Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
196171-01.jpeg

Video gaming communities can be among the worst communities by far. There are communities that pride themselves on complaining and moaning at the developers (actually, that’s a majority of all communities), and some that pride themselves on a hypothetical superiority that the hardware they own is the only hardware that should be owned. I’m the strange guy who doesn’t care about the who, what, or when; I like to know why things happen. I like to see (or attempt to, anyway) why these things continue to happen after so many generations.

[prebreak]Continue reading[/prebreak]

Honestly, from my standpoint, I can’t even really call myself a gamer anymore, which is hilarious because I work as a reporter on a gaming forum. I spend all my hours doing research now and gaming has pretty much dropped off of the priority list. That probably skews my view on the way I see video gaming, but hey, since when is it wrong to have an opinion?

What kind of games do I play, you may ask? I play some computer games and mix it up with handheld stuff, but I don’t hate on any of the other console makers just because I don’t have their console. It annoys me because I would make a purchase, talk to some people about it, and then get laughed at completely because said item has no games, said item has inferior hardware, said item has an absurd price range with no real “payoff.” Why does that kind of stuff matter to some people so much when it works well enough for me?

I strongly believe that gaming should be just a recreation. I play an hour or two a week to take my mind off of the rigors of working as a researcher or from the toils of being a student in the science discipline. I don’t see the correlation of how I played games on a Nintendo console makes me have the mindset of a ten-year old gamer, or how the only real way to experience “true gaming” is by playing on a PC. I do not see that correlation whatsoever. I also don’t see how people can get so riled up over video gaming, but that’s a whole different beast to tackle for another day.

The way I see it, people (realistically) can only afford one option. Choosing one console of a set of different options makes it a difficult choice, and as of this generation’s consoles, they are getting much more expensive, so the choice has to be the right one. Nowadays, these consoles are the same. They push out games with impressive graphics and fancy hardware, but it just does not appeal to me anymore because of the lack of real innovative feel that we used to see in the nineties, things that made gaming consoles an absolute day one purchase. I look at the newest generation of consoles, and I’ll be damned, but I don’t see anything really noteworthy about making a purchase for. It’s starting to become like smartphones, where every new revision they get a slight spec bump, with a better graphics engine, better camera, and then becomes thinner. And for me, that’s where I see this divide coming from. There will always be a subconscious justification to make the purchase right. People have to make this difficult choice, and then they start inventing reasons why their purchase was the justifiable one. Is it a proven fact that with about $500 you can make a computer that can flatten all the current consoles? Sure, but why does it matter? It’s not wrong to want to feel like you made the wrong decision, but nobody wants to make the admission that they chose poorly. When I see these arguments about the Wii U having not reached its potential, sure, the facts say as much that the sales have been poor, or the games are being weakened in the face of better hardware, but there are still happy gamers who own their Wii U and have no problems with it at the end of the day. I don’t see the need to compare the Wii U to something like the PC; it’s like comparing apples to oranges. You can show me as many statistics or fact sheets as you want, but it doesn’t impact me because at the end of the day, gamers should be choosing what they want based on what appeals to them.

And then there’s the whole marketing thing. These big corporations play on us all the time, and hypothetically, they should be taking some of the blame for the plight that created this divide. The big corporations play on our weak emotions and then make big dollars out of us, and when one does better, they essentially rub it in the face of the other developers. Sounds cliché, but with that in mind shouldn’t these developers take a bit of the blame for the issues that plague gaming communities as of late?

So, if you’re just tuning in today, glad to see that you made it here! What do you think about this whole console/PC superiority complex that has gaming communities fighting constantly? Do you think that the idea of gaming communities being divided is a result of our own fabrications? If you’re one of the lucky few that has all of the latest consoles, what do you think about it, having experienced all the different methodologies that developers have provided? Let me know what you think in the comments below!

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goddamn, where the hell do you find this stuff?!

The word "wizardry" gets thrown around a lot these days...

Its not really about the products.
Its about the opinions.
"PS3 is infinitely better than 360" is just another way of saying "My opinion is better than yours"

I wouldn't even say that, necessarily. There's no harm in debating the merits of one system or another, and people shutting themselves into hugboxes and refusing to hear alternate viewpoints isn't any better.

The problem comes when people get so damn attached to their console (or computer, or car, or anything, really) of choice that they draw battle lines and take up "sides." The way these people see it, an insult towards the console or company is a personal slight against them, and that fuels all sorts of nastiness.

I mean, I can appreciate the schadenfreude, but it's still a pretty ugly thing.

Reactions: gamefan5

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I got all 3 consoles.
I use the 360 for multiplats, the Wii for exclusives and the PS3 pretty much for the exclusives as well.
I prefer the 360 controller cause it's a bit more ergonomical, yet I hate the Dpad.
I love the Dpad on the PS3 tho.
The Wii just doesn't appeal to me in general but I like the simplicity of the games for it.

Reactions: MegaBassBX

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I sense this reply will be somewhat similar to my censorship reply

It runs something along the lines of "like what you like as long it is not hurting others*, if you are going to try selling me on the same though you had better bring ammo". Not so many people seem inclined to bring good ammo and I do so enjoy shooting down bad arguments. Granted it seems to be both a help and a hindrance that I have no love or dislike for any companies

*tree hugging types know I am always up for a fight there.

Alternatively you seem to have joined me in doing the postgaming/nongaming gamer bit, http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-nongaming-postgaming-gamer.350157/

That probably feeds back into the above as well -- I like engineering (especially computer, electrical and industrial quantities mechanical/materials), I like game mechanics/systems, I like the maths behind game mechanics/systems and I like to engage in a bit of light literary criticism. Bonus is the games world seems to be a nice example of a somewhat undeveloped err... example for each of those.

Reactions: Ryukouki

bradzx

x-Darkie-x
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care which game system is best. All I want is play for fun. I usually to Nintendo system but I notice other game look cool and awesome, but my mom won't let me because I have bad happen spend my money for game. Lol. But someday, I will buy it.

Reactions: RemixDeluxe

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
One thing I hate the most when people mix opinions with facts (I hate saying word facts as then is starts to sound like lame argument..). This is core problem with PC vs Console wars as there's no argument againts that PC is most powerful and customizeable gaming system. That definitly doesn't mean it wouldn't be enjoyable to play with console! For some reason some users only playing with consoles are trying to argue againts that with various things like "you can't buy powerful PC with console price" which isn't related to any way to the fact that you CAN build more powerful machine and of course it would cost more...
Then with some users only playing with computers begin to make same mistake and start to list all the reasons why their decision sticking with PC is best thing.

That said of course I would buy the games for computer where I sinked couple thousand euros for cheaper starting price than for last gen console that I have under my TV. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy games for that console and I wouldn't enjoy them, with Nintendo devices I usually enjoy games even more than playing with computer even if that's the cheapest console there is!

Choosing between Playstation and Xbox may be most fought thing besides PC vs Console as those two systems are actually pretty much alike and share mostly same game library but choosing another one almost completely closes another one off as they have their own ecosystems. Of course you could get both but in terms of money it's not that wise when 99% games are the same for both. This brings problem said in that Wikipedia article that if all friends own Xbox your choises become limited as buying Playstation leaves you behind the circle and of course you haven't bought inferior system as all your friends like it and you just invested hundreds of euros for it!

liamash3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really care about owning only one console. I'll tend to purchase a console for a game series it has that I like (eg; Halo for Xbox systems) and just be happy to play that. I play game consoles for having fun and enjoying the games, not because I want to brag to friends that I own x and it's better than y because z.

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
I don't own or have ever owned any major consol (unless the NDSL is considered one). That said, I have played a number of hours on playstation 1's, playstation 2's and 3's (at a friend, nearly completed Crash Bandicoot 3, by regularly visiting a ps2 demo stand nearly completed Rayman and Ratchet'n'Clank 1&2, fully completed Heavenly Sword and nearly Uncharted on a ps3 demo stand. Besides that I've played a whole assortement of other games fleetingly) and a number of xBox 360 games (a good bit of Battlefield Bad Company, Transformers, Spiderman 3 and a Kinect sporty-thing-forgot-the-name). The xBox has been the only one that has crashed or froze on me regularly, and I have been to a number of countries.
I'll say that I don't want anything to do with whatever has a Microsoft mark on it.
Micro has been so dissappointing to me over and over again (and I'm talking about Micro in general) that I just don't trust it anymore.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been playing video games a little too long to get caught up in the whole "My system is better than yours!!!!" deal.

Even when the 2600 was the hot item, I owned a lot of other systems (Odyssey2, ColecoVision, Intellivision, TI99/4A,Commodore 64...) so I can honestly say I just love games in general.

The only thing that gets me even remotely upset, is when people make up complete BS about some system or another because they didn't own one and have zero clue as to what they are talking about. One of the reasons you will rarely read a negative word from me about the 360, I don't own one. I will pick one up eventually... I mean I own like 20-30 360 games and like 5 controllers for it... lol

Maybe I do have a problem... I own a lot of games for systems I don't even own. (Is that an addiction?)

The other category of people I have a problem with "Revisionists" not even sure why they try since you know like Google and stuff... I supposed they pray on the lazy and easily manipulated.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I used to be a ninty & PC Fanboy but Foxi4 and ninty them self made me reconsider.
Looking at it from neutral perspective most arguments for and against a platform are just stupid imho.
I have my PS3, Wii, 3DS, PC and I'm happy with those systems (I know, I don't have a Xbox but since the initial Xbone announcement I kinda dislike Microsoft).
In the End it's the games we buy the Platforms for.
I don't exactly need amazing graphics but most of my Online Multiplayer experiences are on PC.
PS3 has all the sexy Metal Gear Games and RPG's sooooooooooooooo.
And Wii for all the Local Multiplayer games ofc.
3DS because I like Pokemon and Monster Hunter.

You may see a Platform Exclusive Game pattern on my consoles.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a simple as this.
If you're a gamer.
You play fucking games. End of story.
Screw your preference, Screw your stereotypes of company's and consoles, screw all that shit. Pick up a controller and play a game on whatever system you want and stop crying about what system is better.

I had every system last gen, and this gen I have a Wii U and an Xbox one. I'll get a ps4 down the line. Why? Because I LIKE GAMES AND COULD GIVE 2 SHITS ABOUT WHAT I AM PLAYING THEM ON

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate it when people say they hate on something. Isn't it enough to just say you hate it? I'm sure Foxi'll be in here soon with his "Nintendo's bad marketing campaign, Nintendo's lack of games, Nintendo, Ninty, Nintellivision", but I don't care about any of that. I could endlessly squabble with people about what's wrong with the gaming industry, but I've got more important stuff to do. I think the Imps in Medina Village had it right when they said, "Mystics fought the humans nearly 400 years ago. My motto is 'forgive and forget', but not many seem to agree with me." Whether it be 5 years or five weeks, you've got to learn to forgive all shortcomings of the game industry (and this would apply especially to Nintendo since they've been the foremost example these years.)
It's a simple as this.
If you're a gamer.
You play fucking games. End of story.
Screw your preference, Screw your stereotypes of company's and consoles, screw all that shit. Pick up a controller and play a game on whatever system you want and stop crying about what system is better.

I had every system last gen, and this gen I have a Wii U and an Xbox one. I'll get a ps4 down the line. Why? Because I LIKE GAMES AND COULD GIVE 2 SHITS ABOUT WHAT I AM PLAYING THEM ON

Well written. People would do good to follow this advice.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
You are too cereal about this. Be a fool, we are playing stupid games here, like some kids. And kids confronting each other all the damn time, especially about their toys. Its fun to declare from time to time that PS3 have no games or XBOX is DONE.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
My opinion is that it's all about the games. Some games play better on PC, some on console, some on handheld, and some on phone/tablet. And since I own all of the above (bar PS4/Xbone), I have nothing hindering me from playing any game I want to.

The only reason I haven't bought into the latest generation is lack of games that interest me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night