The Witcher 2 is Currently FREE on Xbox 360!

Tw2_logo_newsheader.jpg

UPDATE: The Witcher 2 is now backwards compatible with Xbox One! That may be why it is free!
UPDATE 2: The game will be free until February 5th at Midnight.

We don't have any news on how long this will last, but as of January 21st, 2016 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is free on the Xbox 360 marketplace. This game often goes on sale on GOG and Steam, but rarely on Xbox 360, and never for free. Could this be an error? Could it soon become backwards compatible for Xbox One? Or could CD Projekt Red simply be acting awesome and use this to promote The Witcher 3?

Either way, snatch a download code for free on either on your 360 system or here.

After you do that, discuss in the comments below about what you think this could all be about. Enjoy!

Hyperstar96

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Hyperstar96,

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Thanks for the heads up! The Witcher 2 was added to Xbox One's backwards compatibility a few hours ago, so maybe that has something to do with it?
Oh it was? How about that. I'll add that to the OP! Thanks for the clarification. I'm fairly certain that's the reason!

Reactions: Mama Looigi

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For XO users playing via backward compatibility, another point of note is Witcher 2 is a 2-disc game... something that wasn't possible before. I'm thinking one of the reasons MS are giving it away is to see if (or how many) any issues pop up. Fine game for a freebie anyway, it's a great port (if a bit twitchy to control in my opinion)

....Maybe we'll be getting the likes of Mass Effect 2 & 3 released via BC soon!

Reactions: Ericzander

loco365

Trophies
XP
I am probably going to get it, but there's one tiny problem: My MS money apparently expired, so I don't have any valid payment options anymore and can't get it. Guess I'll add my debit card...

D

Deleted User

Can anyone confirm that they can download this in the UK? I can't seem to find a download button on the UK 360 Market, and I've tried the link in the OP (to the PC online store), and it says that "the offer isn't available in your region". I mean at what point would MS not include UK users into the offer...

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone confirm that they can download this in the UK? I can't seem to find a download button on the UK 360 Market, and I've tried the link in the OP (to the PC online store), and it says that "the offer isn't available in your region". I mean at what point would MS not include UK users into the offer...
I don't think it's free in the UK....yet... but has been announced, for US, Canada, France, Germany and UK. Probably not yet free for France or Germany either - check tomorrow maybe. It was on Games With Gold sometime last year so already downloaded it earlier on my Xbox One - pity I still only fire up Fallout 4 when I switch it on though!

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Seems to be US only at this point. Quite a few friends in various locations tested it and all received the same error message :(

Reactions: Deleted User

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Probably a promotional thing from CDPR. It's never been free on Steam, no, but it has been less than $5 in sales several times. I can't imagine the 360 version looks even 1/4th as good as the PC version, so free is probably the right price comparatively.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this the enhanced edition? Cause I already own it on disc. Didn't get very far. the controls were horrible. 3 has much better controls and overall a much better gaming experience imo.

EDIT: Yes it is the enhanced edition. and it isn't listed under games for gold. Meaning anyone, including free players can grab Witcher 2 for free.

Last edited by chartube12,
Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enhanced Edition is the only edition on consoles, isn't it?

Anyway, already got it free years ago on my JTAG (oooh naughty) but still did this anyway, on the off hand chance I somehow ever wind up with an Xbone or something.

edit: Pretty lame you have to enter credit card info to get something that's free.

Last edited by tbb043,

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enhanced Edition is the only edition on consoles, isn't it?

Anyway, already got it free years ago on my JTAG (oooh naughty) but still did this anyway, on the off hand chance I somehow ever wind up with an Xbone or something.

edit: Pretty lame you have to enter credit card info to get something that's free.
Really? I just searched for it on the xbox 360 dashboard, it said it was free, so i clicked download and that was it. No credit card required. Must be for xbox live gold members only so that is probably why i did not have any issues getting it.

Last edited by cvskid,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...