Wars, God of War HD Collection, Gravity Rush 2, PSVita Pets, Sly Trilogy, Soul Sacrifice Delta and god knows what else they have planned for 2014/2015 are not considered support around here. Sure, GoW HD and Sly Trilogy are ports and Helldivers is multiplatform, but I don't see it as a problem because guess what? Those are good games and I'd love to play them on the go.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, Sony doesn't support the PSVita. I guess Helldivers, Freedom Wars, God of War HD Collection, Gravity Rush 2, PSVita Pets, Sly Trilogy, Soul Sacrifice Delta and god knows what else they have planned for 2014/2015 are not considered support around here. Sure, GoW HD and Sly Trilogy are ports and Helldivers is multiplatform, but I don't see it as a problem because guess what? Those are good games and I'd love to play them on the go.
People also seem to forget the PSP's amazing lineup of games...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's a matter of perspective. For whatever reason the DS succeeded so much that everything else pales in comparison while for all intents and purposes the PSP was and continues to be a very successful system. Games like MGS: Peace Walker were the benchmark of what portable gaming can be, the PSP was also the springboard that lead Monster Hunter to the popularity it enjoys now. I could go on and on enumerating PSP must-haves, neither I nor my girlfriend have ever regretted purchasing one and I don't think I've even touched the tip of the ice berg as far as the games on the system are concerned - there's still a lot of games left to be played for me, but my backlog on other systems is stretching my gaming time thin. :P

Mira

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Foxi4 said:
Those really show how much love sony has for his vita...the only 2 games which i hope are fine are GR2 and FW because they are sequels and i really hope not to see just a copy and paste like SSD
Anyway...tell me if you still think sony supports the vita after the E3...

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The problem I think is the devs for the PSV. The PSV is lacking titles because most of the studios (the developers) are going the mobile platform way - iOS, Android, etc. Maybe because it's cheaper to develop there. Sony just needs to sell it first to the developers, maybe cheaper devkit vitas?

I'm just glad the 3DS got some good amount of quality titles. Not much I could say on the Wii U, though I'm expecting the upcoming Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. U to make it up. The PS4 on the other hand is looking good, but still not enough lineup since it's fresh.

The gaming scene now is too fragmented. It's hard to market and please everyone.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's pretty much dead in the west, selling 10k in NA for a whole month in the latest NPD results. Can't get much deader than that. It's not exactly setting fireworks in EU either and just barely selling in Japan to keep it alive.

Bioshiit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's great, because you totally don't have to - the PSVita costs between 150-180€ depending on the bundle you choose. For example the PSVita Mega Pack consisting of the system, a 16GB memory card and 10 games (LittleBigPlanet, Wipeout 2048, Motorstorm RC, Little Deviants, Frobisher Says!, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, The HD Adventures of Rotating Octopus Character, Lemmings, Ecolibrium and Hungry Giraffe) costs 179€ on Amazon.

I don't know where people get their PSVita price points as of late, it's not the first time I hear the system costs $300+ around here when it really doesn't.

Retail shops here in belgium

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country

Sony dropped officially Western support around 2010.
The last third of the PSP's lifespan, they pulled out the plug on it in the West, let that sink for a minute. (Even the frigging Wii was supported until the year before the last)
NONE of the games (save for the few that were done by Xseed, Atlus and Aksys) were localized by Japanese publishers or produced by Western devs after that.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
PSO2 is not a Sony game, it's a SEGA game - go knock on SEGA's door for that.

Very true. Same way as Monster Hunter was a Capcom game.

Sony knows there's a demand for it, the same way it knew there was a demand for Monster Hunter outside of Japan.

Sony should put some pressure on their partners. They announced games with Sony's platform, and then leave the hyped gamers drowning on the shores, along with the system not being bought from all those potential costumers.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's supposedly a very safe handheld, and still unhackable. there is virtually no piracy in ps vita, so why it failed?
NO GAEMS?!

Seriously... the only game for the Vita that I'm aware of and would want is its version of Katamari... that's it.

Call of Duty? Oh, you mean the epitome of stupid?
Borderlands 2? I'd rather have it on PC instead, since I played the first on PC.
MGS? No.
Final Fantasy X? HELL NO!

I know some people will bring up other games for the thing, but honestly, Sony does a piss poor job of showing them off as anything that:
  1. Would be fun for the system
  2. Couldn't be done better somewhere else
It would take a variety of games, or the thing to be hacked, before I'd even consider getting it. And the fact that Sony seems to take down every single vulnerable game so that even PSP mode is nigh on useless to me, is aggravating at best, and defeats the point of looking at it at all.

Sorry, but being able to jailbreak/hack it is a selling point to me now. And with only one game, it would need its doors blown off to even get me to look at one with more than a passing glance. Especially since finding a copy of said Katamari is nigh on impossible.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
NO GAEMS?!
It's really not Sony's fault that you have a weird taste in video games. I'm personally swimming in PSVita titles, my backlog is so lenghty that I have to shuffle the memory card contents monthly becuase of goddamn Plus that just keeps adding games to my download list before I manage to finish the ones I already have.

Also, you don't like MGS? Philistine. Not on my GBATemp! :angry:

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really not Sony's fault that you have a weird taste in video games. I'm personally swimming in PSVita titles, my backlog is so lenghty that I have to shuffle the memory card contents monthly becuase of goddamn Plus that just keeps adding games to my download list before I manage to finish the ones I already have.

Also, you don't like MGS? Philistine. Not on my GBATemp! :angry:
Blame $ony for banning my account even though I never played online. And blame them for not marketing any exclusives for the Vita that are actually good. Ports on a handheld don't appeal to me unless they're a lot better than elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong.

MGS on a console (or PC, wishful thinking) ? Great.

MGS on a handheld? eugh, no.

that and MGS2 HD really soured me... especially on 360 because its achievements are shared with MGS3... so as much as I wanted to finish the campaigns on MGS2 so I could take my time and enjoy MGS3, the game epically trolls the snot out of me and decides to make my last run of it impossible.

And MGS3 3D on the 3DS is just flat out impossible to play without a Circle Pad Pro... which now on my 3DS XL, is even more impossible to get, because Nintendo had to be scumbags and make it where you had to order it direct from them instead of being able to pick one up from any stores.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Don't get me wrong.

MGS on a console (or PC, wishful thinking) ? Great.

MGS on a handheld? eugh, no.

that and MGS2 HD really soured me... especially on 360 because its achievements are shared with MGS3... so as much as I wanted to finish the campaigns on MGS2 so I could take my time and enjoy MGS3, the game epically trolls the snot out of me and decides to make my last run of it impossible.

And MGS3 3D on the 3DS is just flat out impossible to play without a Circle Pad Pro... which now on my 3DS XL, is even more impossible to get, because Nintendo had to be scumbags and make it where you had to order it direct from them instead of being able to pick one up from any stores.
On the PS3 and the PSVita MGS 2 HD and MGS 3 HD have separate trophy lists. As for MGS on handhelds, have you tried Peace Walker? It's fantastic - you should give it a go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.