Hardware the switch has a touchscreen? weird?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Weight shouldn't be a problem for me under normal handheld usage for sure, specially considering the old 3DSXL I already use weights ~336g.
Anyway, and I know I might be lazy as fuck, but when I just drop lying on a flat-bed*1 seat in a long distance bus, the weight of supporting even the XL against gravity becomes somewhat annoying after a couple of minutes.

*1 Seats that can really be flattened as a bed, very comfortable. I think that type of seats in buses are only common in Argentina, perhaps Brazil and I don't know about the rest of South America. Here in Germany long distance buses are bullshit in comparison, took one once and since then I only travel by train or plane.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No they aren't. It's just that nobody would buy a "portable" that weighs ten pounds. It's not an early 90s laptop.
Not in the sense that people line up a Sony Xperia, HTC touch, Samsung Galaxy... and the nintendo switch before comparing specs and price. However a lot of what looks to be happening for the switch could well also happen for phones, and while I do not want to read too much into the launch titles/titles I already saw... yeah.

To that end quite a few of the potential audience might have a phone, or have a phone and face a choice between spending the extra on a better phone or a switch. We already saw the rise of IOS gut DS homebrew, take a whole bunch of developers and it is not like the 3ds is riding as high as the DS.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not in the sense that people line up a Sony Xperia, HTC touch, Samsung Galaxy... and the nintendo switch before comparing specs and price. However a lot of what looks to be happening for the switch could well also happen for phones, and while I do not want to read too much into the launch titles/titles I already saw... yeah.

To that end quite a few of the potential audience might have a phone, or have a phone and face a choice between spending the extra on a better phone or a switch. We already saw the rise of IOS gut DS homebrew, take a whole bunch of developers and it is not like the 3ds is riding as high as the DS.
I mean, Nintendo knows everyone and their dog has a smartphone. Which is exactly why they're integrating the smartphone into part of the Switch experience. I don't think we're going to see console-quality games on smartphones any time soon (other than old ports), because developers are making money hand over fist by suckering people with "free" (mtx) crapware already.

Nintendo can keep releasing stuff like Super Mario Run for phones while simultaneously developing higher-quality games for Switch. Android/iOS games don't take a whole lot of resources. They'll make money on both ends.

Last edited by Xzi,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No they aren't. It's just that nobody would buy a "portable" that weighs ten pounds. It's not an early 90s laptop.
Yes, they are. So long smartphones of their foot in portable gaming, Nintendo's portable systems will be competing with them.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes, they are. So long smartphones of their foot in portable gaming, Nintendo's portable systems will be competing with them.
I understand the sentiment, that all devices compete in an environment of limited demand, but if you don't understand the difference between the console gaming market and the mobile gaming market, I'm not sure what to tell you. Just don't get suckered into thinking you're going to get a better experience by paying for all those micro-transactions.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I understand the sentiment, that all devices compete in an environment of limited demand, but if you don't understand the difference between the console gaming market and the mobile gaming market, I'm not sure what to tell you. Just don't get suckered into thinking you're going to get a better experience by paying for all those micro-transactions.
I understand the difference, but that doesn't change how the market works. Nintendo is still competing regardless

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad Nintendo is shilling out artists by getting rid of resistive touch :^)

inb4 "muh gaming muh get professional drawing equipment"

art has been a viable platform on Nintendo handhelds since the DS. Touchscreen isn't a gimmick, it's an expanse towards the demographic of people who use the console.
too bad nintendo chose business instead. not even a stylus this time smh

Last edited by CreAtor135,

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
Skylanders: Imaginators does use the touch screen. Watch this video and go to the 6:35 mark to see it for yourself:

Also, since the Switch touch screen is capacitive, and the DS/3DS/Wii U touch screen is resistive (which means that it is controlled using pressure), that might mean that DS VC on the Switch would be a bit incapable, unless they make a capacitive touch stylus like Apple did with its appropriately-named "Apple Pencil".

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Skylanders: Imaginators does use the touch screen. Watch this video and go to the 6:35 mark to see it for yourself:

Also, since the Switch touch screen is capacitive, and the DS/3DS/Wii U touch screen is resistive (which means that it is controlled using pressure), that might mean that DS VC on the Switch would be a bit incapable, unless they make a capacitive touch stylus like Apple did with its appropriately-named "Apple Pencil".

NintendoSwitchApplePen.
Anyway. The words portable and handheld never sounds so diferent to me before
It's handheld, but portable? At home, i belive.
Portable is my vita and my smartphone.100% with me while Im out.

Last edited by Enigma Hall,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad Nintendo is shilling out artists by getting rid of resistive touch :^)

inb4 "muh gaming muh get professional drawing equipment"

art has been a viable platform on Nintendo handhelds since the DS. Touchscreen isn't a gimmick, it's an expanse towards the demographic of people who use the console.
too bad nintendo chose business instead. not even a stylus this time smh
I doubt this will keep artists from drawing.

There are DS emulators on Android. I doubt there will be any real or many issues.

Portable is my vita and my smartphone.100% with me while Im out.
Switch is about the same size as a Vita without the Joy Cons and you can put the Joy Cons in another pocket.

Reactions: CatmanFan

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

There are DS emulators on Android. I doubt there will be any real or many issues.

Switch is about the same size as a Vita without the Joy Cons and you can put the Joy Cons in another pocket.
How about no? Lol no way I will pass my day with that things in my pocket.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Obviously it won't. But it'll stop artists from drawing on Nintendo consoles which could sometimes be the only way for some to make digital art :^)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously it won't. But it'll stop artists from drawing on Nintendo consoles which could sometimes be the only way for some to make digital art :^)
I obviously meant that, just because the Switch has a capacitive screen doesn't mean artists wouldn't draw on it. At least, most of them, anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: seems like nobody can make these things properly