Hardware The "what computer should I buy/build" thread?

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thats my case : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...6-042-_-Product

(i jsut bring it in a shop if i need to cut something in , pretty usefull to have an acrylic case lol like my gpu didnt fit , so i ahd to make a hole (i paid someone cause i wanted it to look good if i tried it myself...ish ...))

also about the ram , i had some problem at first , i had this : 1 corsaire 2gb , 2 corsair 1 gb each , and 1 kingston 4gb , i tried to put all of them at the same time , but i kept getting bsod , after a ram check i discoverred that the 2 corsaire 1gb couldnt be use with the 2 other one ,always showing me errors after some tests but once i removed them , the kingston 4gb and the corsaire 2 gb didnt get a single error.. so i guess they are ok with each other lol(but i have 2 gb of ram doing nothing on my desk lol (and yes i followed the pairing thing in the motherboard manual )) )

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
why that case xD ?
for a PC that is going to be used for gaming , i don't think that was one of the best investments considering the limited amount of ventilation and space.

i am guessing you were getting BSOD because the RAM weren't matching .
the mobo has 4 slots for memory right ? and out of the 4 slots , there should be 2 matching pairs that are meant to be in pairs . since you probably put the 4GB + 2GB together , they weren't matching , thus' giving you errors and BSOD .

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its no wonder a 6950 didnt fit in that
that "cube" wasnt meant for high performance parts
just a compact computer

I do hope you got some UV lights though for that case

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the case is for the look : ) i like it lol as for the vantilation i saw something (dont remember where i saw that i sorta need to find it lol) it was 2 piece , one the control the other was 3 fan connecter , i was thinking of putting it on top of the case (would need some cutting again , not a problem ) then itll have a freaking big ventillation lol

ho and the ram i never quite understood why but they seem to work in pair... lol they worked and after i checked in the manual i saw that they were in pair .. i was like whaaat .....

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
What's a good computer website that ships to Australia because the one I was going to order from is WAAAAAY overpriced. Damn I wish we had newegg here.

kylehaas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
why that case xD ?
for a PC that is going to be used for gaming , i don't think that was one of the best investments considering the limited amount of ventilation and space.

i am guessing you were getting BSOD because the RAM weren't matching .
the mobo has 4 slots for memory right ? and out of the 4 slots , there should be 2 matching pairs that are meant to be in pairs . since you probably put the 4GB + 2GB together , they weren't matching , thus' giving you errors and BSOD .
All mobos are different in terms of how they handle unpaired or random pairs of RAM.
When in doubt, run memtest86+ and take notes on what your speeds and timings are.
Keep in mind that the lower the timing is and the higher the frequency is (or transfer speed), the better.
If it can pass a handful of tests without problems, you're fine. Sometimes RAM takes a lot of tweaking.

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
hi guys i'm saving up for a new computer
tongue.gif
, what do you guys think about this one? http://cpscomputers.nl/pcs-en-amp-computer...ab=configuratie , someone says to me the videocard sucks.. i'm not a big gamer but i would love
to play some bioshock 1&2 gta iv, and homefront and DNF would be nice lol. anyway would that be a good choice or would i feel stupid
after a while for buying it?

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Originality said:
If you can afford it, you really should upgrade to the HD 5770. I'm not sure the HD 5450 can play Bioshock and GTA4 at anything other than low settings. That is if you can even get Bioshock to run at all (curse you SecuROM!!!).
how about the 5570?
smile.gif
getting a offer right now but the guy is a little bit fishy. paypal could save me right when he's screwing me?
tongue.gif

kylehaas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd definitely get something more like the 5770 or better.
GTAIV is horribly coded for max detail and won't run flawlessly on ANY system.
Other games you mentioned, like the Bioshock series, should run fine maxed out at moderate resolutions.
If you're planning on playing in 1080p, I'd absolutely, DEFINITELY go with a HD5770 or better.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nico445 said:
Originality said:
If you can afford it, you really should upgrade to the HD 5770. I'm not sure the HD 5450 can play Bioshock and GTA4 at anything other than low settings. That is if you can even get Bioshock to run at all (curse you SecuROM!!!).
how about the 5570?
smile.gif
getting a offer right now but the guy is a little bit fishy. paypal could save me right when he's screwing me?
tongue.gif
Actually, Paypal policy is really bad. Paypal will only save your ass when sellers did not claim to ship the item.

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
trumpet-205 said:
nico445 said:
Originality said:
how about the 5570?
smile.gif
tongue.gif
Actually, Paypal policy is really bad. Paypal will only save your ass when sellers did not claim to ship the item.
ok thanks for the advice guys
smile.gif
i'm saving up a bit more to get a fancier system.
tongue.gif

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
ah ok thanks
smile.gif
, the shop where i'm buying it from doesn't have the Samsung Spinpoint F3
and didn't seem to be much price difference between the psu's so i thought whatever
tongue.gif

not going to build it myself since i don't feel like screwing it up
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @AncientBoi my condolences to both of you +2