Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Game companies make tons of money off the games themselves (which is why systems are sometimes sold at a loss) so it's in their best interest to get customers buying the most games, not just playing them. In many situations BC is more trouble than it's worth because it often means supporting games that are either no longer sold or games that have dying sales (Nintendo gets no money from you taking your existing GC game and playing it in a Wii for example).

Virtual console and the like get past the investment/return issue by offering digital versions of games (when viable) which cost much, much less per-copy than hard copies, and they make sure that any old games you're playing are games you're freshly buying from them.

However I don't think we'll be seeing GC virtual console games due to the bandwidth costs and potential storage issues.

BornInBlack

GangnamTemp
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soggypizza.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Canada
However I don't think we'll be seeing GC virtual console games due to the bandwidth costs and potential storage issues.

I'm sure Iwata said they plan to have digital copies of Wii U games available from day 1, back when they announced the same for 3ds, I think it's safe to assume that the size will be at least as big as gc games and then assuredly larger, so I would highly doubt bandwidth is what would hold them back. In some recent interviews Reggie has reminded anyone that has forgotten that Wii U supports external HDD's. Something I should hope they wouldn't tout if it wasn't capable of storing games.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The WiiU really doesn't need to play GC games. It's just pointless to keep supporting the GC.
Honestly if you want to keep playing GC games when the WiiU comes out, just don't sell your Wii. Problem solved.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure Iwata said they plan to have digital copies of Wii U games available from day 1, back when they announced the same for 3ds, I think it's safe to assume that the size will be at least as big as gc games and then assuredly larger, so I would highly doubt bandwidth is what would hold them back. In some recent interviews Reggie has reminded anyone that has forgotten that Wii U supports external HDD's. Something I should hope they wouldn't tout if it wasn't capable of storing games.
The costs are likely to be higher for Wii U games, but so is the price. Ocarina Of Time wasn't $10 at launch, but it's $10 as a virtual console title. My concern is if they view digital distribution of GC games (and the framework needed to support them) as something that would get them enough of a net gain.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expect Gamecube games to go the way of Virtual Console for around $15 dollars a pop, so that will do me. Besides when the crap is taken out of Gamecube games can be smaller, an example is Luigis Mansion dropping down to 200 or so meg

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So.. do you guys think the Wii U will be able to emulate gamecube games after it gets hacked?

You make it sound so sure that it's going to get hacked. Yeah it might get hacked, but it could be a while and be after it's lifetime. Hell, look at the 3DS, that thing still isn't hacked.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The funny thing is since the Wii U can use both external hard drives as well as SD I'm thinking the system will be sightly easyer to softmod will see on that one but point and case if and when we do see softmods for the system you can bet emulators will soon follow GCN included

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You make it sound so sure that it's going to get hacked. Yeah it might get hacked, but it could be a while and be after it's lifetime.
Or it could be very soon after it's released. Just sayin'.

Skeptical on that, considering the 3DS plays a factor in it. If it's held up this long, I doubt Nintendo is going to make the WiiU easily hackable.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
The funny thing is since the Wii U can use both external hard drives as well as SD I'm thinking the system will be sightly easyer to softmod will see on that one but point and case if and when we do see softmods for the system you can bet emulators will soon follow GCN included

What? The 3DS can use SD. And, in storage and interface terms, there's very little difference between an SD reader and a hard drive. Why do you think the WiiU is going to be so easy to hack???

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Ok, why do you not just get a Gamecube or Wii instead of expecting the Wii U to have Gamecube compatibility.
It's silly to be backwards compatible with a system from 2 generations ago.
They will probably put some games on the Wii U eShop like Mario Kart DD and Super Mario Sunshine, since the Wii had N64 games and they would want to step their Virtual Console collection up from that.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
There's no reason why the Wii U can't be compatible with gamecube games?
That's true, and it's the reason Nintendo is putting gamecube games on virtual console.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That's true, and simultaneously saving a small amount of money and making double profit by forcing you to rebuy the games is it's the reason Nintendo is putting gamecube games on virtual console instead of allowing gamecube backwards compatibility
Fixed.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
That's true, and simultaneously saving a small amount of money and making double profit by forcing you to rebuy the games is it's the reason Nintendo is putting gamecube games on virtual console instead of allowing gamecube backwards compatibility
Fixed.
Oh, brilliant idea! Why don't they include N64 cartridge slots too?

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fixed.
Oh, brilliant idea! Why don't they include N64 cartridge slots too?

well because it would be more difficult, take up more space, and wouldn't make sense to add a cartridge slot to a console that reads discs. The Wii U already reads discs, so it would be easy to read gamecube DISCS. your poor rhetorical question wouldn't be very plausible.

But what are you gonna do. Complaining on gbatemp wont help. Once it gets hacked, I'll just download the games i already own, or maybe there will be an emulator that will read my games

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.