The Nintendo Switch sold over 900k units in March (North America)

switchy.jpg

Despite the hype leading to a frequent lack of stock online, Nintendo's newest home console ended up selling 906,000 units in the month of its launch. This makes the Switch one of the fastest selling Nintendo consoles in the company's history. Console sales weren't the only thing reported, either, as sales figures for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild were revealed as well. The Switch version of the game moved 925,000 copies, oddly outselling the target console itself. In the case of the Wii U version, there were 460,000 games sold.

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Press Inbox

Gourmet

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thread is still imprecise. This sales data is based on NPD only, 906k sold in USA. We don't have numbers for North America, though it's still over 900k obviously.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not at all, you ween just enough to each store causing artifical demand. It's human instinct to want to have what others don't. That and it makes it seem like a sellout product to the general public, making them seek it out more. Hence why a Zelda box pushed so many units
Stores only had a limited supply because of the number of units that were made being spread all over the world to all the different stores. It would have been quite foolish to make 10 million units only to sell 1 million. So they make 1 or 2 million at a time, see that they are selling great, make 1 or 2 million more, rinse and repeat. Nobody could have foreseen the popularity of the switch.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The Switch situation is very peculiar. The console has literally one noteworthy game, that's no exaggeration, and yet it's selling like hotcakes. People are putting a lot of faith in the system despite a complete lack of a launch library, here's for hoping Nintendo can deliver. There's a lot of factors contributing to the eagerness of customers, one of the major ones is scarcity of supply ("get it now while it's in stock, we only have two units!" - oldest scam in the book), but I can't help but wonder if sales will drop off a cliff once the diehard fans procure a system or if the Switch will carry its momentum next year. I'm cautiously optimistic because I see a lot of soccer moms getting it for their kids as it was the case with the Wii, but to really succeed as a platform Nintendo needs to convince the 3DS crowd that the Switch is the next big thing. A Pokemon game would buy Nintendo a lot of favour, so I'm interested in their E3 showcase this year.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The Switch situation is very peculiar. The console has literally one noteworthy game, that's no exaggeration, and yet it's selling like hotcakes. People are putting a lot of faith in the system despite a complete lack of a launch library, here's for hoping Nintendo can deliver. There's a lot of factors contributing to the eagerness of customers, one of the major ones is scarcity of supply ("get it now while it's in stock, we only have two units!" - oldest scam in the book), but I can't help but wonder if sales will drop off a cliff once the diehard fans procure a system or if the Switch will carry its momentum next year. I'm cautiously optimistic because I see a lot of soccer moms getting it for their kids as it was the case with the Wii, but to really succeed as a platform Nintendo needs to convince the 3DS crowd that the Switch is the next big thing. A Pokemon game would buy Nintendo a lot of favour, so I'm interested in their E3 showcase this year.

It must hurt.
You made so many posts in anticipation on how it would fail miserably.
Here, let me give you a shoulder my friend. :(

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It must hurt.
You made so many posts in anticipation on how it would fail miserably.
Here, let me give you a shoulder my friend. :(
Oh, I still maintain that it's a poorly designed system and it still has potential to fail miserably. The Wii U's launch was all roses too, but it didn't last. The Switch can only survive if it gets software support, and that can be spotty considering the poor specs. Only time will tell if the system works out, however launch numbers, as optimistic as they are, mean nothing in the long run.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

It'll be interesting to see if during the launch of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or in the coming months due to this title, will the Switch become high in demand again. The Switch is in stock at various European retailers now so anyone can purchase one (though if I had paid £279.99 I'd probably just avoided it for the time being :P).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yet it's selling like hotcakes.
one of the major ones is scarcity of supply ("get it now while it's in stock, we only have two units!" - oldest scam in the book),
Ditto!

I only got it because it was a fantastic deal and the rest too.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
So after reading this thread I went to the mall by my house and talked to EBgames there. I have a friend who works there so I chat with him whenever I need to go to the mall. He said launch day sales were great because a lot of people pre-ordered the console. After that the sales didn't stay steady. Everyone who wanted one pre ordered and game sales were basically just Breath of the Wild. Who know maybe another good game will come out and sales will jump start again. I was also surprised he said that the WiiU Breath of the Wild sales weren't that good at the store at all. Well m glad BotW sold well on the Switch. He wanted to sell me a switch btw, I said when SMT 5 comes out I'll buy one.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Switch would kill it with pokemon.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I still have PTSD from the last E3....
it was just way too disappointing
e3 2016 was awesome imo, then again, im a huge zelda fanboy.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If pokemon Stars does come out this year Switch will dominate the holiday season.

NO! Sinnoh confirmed. Now I can say that and be more solid in defending it since Ash in the new movie has two new buddies whose main pokemon are Sinnoh ones, Lucario and Piplup. They 3DSed up Cynthia in S/M, I'm sticking by this. Also sticking to it because it's more financially possible for me to just get new games rather than new games plus a whole new console.

Reactions: DrkBeam

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
NO! Sinnoh confirmed. Now I can say that and be more solid in defending it since Ash in the new movie has two new buddies whose main pokemon are Sinnoh ones, Lucario and Piplup. They 3DSed up Cynthia in S/M, I'm sticking by this. Also sticking to it because it's more financially possible for me to just get new games rather than new games plus a whole new console.
Sinnoh would be even better imo :P.

Reactions: RustInPeace

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only when it comes to the switch can people be so optimistic about it's future despite it's sole noteworthy title being a WiiU port (I'm one of them too).

You stirred up the crowds, nintendo, so maintain this momentum by rocking it at E3.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The Switch situation is very peculiar. The console has literally one noteworthy game, that's no exaggeration, and yet it's selling like hotcakes.
Not that peculiar, considering XB1 has no noteworthy games that can't also be played elsewhere. It's partly brand loyalty, and for Switch, partly a unique design in the console space. Also helps that plenty of people think this is Nintendo's first new console since Wii.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Not that peculiar, considering XB1 has no noteworthy games that can't also be played elsewhere. It's partly brand loyalty, and for Switch, partly a unique design in the console space. Also helps that plenty of people think this is Nintendo's first new console since Wii.
Xbox One has the advantage of the hardware being more powerful and it's supported by basically every third party publisher, the Switch on the other hand... erm.

Reactions: DrkBeam

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hey qwerty look at that you ain't the youngest here anymore