Hardware The "what computer should I buy/build" thread?

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lecture.gif

Someone sticky this shit.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Im not normally in this part of the forum, but I was about to post asking about video cards and harddrives and I have noticed only a couple of what computer to buy/build threads

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
JinTrigger said:
Im not normally in this part of the forum, but I was about to post asking about video cards and harddrives and I have noticed only a couple of what computer to buy/build threads
then i guess you should post your question in here, huh

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Flaming aside, it might actually be worth making a part selecton guide (with a proper thread title) with some general advice for those who haven't yet decided to commit themselves to getting new parts. And getting it stickied.

Then again, most questions can be answered using the guide I've been linking over and over since first finding it from another member on these forums:
Guide.png

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
Flaming aside, it might actually be worth making a part selecton guide (with a proper thread title) with some general advice for those who haven't yet decided to commit themselves to getting new parts. And getting it stickied.

Then again, most questions can be answered using the guide I've been linking over and over since first finding it from another member on these forums:
Guide.png
this one's a little simpler
GuideSimple.png

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:

Guide.png
I'd have a hard time promoting a guide which recommends AMD for any machine under 800USD.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
I think it's because the CPU isn't as important as the GPU when playing games.
In certain games its the other way around like WOW, GTA 4, Minecraft and some others.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I might as well post a request.

I've been wanting a gaming computer for a while. Odds are I won't be able to afford anything too good but an entry level one seems to be the best option. My budget is probably gonna be between $400-$450. I mainly just want to play like TF2 on max settings and most relatively recent games on medium settings. I would highly prefer prebuilt since I honestly don't want to hassle with building my own (I have friends who know how and have done it but I'd rather just have something working out of the box).

Not sure if you can really get built-in wireless but that'd be seriously wanted, seeing as I can't currently get access to a wired connection in my room.

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Meh, I might as well post a request.

I've been wanting a gaming computer for a while. Odds are I won't be able to afford anything too good but an entry level one seems to be the best option. My budget is probably gonna be between $400-$450. I mainly just want to play like TF2 on max settings and most relatively recent games on medium settings. I would highly prefer prebuilt since I honestly don't want to hassle with building my own (I have friends who know how and have done it but I'd rather just have something working out of the box).

Not sure if you can really get built-in wireless but that'd be seriously wanted, seeing as I can't currently get access to a wired connection in my room.
http://configure.us.dell.com/Dellstore/con...6449f9fp0c0s558

450USD. Comes with some 24" TN panel, which you could sell and put the money towards a respectable GPU.

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
+$120 to switch to 1TB hdd? Also it looks like no monitor is included in that build.
Monitor is listed right under the price.

Obviously any upgrades should be purchased from other retailers.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep saving and get something better, otherwise you'll be disappointed with it in 6 months time and want/need to dish out more $$$ for upgrades.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
D34DL1N3R said:
Keep saving and get something better, otherwise you'll be disappointed with it in 6 months time and want/need to dish out more $$$ for upgrades.
say that every time , and you won't be getting anywhere .
you just need to know when you think it's the right time .

Aijelsop

Question Asker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-GX620-Interlace...d=137RI4M68Q1L0

I was looking into a Windows 7 desktop, but after learning that I needed to buy a supported 1080p monitor, I'm just going with a nice Windows XP. It's what I have already, but it has all the things I need, like 2GB of RAM, 160GB Harddrive, but I was wondering one thing, what type of graphics card does it have?

I want to play games such as: MapleStory, ROBLOX, etc.
Will this graphics card that it has be supported by these games and OpenGL and DirectX and that stuff? Also, will this computer accept my monitor? (it sucks, but I can't spend $100 on a new one.

Please don't tell me that I can just build one cheaper. I am going with this if it is good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.