Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Tell us how much recycling is lie.
In certain areas it is, I personally know a guy who lives in a neighbourhood with dedicated bins for various types of rubbish... that all go to the exact same garbage truck into the same single compartment anyways, making sorting entirely pointless. Not only that, sorting was already done before we introduced dedicated bins - by people in the actual garbage disposal facilities. We take away those people's jobs by sorting our trash, literally. That's not good material for a Temp Truth Bomb though, but worry not - more are coming your way.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My favourite is when the recycling gets packed into containers and shipped off to China, quite a few truck drivers I know do a lot of runs like that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Been a while since I dropped one, but I figured I might as well - here it goes! Truth Bomb #4: Anime are cartoons and mangas are comics. You'll want to argue that they aren't for whatever silly Otaku/Weeaboo/Pseudo-intellectual reason, but they are and deep down you know it's true. We only call them differently because they follow a different art style. It's like the difference between RPG's and JRPG's - RPG is the broader category while JRPG is a sub-category that signifies an RPG of a particular style. It's not even a matter of territorial or ethnical issues either - there's nothing stopping a westerner from animating an Anime, drawing a Manga or coding a JRPG, nothing at all. You can argue all you want, but at the end of the day I'm right and you guys who disagree are wrong. :)

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Finaly someone telling the truth about anime/cartoons ! I had enough of fanboyism on every fucking blog/forums, starting a flame war because someone said "amime is cartoon" and butthurting comparing shitty americans kiddies show to real cartoons, or "animated drawings".

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been a while since I dropped one, but I figured I might as well - here it goes! Truth Bomb #4: Anime are cartoons and mangas are comics. You'll want to argue that they aren't for whatever silly Otaku/Weeaboo/Pseudo-intellectual reason, but they are and deep down you know it's true. We only call them differently because they follow a different art style. It's like the difference between RPG's and JRPG's - RPG is the broader category while JRPG is a sub-category that signifies an RPG of a particular style. It's not even a matter of territorial or ethnical issues either - there's nothing stopping a westerner from animating an Anime, drawing a Manga or coding a JRPG, nothing at all. You can argue all you want, but at the end of the day I'm right and you guys who disagree are wrong. :)
Not only that, but mangas are awkward as fuck to read.

When I was young I didn't know you had to read them the opposite way, I didn't understand shit and so I began to hate Dragonball. True story.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
xROYmR6.jpg

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

You found an image with the only reviewers giving the game a 10/10? :P

Seriously though, it's promising to see Bayonetta getting such good reviews. An average metascore of 91 at the time of writing is cool, though some of the reviews seem to be screaming "It's Bayonetta, it's cool!" and still saying "the story is meh". I'll probably get the game at some point, since it's scoring quite well for the Wii U :)

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
for shame Qtis i thought you was a console collector and like all consoles which have some plus to them. and you wouldn't go low as belittling the Wii U...

FOR SHAME!

some truth has been dropped....

kermit-the-frog-but-that-s-none-of-my-business.gif

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Truth Bomb #5: The time when "retro-style graphics" were cool is over. We're past that point already. We're done. Enough. It's not endearing, it's not groundbreaking, it's not artsy, it's not even nostalgic anymore - it's an excuse to release a piece of software that looks like absolute butts. I'm sick and tired of the whole "Indie" movement releasing pixelated junk, all it amounts to is eye hemorrhaging and violent vomiting. There are certain games that look good in 2D, not everything has to push GPU's to their limits, but that's not an excuse for releasing a game that has the aesthetics of a dry dog turd. I'm not saying that every game should be on the bleeding edge of technology, I'm saying that they should at least look aesthetically pleasing.

People often say crap like "I'm playing the game, not the pixels!" or "graphics only matter to graphics whores!" - please shut up. Gamers were born and bred to appreciate good visuals and that's a fact. If you're going to counter this by saying "well, graphics didn't matter in *Insert Your Console of Preference* days", seek medical attention immediately because you're clearly suffering from selective memory or Alzheimer's. People like to pretend that the "Bit Wars" never happened, but they have - people have always argued over which system has superior games and graphics were a big portion of the debate. Since the dawn of gaming we've been conditioned to argue who has the most "bits", even if most consumers didn't know what the hell that even meant, we just rolled with that because it lays in human nature - bigger is better and more is better, nobody needed any other reason. "Retro" games may not look too impressive by today's standards, but back in the day that's what the pinnacle of engineering was. Don't believe me? Let me demonstrate.

Compare this:

iWCG2Yf.png

"Outlaw", Atari 2600, Second Gen

YZ96iz7.jpg

"Contra", NES, Third Gen

If you lived during that generation switch, your little boxers were filled with pre-pubescent spunk at the sight of your average NES game. This is not a debate, this is fact, and the sales numbers, the fall of Atari and the rise of Nintendo and Sega speak volumes in this regard. Stop convincing yourself that graphics and aesthetics don't matter - they do matter. The gaming world went through a brief phase of nostalgia and we enjoyed a couple of games that purposefully mimicked the style of old games, great, it's been a pleasant ride. Now stop. Don't give developers an excuse for being sloppy and stop glorifying games that look like vomit.

Reactions: chavosaur

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Truth Bomb #5: The time when "retro-style graphics" were cool is over. We're past that point already. We're done. Enough. It's not endearing, it's not groundbreaking, it's not artsy, it's not even nostalgic anymore - it's an excuse to release a piece of software that looks like absolute butts.

I'd say that pixel graphics are still cool. The problem is that these indie developers don't actually give a shit about pixel art and what it can accomplish and, like you said, use it as an excuse for laziness. A lot of indie pixel art titles today pale in comparison to what the developers pulled off with games like Super Metroid or the Metal Slug Series 20 or so years ago.

It can be done well, though. Hotline Miami does the faux-8 bit look well, but stylizes it to fit the setting and mood of the game. If more games did that, it wouldn't be such an annoyance.

I think another big issue is that all these "Retro throwbacks" forget the difficulty of the retro games they're supposed to be emulating. The Best Gamers address this in their Fez review.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'd say that pixel graphics are still cool. The problem is that these indie developers don't actually give a shit about pixel art and what it can accomplish and, like you said, use it as an excuse for laziness. A lot of indie pixel art titles today pale in comparison to what the developers pulled off with games like Super Metroid or the Metal Slug Series 20 or so years ago.

It can be done well, though. Hotline Miami does the faux-8 bit look well, but stylizes it to fit the setting and mood of the game. If more games did that, it wouldn't be such an annoyance.

I think another big issue is that all these "Retro throwbacks" forget the difficulty of the retro games they're supposed to be emulating. The Best Gamers address this in their Fez review.
See, this is the thing - I can appreciate good aesthetics. There are games that pull off the retro look really well without sacrificing aesthetics and those games will always look great or at least acceptable. What I have a problem with is that the "retro-like" style became the go-to model for making a low-budget video game and that concerns me. I feel that developers fart out those games en masse not because that's their artistic choice for their titles but because it's "trendy" and "that's how successful Indies look like". I don't want games to become carbon copies of one another, be original for crying out loud, show some craft and talent. A game isn't endearing, charming or nostalgic just because it assaults your face with a bunch of oversized pixels that try to simulate the looks of a retro title - a game is either aesthetically-pleasing or a pile of visual buttsauce. This is the reason why I've personally had enough of "retro-stylized" games - I just don't want them anymore. Their time has come to an end in my book. It was a brief fad that we've entertained, but as with all fads, it should go away before it gets out of control.

Reactions: Gahars

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Anything with graphics from SNES/Genesis is good enough to me. Some games need 2D or they look creepy. An example?
You're saying that because you know those games as 2D retro games. I'm not saying that retro games are bad, I love retro games. What I'm saying is that emulating the retro style in contemporary games has gotten old and has to go.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Worse for me is several of those throwback/emulation of the classics games use all the nice 3d and accelerated hardware to recreate the effects of those older games. Now I am certainly not about to say people should go back and write things down to levels where you have to hand optimise the assembly to get it to work, let alone look good, but I would be happier if I saw nice 2d artwork with all the effects that modern hardware can pull off.

Mind you I see this all the time in things old enough to have proper nostalgia -- woodworking and metalworking seem to be rife with this. Your venerated ancestors would probably have happily ended their genetic line there and then if you could give them a modest machine shop/power tool setup from today (and a means to power it). Now the old stuff should be recorded and learned from but damned if I am going to do it that way as my shiny powered toys look on.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

There is actually a reason they got called different things though. It was a of their time thing, where japanese animation had a higher frame count than western, chinese, or korean animated things. Back then it made things easier to study. Now though I have no idea xD computers have slapped frame counts from 12 to 24 to 60, all depending on just how a studio wants a thing to look. So now it is very much a style thing, which we've gotten some cool stuff out of like wakfu and avatar the last air bender :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There is actually a reason they got called different things though. It was a of their time thing, where japanese animation had a higher frame count than western, chinese, or korean animated things. Back then it made things easier to study. Now though I have no idea xD computers have slapped frame counts from 12 to 24 to 60, all depending on just how a studio wants a thing to look. So now it is very much a style thing, which we've gotten some cool stuff out of like wakfu and avatar the last air bender :)
At its core an Anime is a cartoon and a Manga is a comic book, they're just particular types of those things. Similarly scrambled eggs and hardboiled eggs are both in the broad category of "eggs". My complaint has nothing to do with framerate, art style or country of origin and everything to do with people who like to smell their own farts and say "I don't like cartoons, I'm not 10, I only watch anime" or "I don't read comic books, comic books are for kids, I read mangas". ;)

Reactions: VinsCool

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
At its core an Anime is a cartoon and a Manga is a comic book, they're just particular types of those things. Similarly scrambled eggs and hardboiled eggs are both in the broad category of "eggs". My complaint has nothing to do with framerate, art style or country of origin and everything to do with people who like to smell their own farts and say "I don't like cartoons, I'm not 10, I only watch anime" or "I don't read comic books, comic books are for kids, I read mangas". ;)
Not saying your complaint has to do with framerate and the such. Just pointing out the why the two types came to be, they are all cartoons/comics at their cores. An I kinda just jumped on it when I saw it, I love talking about animation in general and forgot this was the edge of the forum xD

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not saying your complaint has to do with framerate and the such. Just pointing out the why the two types came to be, they are all cartoons/comics at their cores. An I kinda just jumped on it when I saw it, I love talking about animation in general and forgot this was the edge of the forum xD
Of course they're distinct styles, just like comedy and drama is, nobody should ever argue that they're not. :P I only have a bone to pick with people who say that they're different things from their western counterparts just because they're Japanese, which they're most definitely not. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh