Gaming The Nintendo Wii

Grizzly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
apparently Wii = 5 in numerology - someone on gamefaqs reported that. dunno if it's true or not as couldn't find a google source suppoorting it but seem to explain a bit cos the console will be the 5th one.
Some people whoses first language isn't English pronounce Wii like the letter V which is the Roman numeral for 5. That's what that someone on gamefaqs must have meant.

muess

Trophies
XP
Country
The fact that they need to post a full explaination of what the name means should be an indication to them of what a rediculous name it is.

It's a marketer's nightmare.

Xboxed

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif

Tdon

Trophies
Website
hencegames.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Look, there are still some things Wii don't know about the Wii ( gotten so used to saying rev
frown.gif
).
Maybe they will revel the second part at E3: the Cked! And the console will be named the Nintendo Wiicked!
That would be pretty damn.... wiicked!
biggrin.gif

Homer000

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
In all the time they had to think about this, that's all they've come up with? The least i can say is "underwhelming". This is obviously an over thought, over simplified marketing creature. And I think it will be a deterrent to their projected sales.
For all the ideas they tried to convey, i think the Nintendo Unity would have been a better choice...

Of course what would I know, i'm just an average joe and not a marketting "genius"
wacko.gif

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thought at first it was pronounced "why". Which is kind of philisophical. Then I read off the bbc website it was pronounced wee. What stupidity.

Why would you ever talk about games again if you had this console?

You cant say it in the same way as, "Im gonna play with my revolution or PS2".
Its "Im going to play with my wee.
dry.gif

No business has ever made such a dumb move.

In response to what somebody said about nintendo having to explain the name?
I think somebody high up in marketing did indeed lose a bet, and had to make the name actually sound viable.

Akotan

Mathematical!
Trophies
Website
www.viciocriativo.com
XP
Country
Brazil
It's a marketer's nightmare.

Er... it's the marketer's dream. It already creates a challenge: how they put it on magazines and stores? How will they work this presentation Wii all have seen on ads, store communication? Will it hit non-gamers? It will be very interesting to see the Wii release campaign.
happy.gif

deduce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, if the name is suppose to convey the idea of "w-e" with the two i's representing people playing with the revmote, then that pretty much confirms the idea that the Rev . . . Wii will ship with two sets of controllers.

Weeeeeeeeee!

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
A marketer's nightmare is when nobody cares about your product. I think the opposite happened...
You're absolutely right. A lot of people are talking about it; from hardcore gamers to general public media. You can't buy publicity like this. Who needs marketing strategies when 3 letters manage to catch the attention of so many people in 24 hours flat?

[Edit] Aaannnndd Taka.M said exactly the same thing 3 hours ago in the other thread. That'll teach me not to read the whole thing before replying
smile.gif

Astral_

GBAtemp elder
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I like the new name. Sure, I liked Revolution too ^^
Being French, no piss jokes here
tongue.gif
Still, the puns are flying... But Wii'll all get over it
smile.gif

EDIT : lol@the script changing W.e to Wii

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm done worrying about it. I hate it, but its not my company so they can piss it away if they like (no pun intended that time). I'm sure the faithful will all be Wii-ing by years end. But I think they blew their best chance in 15 years to get back a real chuck of market share.

lhnguyen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if the name is suppose to convey the idea of "w-e" with the two i's representing people playing with the revmote, then that pretty much confirms the idea that the Rev . . . Wii will ship with two sets of controllers.

Weeeeeeeeee!

Ummm.... bad logic. Don't count on it. In no way does the name confirm shipment with two controllers.

But yeah. The name isn't all bad... I've coped.

doxology83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you know i think that name is pretty pathetic. it sounds like it is either made for french people, homosexuals, asian people, or children. nintendo has stated they want to change there image, but people won't take them literally. be honest is a regular person going to buy a sony console if it wasn't a playstation, or buy a microsoft system not called the xbox? maybe put both companies did research and found that they do better if they keep there name, what's with nintendo and changing the name everytime? they get no benefits from the regular joe that knew what an nes, or snes was, but whats a wii. they should go with something like a previous poster stated and call it the nes5. i'm sorry, but i think word of mouth is going to die, because no one is going to brag to friends or buddies that they got a wii. and i feel sorry for the little video game nerds when it comes out, the kids in grade school, because they are going to get beat up so many times when they ask other kids if they want to play there wii. schools will ban the word being said for the sake of getting sued buy parents that think they kids at there local gradeschool are a bunch of perverts. yeah this is going to work real well, i wonder if nintendo will get sued, like mcdonalds did for supposedly making people fat. they are going to have alot of angry parents. there went all of the previous gamers for nintendo. i really wanted to support nintendo after non supporting them since snes, but if they are going to give names like this they are going to be the next sega anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't...