Gaming The xbox 360, just plain depressing

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
godsakes said:
DownSince86 said:
Anyway my point is if you take care of it like your supposed to you should have few problems with a 360. Yes part of it is Microsoft's fault because the thing is prone to overheating but EVERYONE should know this by now and everyone should take precautions to prevent it from happening.

what a load of nonesense

if microsoft wishes to make a console which can only stand operating conditions inside a fridge they really shouldn't have marketed their console outside of iceland.

I think Greenland is actually the cold one
tongue.gif

But I wholly agree. The 360 was just an unreliable product from the get-go and that was MS's fault. You shouldn't need to put your video game system inside a vacuum sealed container with zero gravity in order for it to work properly....

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DownSince86 said:
godsakes said:
DownSince86 said:
Anyway my point is if you take care of it like your supposed to you should have few problems with a 360. Yes part of it is Microsoft's fault because the thing is prone to overheating but EVERYONE should know this by now and everyone should take precautions to prevent it from happening.

what a load of nonesense

if microsoft wishes to make a console which can only stand operating conditions inside a fridge they really shouldn't have marketed their console outside of iceland.

You know as well as I do that it isn't THAT bad. What about the PS2 and the disc read error problem? Just about everyone I know had that at one point or another but you rarely heard people bash Sony over the issue. People hate the xbox because they hate Microsoft for whatever reason, simple as that.

I don't really understand a lot of what you guys say. You claim modern consoles should hold up to wear and tear like the SNES, Genesis, and the other cartridge based systems but you forget that these consoles HAD NO MOVING PARTS WHAT SO EVER. They didn't have CPUs and GPUs that would fail because a fan gave up or the works got gunked up by dust because you thought it was a good idea to leave the thing in a room that needs a good dusting. They were built to be children's toys from the start and used second rate components as to reduce the price. There was also less reason to rush the product to stores as the market was not the same as the one that exists today.

Sure Microsoft is a fault for some design defects but they have attempted to fix them over the years. They've repaired consoles they legally didn't have to and in a lot of cases sent brand new ones to customers. They've revised the hardware numerous times... They know that they have to keep their customers happy. BTW if the hardware problems are really so bad how come "broken" consoles are begin bought on ebay left and right? It is pretty easy to fix most issues with the hardware if you know how. I've personally sold consoles to people in Russia who repair and re-sell them in their country and they pay huge sums of money just in shipping ($600 USD on shipping alone in some cases). There is obviously a demand for the platform.

That may be but a console should survive that

No piece of hardware is designed to be mistreated like that. If your jamming wired controllers in to the usb port the wrong way, dropping the thing on the ground all of the time because the bag in your hand slipped, or allowing a guy who smokes 24/7 to run the thing for 12+ hours everyday in a dusty room your going to have problems at some point.

Have you ever worked on a smokers computer? Even in the cleanest of houses the inside of that thing will be caked with dust. Now imagine that going on inside of a console that is known to be prone to overheating in the wrong environment.

An Xbox 360 (and PS3 for that matter) is closer to a computer than it is to an old school console. Even the Wii is like that with all the moving parts...how many threads have you seen on this site about broken disc drives and overheating because of wiiconnect24?

IMO it all goes back to Microsoft bashing for the most part. Yes there are 360s out there that have broken for no good reason but it happens a lot less often these days than it did with the models that were available at launch and it doesn't occur any more often than it does with things like HDTVs. Sometimes it takes a few revisions to get things right and as long as you do your existing customers right it shouldn't be a problem. At the same time it isn't Microsoft's responsibility to fix something that was broken because of the customer's mistreatment of the hardware.
You know I said not to argue, I know all that shit and just wanted my story to get out there, not start some what's better or worse thing, yeah it turned into that, but really I don't even care if people even comment on this.
And yes I have worked on a smokers computer, it's not pleasant and it's a mess. And indeed I can't stay focused for very long.
But really my point is, this was not up for debate nor was this put up for this crap, in fact I put this up more as a funny story than something to go this far.
And DownSince86 we get it already.

godsakes

Trophies
XP
Country
DownSince86 said:
IMO it all goes back to Microsoft bashing for the most part.
no it's because people are pissed when their consoles breakdown, i own every console (bar the ps3) of the last 2 generations and only the 360 has failed on me - and i would be fine with that if that was a one off thing where i was just unlucky but everyone of my close friends has had to replace their 360 within a year.

DownSince86 said:
BTW if the hardware problems are really so bad how come "broken" consoles are begin bought on ebay left and right?
because people buy them cheap and patch them up with the xclamp (which has questionable lifespan) and flog them off to the people who need to replace their failed 360's - these people should never have been in that position.

QUOTE(DownSince86 @ Dec 9 2009, 11:54 PM)
At the same time it isn't Microsoft's responsibility to fix something that was broken because of the customer's mistreatment of the hardware.
it is mistreatment if i decide to use my 360 as a football, bake it in the oven, drop it down the stairs - it is NOT mistreatment to stick it in a room, hook it up to the TV and play games!! if you want to use a games console as on ornament be my guest but don't be surprised if people actually play it

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Edhel said:
A Gay Little Cat Boy said:
...Was that top part even English?
And I am enjoying my PS3 ^-^

tl;dr: = Too long; didn't read.
Thank you, I am horrible enough with spelling, lol crazy crap like that throws me off

Blue Zoidberg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
this thing is still going on?
Ye gads, it was only 2 pages this morning and now 6?

You screwed up your xbox, good for you.
You like the PS3, good for you.
You keep ranting and trying to excuse yourself, not good for you.

I agree with War and Rock Raiyu on this.

soulfire

gear... secando
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
War said:
tl;dr: bitching thread.

Enjoy your PS3.

then why you even post

thats not even cool to dont read something and say something like that. don't post at all then.

on topic.

i bought a xbox a week ago so i hope i dont get to much problems.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Blue Zoidberg said:
this thing is still going on?
Ye gads, it was only 2 pages this morning and now 6?

You screwed up your xbox, good for you.
You like the PS3, good for you.
You keep ranting and trying to excuse yourself, not good for you.

I agree with War and Rock Raiyu on this.
Hey, I am just as shocked as you are here.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Edhel said:
I have heard of people getting banned for not having a 'proper' official Microsoft hard drive connected to their system, or just having some fan mod installed. Microsoft are just being anal and deem it as modified, thus breaking their TOS.
frown.gif
And when you get banned from the 360, GAME OVER MAN! Done for.

Oh really? The 360 in my sig is working just fine despite being banned. You don't know how to take care of your ****, this thread was entirely unnecessary and pointless, and just plain trolling.

PS3s are good consoles, but it doesn't have TOO many appealing games (even less appealing considering you have to pay for them), and won't have many until next year or 2011 even and by then the next gen of consoles will be close to release.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ZeWarrior said:
Edhel said:
I have heard of people getting banned for not having a 'proper' official Microsoft hard drive connected to their system, or just having some fan mod installed. Microsoft are just being anal and deem it as modified, thus breaking their TOS.
frown.gif
And when you get banned from the 360, GAME OVER MAN! Done for.

Oh really? The 360 in my sig is working just fine despite being banned. You don't know how to take care of your ****, this thread was entirely unnecessary and pointless, and just plain trolling.

PS3s are good consoles, but it doesn't have TOO many appealing games (even less appealing considering you have to pay for them), and won't have many until next year or 2011 even and by then the next gen of consoles will be close to release.
I said this already, this was 2 years ago when the system had more problems and yes indeed I do know how to take care of my shit, I treat that thing like God handed it to me, since I know damn well at that time I didn't have the money to buy another one. Assuming I am here just to troll is an outrageous accusation.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I said this already, this was 2 years ago when the system had more problems and yes indeed I do know how to take care of my shit, I treat that thing like God handed it to me, since I know damn well at that time I didn't have the money to buy another one. Assuming I am here just to troll is an outrageous accusation.

No. With a bold title like QUOTEThe xbox 360, just plain depressing
It really isn't all that outrageous. I really doubt you 'treat it like god handed it to you', if you managed to let the thing break, what? 2-3 times in a matter of weeks?

I play mine constantly in 80-90 degree weather, for multiple hours a week and it didn't RROD on me. Gonna be a year that I've had it on the 21st of this month as well.

I'm not saying you don't take care of all your stuff, but you clearly abused your console.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ZeWarrior said:

No. With a bold title like QUOTEThe xbox 360, just plain depressing
It really isn't all that outrageous. I really doubt you 'treat it like god handed it to you', if you managed to let the thing break, what? 2-3 times in a matter of weeks?

I play mine constantly in 80-90 degree weather, for multiple hours a week and it didn't RROD on me. Gonna be a year that I've had it on the 21st of this month as well.

I'm not saying you don't take care of all your stuff, but you clearly abused your console.
Then your just one lucky dude for it to have no problems, really maybe it was something I did without even noticing, not sure.
And yeah I am bad with titling things, if I could leave something untitled I normally do, since well my titles are always like that.
I guess I should apologize if I rubbed off as a troll to everyone.
Sorry it was not my intention to do so.
But really I wanted was to say what happened to my 360, not start something like that, it did turn into that and I am sorry again.
I apologize for everything

mattchase00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've not once had a problem with my xbox 360, I bought it 3 years ago, and still don't have any issues. (my controller does, but thats my own fault for spilling coke on it) I have it properly ventilated, has its own section on my wooden entertainment center shelf with plenty of room to breath on all sides (I never, EVER put my consoles on the carpet, this alone make the heating problem 50 - 100 times worse because it has no way to breath), and played it for about 35-40 hours a week when I was laid off from my job. Its survived Lan parties hosted at my house playing halo ect.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Whenever a complaint arises, especially with 360 and PS3 in the same post, a long thread is likely to follow. Sometimes people just want to have their say, sometimes they want to argue previously mentioned points. Still, I don't blame the one who started it - let be said what one feels the need to say. Even the trolls and fanboys. Just don't let it become a flame war where nobody can hear anything but the voice inside their own heads.

Whilst I think the 360 is the worst designed games console ever invented (based on the sheer volume of heat related issues), it's certainly improved in its Jasper iteration. Considering that the 360 has the best GPU ever put in a games console and has produced many great games in great quality to play on, the 360 more than makes up for its history of overheating, probably because it never had such a high price as the PS3 for similar quality games. The only thing I wish 360 had more of is anti-aliasing.

On previous points, yes, the 360 needs to breath. It's like a child that way. If it RRoDs, then M$ DO offer a FREE repair service, and will even pick it up from your home. If you've voided your warranty for whatever reason... RRoD is still easy to fix, and usually the fix sticks if you know what you're doing. Be thankful that it's much easier to fix than when a PS3 goes bad - special ovens and heatguns to fix such a tiny problem.....

I'm not against the PS3 though, I just don't own one because it's so damn expensive when I'm only interested in at most 5 games. Kingdom Hearts 3 would make me buy it though...

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
godsakes said:
also i'll say the xbox1 is awesome - i was using mine with XBMC for streaming until i decided to get HD films, it's also got the best arcade emulators outside of PCs

i have to agree with that, that is the only reason i got a xbox 1 for the emulators, so far the xbox 1 is still working, i have had it for 3+ years rarely use it for xbox games just xbmc those microsoft bans on the 360 are very harsh, i know nintendo can be just as aggressive with their updates but microsoft take it to extremes.

JayAreVee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised at the use of statistics in this topic. It's nice to see that everyone here does there research. As for me, I only have my anecdotes. So, let me just say that I purchased my 360 four years ago (back when they still came with ten gig hard drives) and it has never died on me once. No red rings to speak of.

Because of this, I find it a tad unreasonable that everyone only points out the negatives of the console. I admit, I have heard of this high failure rate, but it has never happened to me or any of my friends.

To cap off the argument as a whole, I think most people need to consider that the 360 has a fine selection of games, a good online service (not necessarily community
tongue.gif
), and if you maintain it properly (yes, I know, maintenance sucks) then there is no reason why it can't compete with the all mighty PS3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: @AncientBoi I'm going to outright block you now.