The Nintendo Switch sold over 900k units in March (North America)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Less* powerful than PS4 and PC, with only third-party support propping it up. It'd be like if Switch only got graphically inferior third-party ports, and no first-party Nintendo games. There wouldn't be half as much demand.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    There's plenty of great XBO games, I bought mine precisely to play exclusives. Not that I'm too fussed over exclusive content - I don't support the practice of barring large swathes of gamers based on their platform of choice.

3. flame1234

flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 17, 2009
    United States
    Attach rate of 102% (over 100%!), FTW.

If the Guinness Book of World Records had one for video game launch window attach rate...

4. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    You're probably sending the opposite message by buying every single console that releases lol.

5. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Doesn't matter too much as it's still in the same league as PS4, while the Switch isn't. The devs can make their games work on Xbox One without butchering too much which they would have if they ported a too demanding game to the Switch.

6. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    also interesting to take note that pokemon stars is just a codename, not a confirmed name...
    still hope for pokemon eclipse :)

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I collect gaming-specific hardware because I find it interesting, playing the exclusives is just a cherry on the top. If I'm sending the wrong message then I most certainly don't mean to. ;)

8. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    The gap in hardware is no where near as significant as it was between wiiu and the other two.

For switch, i feel its still too early to tell, once E3 comes around, we'll get a better picture of where Switch is headed in terms of 3rd party support.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also, to add the Maxwell GPU isnt too bad, although I still stand by the fact a pascal GPU wouldve been far better for battery life, but performance gains? They'd be on the minimal side of things.

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The gap is massive and should not be underestimated. The song and dance about "1 TFLOP" of compute power is deceptive and fraudulent, the Tegra X1 is nowhere near the level of the PS4 or the XBO and will cripple development in the long run. This horse has been beaten to death though, so there's no point in revisiting it - long story short, the Switch's actual compute performance is closer to half a teraflop, which isn't even half of XBO's capabilities and it's less than 1/3rd of the PS4's.

As for performance gains on Pascal, they'd be significant - the new architecture scores about 50% higher at lower overall TDP, if I recall correctly, and uses less power. It'd certainly help.

DrkBeam likes this.
  10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    It may not be as bad as the Wii U, but the gap is still very significant, the stock Xbone hardware is still 3x as powerful as a docked Switch, the PS4 is something like 4-5x as powerful. For game consoles, that is a massive gap.

11. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    It doesn't change the fact that I think of it as a silly rumor started as some launch day killing hype for S/M by Eurogamer since that first got revealed the day of S/M's release. There hasn't been substantial news at all, or even from the start that such a Switch title is coming. Whether it be my burning desire for Sinnoh remakes or just being overly skeptical of this so called "Stars," I don't see that crap as becoming a reality.

12. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Meh, you've got the high-end, which is 1440p60 or better, and then you've got the low-end, 1080p30/900p30, which covers all three: Switch, XB1, PS4. Other settings might have to be tweaked some, but it really doesn't matter when you're down at 2003's resolutions anyway. Pro and Scorpio are still significantly behind PC hardware, and those will cost you twice as much as the other consoles.

Perhaps more important is that Nintendo gets the portable market all to themselves now, and they don't even need a dedicated portable to hang on to it.

Last edited by Xzi, Apr 14, 2017
  13. John256145

John256145 "Why does your name have so many numbers?"

Jun 26, 2014
    United States
    /storage/emulated/0
    Those numbers make me happy.

14. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I want one and it's sold out everywhere.

15. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Thats 1Tflop at FP16, still not as bad when you consider the architectural differences and the fact the processor was the latest revision of maxwell which had some of the features of a pascal chip.

So its'd be around 700GFLOPS fp32 or something like that (I did the maths in my head.)
    The processor speed isnt really an issue.
    We still dont know enough about the retail version, though. The last thing i heard was the GPU clocks were increased as part of an update.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Erm, no, its more like 2.3x as powerful and PS4 is more like 3x more powerful. This is without considering architectural differences.

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    1 TFLOP FP12 = 512 GFLOP FP32, I don't know what math you're doing but each 32-bit precision op translates to two 16-bit precision ops. Moreover, the Switch doesn't actually reach those values as its clock speed is tuned down from the nominal 1GHz of the X1 down to 768MHz on the Switch. Again, all this has been explored elsewhere, there's no point in repeating it here.

DrkBeam and Tom Bombadildo like this.
  17. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Except it isn't, it's not even 1tflop FP16. The X1 chip being used is underclocked from stock, it's something like 700 GFLOPS FP16, and only ~400GLOPS FP32 when docked.

EDIT: :ph34r:'d

Foxi4 likes this.
  18. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    It was based on a relative calculation on maxwell vs gcn.

19. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
  20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You're making your own life difficult, the shader formula exists for a reason. ;)

256 shaders * 2 Ops (Multiply + Accumulate) * 1GHz = 512 GFLOPS FP32 on stock X1

The Switch peaks at 768MHz and compute power drops linearly.

DrkBeam likes this.