The Nintendo Switch SDK has been leaked

in-switch-un-sdk-de-la-nintendo-switch-leake-1.jpg

Someone posted on /hbg/ a link to the Switch SDK. I don't know if it's the actual SDK or not because I have no use for it but I thought people would like to know or some shit.

EDIT: For the uninitiated, the leak has been confirmed real by SciresM and others. Go nuts.
EDIT 2: The SDK has appeared on many different warez sites.
EDIT 3: Stop asking me for links. I'm not gonna go dig out the link for you. Besides, someone on /hbg/ said the original link is down.

Last edited by Silent Hell,

Pomegrenade

photon readings negative
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thought so. Always a bit confusing when people say things like "this will be good for homebrew development" when SDKs leak.
Unless they mean reverse engineering parts of the SDK or something.
Yeah your right, just getting hold of the SDK doesn't mean unlimited homebrew development power, and you never know whether the SDK may be all that usefull, with no prior knowledge of how to use it, so homebrew will have to wait unfortunately...

Paiuand

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Should we be hyped about all this? :D
I am also sorry if i sound like a retard because i am very inexperienced....

Last edited by Paiuand,

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't any homebrew written using an illegally obtained SDK be, well, illegal and therefore frowned upon?
>system config tool for the wii u

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I downloaded it. It's nothing great. Don't bother PM'ing me for links.
^ what he said. Your better off visiting http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
Should we be hyped about all this? :D
I am also sorry if i sound like a retard because i am very inexperienced....
Cemu is only possible from the Wii Us SDK. Some tools included from the SDK do really help out with systems. Such as System Config Tool on the Wii U being a good example.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
The SDK wouldn't help you find an exploit, it would only help make homebrew. Which is useless without an exploit. That should be a PSA on the main thread @Silent Hell

Well, i am not expecting to find an exploit in the next day, but knowledge of how the inputs work or the saving system works can lead to buffer overflows and other things that lead to code execution via saves.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cemu is only possible from the Wii Us SDK. Some tools included from the SDK do really help out with systems. Such as System Config Tool on the Wii U being a good example.
Not sure how this is relevant to my comment. It's still nothing great and most people don't need to download it.

in the sdk it says that you can read and write on retail NX Cartridges
You need a developer unit. If you had access to one, you wouldn't need this old SDK anyway.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for my stupidity but what's a SDK?
As was mentioned it stands for software development/developer kit. What it means varies

Back in the 8-16 bit era they tended to include full hardware listings, some example pieces of code and more besides. This made them great sources of information. I quite like the sega one for the megadrive/genesis if you want a really nice example of the concept.
The PS1 hit and people mostly started to compile their code (as opposed to writing in assembly code which is basically the human readable version of the simple instructions the processor uses to do all it does), the information they contained became less and the actual usefulness of them vs what those made by the homebrew community did became less.
On the original xbox I reckon a good 90% of the code ever written for homebrew purposes, certainly almost all that the average person around here would want (XBMC+emulators, not sure about the versions of Linux) was written to be compiled by the various leaked SDKs from Microsoft. They were more useful than the PS1 era stuff at the start and it never quite shook it as time went on. With that said the original xbox enjoyed one of the best homebrew scenes of any console, possibly even the best and only the Wii really stands any chance of beating it on the TV console front. If we are including handhelds then add in the GBA, DS and PSP. Nothing else even comes close to the volumes, quality and general good times enjoyed, and now android and raspberry pi type devices have hit I have my doubts as to it happening in the same way ever again.
The GBA had its one leaked prior to release and between the info it contained and some of the other things within it we had emulation from day 0. As time went on there were new compilers and toolchains made (today it is devkitarm/devkitpro but there was the HAM one and the AGB toolchains prior to that). Nintendo's offerings were still useful to some people as it could handle various formats that were common (16 bit era and older everybody did whatever they liked and there were no real common formats, by the GBA the desire to reinvent the wheel for every game became less so Nintendo provided some formats for devs to use for things like audio, in the GBA's case it became known as sappy after one of the main tools.
The DS did have an early SDK leak which yielded not a lot (it is really quite useless and somewhat restrictive compared to the homebrew stuff), parts of the later one leaked and helped some people out with the 3d formats, and to this day some ROM hackers use the SDK setup to make 3d models for DS games which use the NSBMD format. One of the DSi ones also got shared behind closed doors and may have helped some flash cart firmwares do some stuff. Technically the sound hacking of the DS owes a bit -- I think it was a Zoids game included a log file of sorts (called smap) that is normally deleted, the information it contained allowed hackers to match up the aspects of the header far more quickly than looking and fiddling ever might. It was however around this point that the systems were getting hard to emulate so there was a leaked version of the emulator that the SDK had called ensata ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-nitro-software-emulator-ensata-1-4d.35047/ ). It barely ran anything but it did manage some things before desmume and no$gba got going.
The system config tool for the wii u was mentioned, I am however less familiar with the goings on with the Wii U than I might have been. Nintendo did sort of open up things after the wii u had failed, Sony also did something with the vita.

Other things have happened over the years when repair tools and SDKs have been leaked. For the Wii the repair disk got leaked. Around the same time Nintendo blocked a bug which was exploited known as the trucha bug, however the IOS from the repair disk was not fixed and it allowed people back in.

So yeah with the modern stuff you tend not to get any great hardware information, the compilers they include are usually locked down for no great gain, most of the ones we see are for game developers rather than the system developers so their use for hacking is limited when going up against modern type security design. They can however be of some use to ROM hackers and while they might be clunky and locked down if what you care about is end results you can occasionally compile some code which will run.

dj505

Inexperienced Romhacker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, there's really not a lot you can do with the SDK without a dev unit. You can look at some doumentation and mess with a thing or two, but without a console to run stuff on it's practically useless. Still a neat thing to have, though.

Last edited by dj505,

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how this is relevant to my comment. It's still nothing great and most people don't need to download it.

You need a developer unit. If you had access to one, you wouldn't need this old SDK anyway.
Cemu is the Wii U's emulator. I'd fucking love having a emulator for the Switch to run and test homebrew on, wouldn't you? System Config Tool is also a tool that's needed for things that can't be done any way else (that's public in a homebrew app) such as deleting users on the fly, installing apps with a nice GUI, and a lot of other nice settings to have. Having a SDK is a good tool to have to understand a console more in depth. The SDK docs provide a LOT of information on how various things work on the console. Also, you don't need a devkit to use it. Explain how I've used the Wii Us SDK to pack and repack a shit ton of apps while keeping it in a format that's fine for upload on GBATemp and calling mine? The SDK might (I haven't looked) contain the Dev Common Key which can allow us to decrypt a bunch of shit we can download from CDN to look into the system more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My PS3 lives inside my PC via emulation +1