The title of hacker, are you one?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are getting confused on the definition between hacker and developer.

-A hacker is someone who accesses data they're not supposed to. By applying a hack (CFW, homebrew, etc...), you by definition are a hacker.

-A developer is someone who develops software.

-Exploit/homebrew developers are the people like smea, who develop (keyword develop!) the hacks for the devices. All exploit/homebrew developers are hackers, but not all hackers are exploit/homebrew developers.

Anyone who applies a hack is a hacker. Anyone who develops a hack is both a hacker and a developer. This is why the people who develop the hacks usually prefer to go by the dev title. It separates them from the people who just apply the hacks. Hopefully this clears things up.
so there is zero entry for being a hacker? A hacker is not a term of ability or skill, it's just a general term for someone who does a thing with a piece of software that isn't intended? So someone could become a hacker by accident? I had no idea the term was with so little merit.

that feels like if I asked for directions, and someone pointed in the right direction, they are now a "teacher" because they taught me what way to go. It seems like a bit of a stretch.

Last edited by osaka35,

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so there is zero entry for being a hacker? A hacker is not a term of ability or skill, it's just a general term for someone who does a thing with a piece of software that isn't intended? So someone could become a hacker by accident? I had no idea the term was with so little merit.
Yes, the term hacker on its own has pretty much no merit. It's just a general term that means somebody who accesses data they're not supposed to using a computer. Guessing somebody's password and logging into their computer technically classifies as a hack, as stupid as it seems.

Conn0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hackers are people who have used unconventional means of getting things done, usually easier than the original method.

Deleted member 408979

Gbatemp amphibian
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
imho,a hacker is someone who can hex something to their leisure.Write code,spoof,stuff like that.

And i want to become like that one day,and use my knowledge for common good.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm no hacker, but I do go by many names:

Modder. Assembler. Technician. The Wi-Fi God. Developer. Pirate.

But no, hacker is not one of my handles.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think hacker should be used for developers who hack and discover exploits for consoles / computers?.
Just wanted to say, I love your sig, and those are the two Switch games I want the most. <3

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm no hacker, but I do go by many names:

Modder. Assembler. Technician. The Wi-Fi God. Developer. Pirate.

But no, hacker is not one of my handles.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just wanted to say, I love your sig, and those are the two Switch games I want the most. <3
Thank you <3 . Love to you <3.
THIS SIGNATURE WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS TO DO

What do you mean with "The Wi-Fi god :P"?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean with "The Wi-Fi god :P"?
Whenever older friends of mine or family has Wi-Fi issues, I reboot their router, and they praise me for "fixing their Wi-Fi".

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
The term "hacker" can mean many different things. IMO it's something more than just using programs to do sketchy things; it implies at least a basic knowledge of what's going on. I prefer another definition of it though: someone who hacks together a "there, I did it" solution to something without considering its structural integrity.

Overview of some of Project Pokemon's user groups, with descriptions of who fits in to what category (since it's somewhat relevant):
- ROM Researcher - learns about the structures and functions of things in ROMs so that they can be modified
- Developer - Uses information discovered by researchers to make programs, making the research useful to ordinary human beings
- ROM Hacker - Uses ROM editing tools made by developers to edit ROMs
- Member - Everyone, with an emphasis on those who aren't in any of the above groups

People can be in multiple groups, but oddly enough, the ones making the ROM editing tools are hardly ever the ones making the hacks.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would say most self-titled "hackers" around here, are as much a hacker as someone "cooking" some frozen pizza in their oven is a "chef".

PS: As for me, I'm just a mediocre programmer that sometimes use code from real hackers as a template to make things for myself. I am no more than a frozen pizza cooking guy, and I wouldn't want to pass as a chef ever, that would be uppity posing.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Of course I'm a hacker. I've played this.
Digimon_Story,_Cyber_Sleuth.jpeg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I use to have a guy for that thanks richard