The Sky Is The Limit

no_man_s_sky_the_sky_is_the_limit_c.jpg

Arguably the most awaited game of summer ’16, No Man's Sky finally landed on our PCs and consoles this week. With its immense, unique worlds it brings to the table a new perspective to open-world games, game design… and to life itself.

The game's most likely feature to catch one’s attention is its immensity. This game is not merely open world but open universe. Boasting over 18 quintillion (1.8×10^19) life-sized planets teeming with their own fauna and flora, you can explore each and every one to your liking. Your only limiting factor is the range of the hyperspace jump engines of your current spacecraft and how much fuel the craft presently carries. No Man's Sky is so immense that Hello Games estimated that more than 99.9% of the planets would never be explored by players, The developers managed this feat by procedurally generating almost all elements of the game, allowing mathematical formula to create an exponential set of unique features rather than having the rather small developer team designing them individually. Following in the tracks of Minecraft, the game offers a paradigm shift regarding the possibilities in open-world games.

explore.jpg

However it wasn’t all roses for them. From the game’s secretive development debut, initial tension among the Hello Games team, losing most of their equipments in a flood, delaying the release date, death threats and day-one updates, they've had a lot to deal with. One might also wonder about the point in making a game so immense if all you'll experience is less than 1% of the whole game. But hey, it’s an indie game that offers an AAA experience. We have to appreciate that at the very least!

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 00.42.21.png

Moreover, their fundamentally different approach to game design challenges the conventional ways. “The physics of every other game—it’s faked,” the chief architect Sean Murray explained to The Atlantic. Their game on the other hand offers something else. Every star that you see in the sky is an actual place that you can go to and explore. And your exploration is even credited for being the first to discover a planet and other types of information. Within 24 hours of the game's official launch, Hello Games reported that more than 10 million distinct species were registered by players, exceeding the estimated 8.7 million species believed to exist on Earth. “It’s our universe, so we get to be Gods in a sense,” said Murray in the same article.

Speaking about Gods, over on YouTube Mike Rugnetta asks a simple yet pressing question: "If we are able to simulate universes of massive, life-like complexity within our universe, should we wonder or worry if our own is simulated?” No Man’s Sky might not emulate life as we know it but how far are we from creating such an emulation ourselves, how far are we from being our own Gods? Even prominent figures are leaning towards a simulated “reality”. Elon Musk recently fuelled this thought by stating that “the odds that we're in base reality is one in billions”. When confronted to the question, Sean Murray's answered that "even if it is a simulation, it’s a good simulation, so we shouldn’t question it.”

So what do you all make of it? Should future open-world games be procedurally generated to allow for more randomness and exploration in games? How big is too big? And lastly, what does that signify about our own existence? Are we in a simulation or will we create one? Nevertheless, cogito ergo sum... right?

:arrow:GBAtemp No Man's Sky Review

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Resorting to sarcastic insults is not cool, man. I certainly hope you're better than that. At least phrase your opinion like @marksteele did.
I apologize, it was just that your incredibly flawed comparison brought out the worst in me. :sad:

(plus that remark was directed at the example I gave not your comment :tpi:)

Deleted member 386348

local death grips enthusiast
Trophies
XP
I guess size actually doesn't matter. 18 quintillion worlds that 99.9% of players will never explore? Sure, it's a neat idea, but exploration was supposed to be the selling point. It wasn't "see the same, boring planet with a different color scheme". Plus, RIP Multiplayer.

LoganK93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess size actually doesn't matter. 18 quintillion worlds that 99.9% of players will never explore? Sure, it's a neat idea, but exploration was supposed to be the selling point. It wasn't "see the same, boring planet with a different color scheme". Plus, RIP Multiplayer.
The multiplayer still exists. Servers are struggling. Apparently no one bothered to research what the game actually was. I went in expecting exactly what I'm getting. I'm about to start playing again. If I find a boring planet, I move on. That's the beauty of it. You explore. Every planet isn't meant to make you shit your pants with awe. But the truly unique ones are worth finding.

YamiZee

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I don't think the file size really matters. This game didn't need so many models and textures. The algorithm however is terrible. If it wasn't we would be getting variety in a few gbs.

Reactions: Deleted User

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game's fun. Like it's not everyone's cup of tea, it's kinda like space Mount and Blade. Start off with some shit and do whatever with it. If you want a chill game to sit down with and don't want to worry about finishing, it's good. If you're expecting super awesome space sim combat game, it's not really that.

I can see why it gets shit reviews but I can see why it gets positive ones too. If you're skeptical, wait until it's cheap. If you want something to chill with, this is your game.

Deleted member 386348

Trophies
XP
The multiplayer still exists. Servers are struggling. Apparently no one bothered to research what the game actually was. I went in expecting exactly what I'm getting. I'm about to start playing again. If I find a boring planet, I move on. That's the beauty of it. You explore. Every planet isn't meant to make you shit your pants with awe. But the truly unique ones are worth finding.
... yeah, multiplayer exists.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Big size= high specs requirements, good graphic or medium graphic but lot of content. This game takes 2.7 gb and in terms of graphics it has last gen graphic. The game not looks even close to the wither 3, final Fantasy xv or even gta v. How the fu** im getting 5 fps at the lowest settings in this game?? I don't have best laptop but at least i can run the wither 3 and gta v at playable speed in minimum performance so why not this game. I tell you why because they want me to buy ps4. Because they did it on purpose so we have to buy gaming pc or ps4. Of course people will buy ps4 cuz it's much cheaper so this game is sony plan. Why pay more money and make it exclusive if they can release it on steam and make sure people will still buy only the ps4 version. Well dear sony after i brought from you the extra bass mdr-xb90ex earphones that all i can hear from them is the bass and nothing else i will never buy your products again. Btw i don't care about this game i just like to do drama from everything.
lol either, youre joking our youre actually insane.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you cant expect an indie dev to have perfect servers just yet.

Deleted member 386348

Trophies
XP
lol either, youre joking our youre actually insane.
The PC port is pretty bad, though. I don't know what he's rambling about with the PS4.

you cant expect an indie dev to have perfect servers just yet.
The multiplayer in this game (if it's even around) exists, but it's done horribly. According to the devs, you're never going to find anyone, because it's highly unlikely. A party system would be nice.

LoganK93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As in don't expect it to be an mmo. They mean don't start playing expecting to find your friends in a "lobby". They have already stated it is possible to find other human players. But that isn't the main point. They didn't design the game as a multiplayer space game, but as a "If you run into another player awesome, but don't expect to." This has been clear for some time.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The PC port is pretty bad, though. I don't know what he's rambling about with the PS4.

The multiplayer in this game (if it's even around) exists, but it's done horribly. According to the devs, you're never going to find anyone, because it's highly unlikely. A party system would be nice.
we'll just have to wait i guess.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I dont understand the hate for this game, it seems people have had unrealistic expectations from the very beginning. you cant expect a team of 14 people to make a game like BOTW (another sand box) which is extremely gameplay intensive, remember these guys didnt even setup a Kickstarter to fund this game using their own money, the producer even sold his house to pay for this games development. The long run for this game looks good, it might not have everything you wanted but they probably didnt have the funding in the end to get those great gameplay aspects.

TL;DR: you cant justify a hatred for a game that was made by 14 people. wtf were you expecting?

This game isnt triple a, if it was i'd hate it too but i understand their limitations and in the end based on that I like this game and cant wait to see what they have in store for it later on. (like destiny after the taken king dlc)

Reactions: Prans

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was one of those games where I was excited but wary, because I expected the massive hype to be undeserved, at least somewhat. And I was right. It was rather fun the first few planets I explored, but I quickly realized that there's no natural progression (aside from getting progressively closer to the center of the universe), and it got repetitive rather quickly. A leveling system would have made this game much better, because as it is right now you have to choose between power or inventory slots, and inventory slots are very important for fuel and repairing. Overall I'm disappointed, but then again I've been sick for a week and have only played this when I've had a really bad headache, so maybe I'll enjoy it more when I'm not in constant pain.
TL;DR: you cant justify a hatred for a game that was made by 14 people. wtf were you expecting?
A company's size doesn't negate any criticisms of its product. If a game made by 1000 people is crap, then it's crap. If a game made by 14 people is crap, then it's crap.

Last edited by Pedeadstrian,
Reactions: Deleted User

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This was one of those games where I was excited but wary, because I expected the massive hype to be undeserved, at least somewhat. And I was right. It was rather fun the first few planets I explored, but I quickly realized that there's no natural progression (aside from getting progressively closer to the center of the universe), and it got repetitive rather quickly. A leveling system would have made this game much better, because as it is right now you have to choose between power or inventory slots, and inventory slots are very important for fuel and repairing. Overall I'm disappointed, but then again I've been sick for a week and have only played this when I've had a really bad headache, so maybe I'll enjoy it more when I'm not in constant pain.
I feel like after a few updates this game could be amazing. Like destiny after the taken king.

A company's size doesn't negate any criticisms of its product. If a game made by 1000 people is crap, then it's crap. If a game made by 14 people is crap, then it's crap.
no im saying your expectations were a little high. if you wanted a triple a product.

LoganK93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I consider the technology and language learning to be the "natural progression". Every knowledge stone makes it easier for aliens to get their point across, which in turn makes it easier for you to earn their favor, which usually results in the learning of a new blueprint. There is also the "Path of the Atlas" branch of story, as well as insight into how the races are seen in the universe (for example, the Gek seem to have a more violent history than the knowledge seeking Korvax, etc.) But, I personally enjoyed the scanning in the metroid prime series and many aspects of this game remind me of that alien exploration-while-isolated aspect. I also have a large imagination and tend to project "stories" onto the planets and their creatures.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I consider the technology and language learning to be the "natural progression". Every knowledge stone makes it easier for aliens to get their point across, which in turn makes it easier for you to earn their favor, which usually results in the learning of a new blueprint. There is also the "Path of the Atlas" branch of story, as well as insight into how the races are seen in the universe (for example, the Gek seem to have a more violent history than the knowledge seeking Korvax, etc.) But, I personally enjoyed the scanning in the metroid prime series and many aspects of this game remind me of that alien exploration-while-isolated aspect. I also have a large imagination and tend to project "stories" onto the planets and their creatures.
The problem with the "natural progression" though is that there's a quickly-reached limit. I've already received the "X blueprint has already been learned" message at least a dozen times, and there's no backup reward, like credits or anything. It's really annoying when you go out of your way to reach the next ? just to find that you've already learned what's available.

LoganK93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the "natural progression" though is that there's a quickly-reached limit. I've already received the "X blueprint has already been learned" message at least a dozen times, and there's no backup reward, like credits or anything. It's really annoying when you go out of your way to reach the next ? just to find that you've already learned what's available.
This point I agree with, and I feel that will be remedied in an update. Though I have gotten the "You already know this" message several times, I am still getting new ones too. The only problem is the more you know, the less chance you have of learning something new as the game seems to always pick from the same pool of rewards. Still, a simple fix in a future update hopefully, and certainly not something that turns me off of the game altogether.

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
@MRsonic699 gamers today are becoming more and more demanding, so much so that what really is the formula for a hit game isn't known until it has been hailed so by the players.

@HaloEliteLegend it's true that No Man's Sky might lack in gameplay but it compensates in content. And we don't know what it's really capable of. It might blow up to become the next Minecraft with modding teams and quintillions of applications but it might very well not. Even if it doesn't work out for them in the end, it'll remain in the annals as a "proof of concept" from which future titles might take inspiration from.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: