Hacking The SuperCard DSTWO Beginner's Guide: How to Setup the DSTWO

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for this thread OP. Got me going and I've been having a blast.

I have one question though-- now when I boot the card, it sits there not showing any files while the save disc icon flashes. I think it's because I moved stuff around, and now the last place the card was navigated to no longer exists. If that's the case, how can I fix it? I'm not sure if I remember what my folder setup was before.
You can disable the enter last directory feature from the "globalsettings.ini" file in the "_dstwo" folder. Change enterLastDirWhenBoot=1 to enterLastDirWhenBoot=0

Friend of Sonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right, I give up. How do you launch CATSFC? I have the three files (ini, bmp, and plg) in a _dstwo plug folder. And then the CATSFC folder in the root. I assume I'm supposed to launch the plg, but EOS does not see the file. I've ran searches for an hour trying to figure this out on my own, and I give up.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right, I give up. How do you launch CATSFC? I have the three files (ini, bmp, and plg) in a _dstwo plug folder. And then the CATSFC folder in the root. I assume I'm supposed to launch the plg, but EOS does not see the file. I've ran searches for an hour trying to figure this out on my own, and I give up.
The three files should be in your "_dstwoplug" folder and you need to make sure that the .ini file is properly linking to the other 2.

faster7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3DS XL. You don't explain this in your guide.

After the update finishes, I delete the update DAT file or do I leave it there?

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3DS XL. You don't explain this in your guide.

After the update finishes, I delete the update DAT file or do I leave it there?
How did I not explain it?
How to update your DSTwo's firmware to work on a 3DS (Updated for 3DS v7.0.0-13) said:
You should now be on the latest Firmware, and dstwoupdate.dat (or ds2update.dat) should no longer be on your MicroSD card if it updated correctly.
How to update your nonworking DSTWO's firmware on a 3DS said:
5. After the 3 minutes is up, turn off the 3DS, then put the microsd card back into your computer and delete "dstwoupdateb.dat".

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, this wasn't covered in the original post, but I can't view the cheat descriptions which is bothersome when I want to view the full title because it's been cut off.

Is there any way to view the full title of the cheat and the description like in WoodR4?
Sorry if this has been answered, but I'm just too lazy to view all 23 pages.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, this wasn't covered in the original post, but I can't view the cheat descriptions which is bothersome when I want to view the full title because it's been cut off.

Is there any way to view the full title of the cheat and the description like in WoodR4?
Sorry if this has been answered, but I'm just too lazy to view all 23 pages.
AFAIK this problem was never fixed, for cheats you only get what you can see.
Quick question but I want to double check. Does the DStwo take R4i Gold's .SAV files or do I have to convert them?
Both of those saves should be compatible.

Niklas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for a really good guide.
This thread was very helpful.
Offcourse I might have missed something but there where a couple of questions that I didn't see the solution to, so I thought I post my findings.

MicroSd card:
I wanted to have about 40 GB on my microSD so 32 wasn't enough.
This however turned out to be a little tricky but still possible.
It just needs to be formated to FAT32, but the support for this in Windows 7 was not working for me.
(Since Windows want to format it as exfat instead)
I tried via cmd "format /FS:fat32 /A:32K" but it still resulted in an unreadable card.
So instead I used an Android phone it still formated as extfat (not supported by DSTWO).
Since I knew some apps on Android can do it, I tried a free app named AParted.
That worked like a charm... This also means that it should be possible in Windows with an other third party program (offcourse other android apps as well).
I know that most people probably don't want to use 64 GB cards but it is possible and working (and I like it).

DSTWO files per folder limitations:
This i didn't see until I loaded my card with nds files. Not all files and folders where shown.
The reason was that I had to many in the same folder, the limitation seems to be 230 or 231 (if I counted correctly).
I populated the files and folders using a macro but since they where not shown in a strikt ascending mode I counted
them as well. But it's the combination of folders and files per folder that counts.
So it's important not to have more files in the same folder and offcourse the easy solution was to put the files in a folder structure.
That way it's easy to have as many files as wanted.

Filename lenght:
It's worth mentioning that with the original skin only a small part of the filename is shown for many nds files,
so it's good to rename them and to be honsest it's probably better the other skins/gui you mentioned in the post.
But If someone agaist all odds download the files from internet and they start with "0001 - " it's better to have it in the end.
It makes finding and moving to seperate folders easier as well.

Once again thanks for a really helpful post.
It's the second day of owning a DSTWO and it's a really good card and your post helped me a lot.

Thanks, Niklas

Reactions: Terminator02

Arscis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i want to order a dstwo for use with my 3ds. when i receive it, it's unlikely that the card will be able to support the latest 3ds firmware out of the box right? does that mean i'll immediately have to use the risky method to update it since i don't have access to a ds system?

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i want to order a dstwo for use with my 3ds. when i receive it, it's unlikely that the card will be able to support the latest 3ds firmware out of the box right? does that mean i'll immediately have to use the risky method to update it since i don't have access to a ds system?
No, they should update the dstwo to the correct firmware version before they send it to you.

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh. that's great. who's the most reputable seller for the card then (U.S.)? i've seen realhotstuff mentioned plenty of times.
If you go with realhotstuff(based out of china) it will take 2-3 weeks to get to the US. nds-card(based out of china, but may have a US shipping warehouse --don't remember...) is a little more expensive (a few bucks), but they are gbatemp's official sponsor.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you go with realhotstuff(based out of china) it will take 2-3 weeks to get to the US. nds-card(based out of china, but may have a US shipping warehouse --don't remember...) is a little more expensive (a few bucks), but they are gbatemp's official sponsor.
Unless something has changed, you're talking about realhotstuff.hk, not realhotstuff.com

realhotstuff.com is USA-based, items arrive quickly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end