Hacking The status of Gateway and A9LH

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Most of us GW users like the cheat menu so that is how we justify keeping and using it. Obviously CFW have solutions NTR, and I am not advocating anyone to go out and buy a Gateway at this point (quite the opposite), but if you have it, there are some uses (.3ds when your internal 3DS SD card is full, cheats (already mentioned)). I personally do not use mine much but I like having the option available anyway. A9LH is just supposed to make it easier for GW users to enjoy it (quicker and reliable booting).

Yes, but setbacks I talk about is, not being able to update to 11.0 if you use it, and a lot others. Also 3DS files are kinda eh if you want online access.

solress

Not a dev
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Most of us GW users like the cheat menu so that is how we justify keeping and using it. Obviously CFW have solutions NTR, and I am not advocating anyone to go out and buy a Gateway at this point (quite the opposite), but if you have it, there are some uses (.3ds when your internal 3DS SD card is full, cheats (already mentioned)). I personally do not use mine much but I like having the option available anyway. A9LH is just supposed to make it easier for GW users to enjoy it (quicker and reliable booting).
It's supposed to make it easier for GW users, but losing your GW means you're pretty much bricked, which is a pretty big oversight.

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There have been some interesting developments around the GW Launcher.dat so I'm getting a little bit of hope here that we can use GW next to Luma3DS on A9LH.

GW no likey us tampering with their stuff, so I can imagine they will frown upon any workaround that enables us to use it with current A9LH forks. Be wary of the brick code, they might turn it on their own users (but I seriously doubt it).

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, but setbacks I talk about is, not being able to update to 11.0 if you use it, and a lot others. Also 3DS files are kinda eh if you want online access.
11.0 is accessible on EmuNAND, and it works just fine.
.3DS files are "eh" for sure since you have to inject private headers into them, but one pro I see is that Nintendo can't see whether the .3DS is a legit game you bought or not (whereas .CIA files are installed to the system, which Nintendo can most likely see if they compare it to your eShop purchases).

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With all this, just as someone who looks from the side as I missed Gateway bandwagon when it started. Back then I was envious, back then when Gatway was new I wanted one if I had just also not updated my 3DS.

But now, I have to honestly ask what is the point in using or remaining a gateway user, current CFW's do things better, have better update response especially if you just follow the nightlies of your favorite non-RXtools CFW, and bunch of other features.

That is; does Gateway honestly currently have still some features that "pay back" it's shortcomings?

Well, .3DS files are fast. Just drag, drop, and play. No waiting an hour or two for the game to install first. I use CIAs for online games, least ban risk. But it makes no sense to wait to play an offline game.

<snip>

Last edited by raulpica, , Reason: Removed reply to trashed post -rp

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't play online so I am sorry for overlooking that, currently you can use it from a 9.2 sysNAND via HBL cia and enjoy a 11.0 emuNAND ( I know this will not be popular with updated sysNAND users), which is one of the reasons I kept emuNAND (unforseen circumstances).

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are trying to see how many Gateway thread we can get locked before GW feels our discontent.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just installed mine, i'll test it and post what to edit if it works.

Any luck with your edit. Hope so, it might be enough to sway GW to support directly rather than having people tinkering with their precious code.

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Will I be able to merge my 'GW EmuNAND' with 'GW A9LH SysNAND' to keep my Streetpass data, save files, etc.?

But since there's no GBA support yet I think I'll pass anyway (for now).

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm off to bed, it's always nice to post in GW threads, hope the work around @liomajor was describing comes to fruition. Sounds like a plausible solution to the GW A9LH dilemma. Thank your all for an interesting evening, I hope I was able to make it interesting for your too.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are trying to see how many Gateway thread we can get locked before GW feels our discontent.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Any luck with your edit. Hope so, it might be enough to sway GW to support directly rather than having people tinkering with their precious code.

Tried mine. Didn't work. Probably a CRC check or something that needs patched.

Ryu Kenshin

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, i've used for now old dark_samus a9lh installer (had the files already): https://github.com/dark-samus/arm9loaderhax/tree/1ee8d8849bf8c340bc1421b8a642b8d64d31d165

payload_stage1 > main.c (for A Button)

Code:
#include "common.h"
#include "sdmmc.h"
#include "i2c.h"
#define HID_PAD  ((~*(u16*)0x10146000) & 0xFFF)
#define BUTTON_A  (1 << 0)
#define BUTTON_B  (1 << 1)

u16 pressed;

int main()
{
  // Initialize sdcard and nand
  *(vu32*)0x10000020 = 0;
  *(vu32*)0x10000020 = 0x340;
  sdmmc_sdcard_init();

pressed = HID_PAD;

if (pressed & BUTTON_A) //if a button is pressed
  {
  //Jump to alternate stage2
  sdmmc_nand_readsectors(0x5A000, 0x20, (u8*)0x08006000);
  }
  else
  {
  //jump to normal stage2
  sdmmc_nand_readsectors(0x5C000, 0x20, (u8*)0x08006000);
  }

// Jump to secondary payload
  ((void (*)())0x08006000)();
  return 0;
}

To use B Button change the line to " if (pressed & BUTTON_B) //if b button is pressed "

Currently i'm too tired adding this to aurora's SafeA9LHInstaller... nightshift and +12h without sleep ^^'''

It works, a9lh and gw a9lh :)
Finally, a solution to have the best of both worlds :hrth:

Mega-Mew

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just, about the leak, from Gateway:
we have the info. He will just be removed from future beta. anyway, problem is
just for people who will have issues, again, we will just send them to him, he
will have fun dealing with them :)

Reactions: cearp

Mega-Mew

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Probably just Gateway saying they have gotten as to show they are in control over this situation, but they really don't. There was no real way for them to know who it was, so it's just a loose threat.
Probably, they don't have watermarked their beta file.
So...

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably just Gateway saying they have gotten as to show they are in control over this situation, but they really don't. There was no real way for them to know who it was, so it's just a loose threat.
And how do you know this? Did you compare the MD5 or SHA-256 with someone else's files? PM me a link and I can say for sure.

solress

Not a dev
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
And how do you know this? Did you compare the MD5 or SHA-256 with someone else's files? PM me a link and I can say for sure.
We have received at least 4 different hashes, all the exact same. You will have to do some browsing on your own, but I can at least say Asia leaked a part of the hashes as well in the other thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.