The Nintendo PlayStation's CD drive is now functional

It's been while since the Nintendo PlayStation was discovered, and while it could boot Super Nintendo cartridges perfectly fine, no one was able to get the system's CD drive to work. After messing with the console for months, the man in charge of trying to get the CD drive to function, Ben Heck, said that after simply moving some cables around, he was able to get the Nintendo PlayStation to read discs. Of course, there's no known software for the prototype console, but audio CDs loaded up. Ben Heck then attempted to burn discs of two homebrew games, which were created after a BIOS for the system was leaked online, about a year ago. Super Boss Gaiden, and Magic Floor were tested, with the former resulting in an error, and the latter astonishingly working on the console, with only minor graphical errors. At the end of the video, Heck muses that he should lend the Nintendo PlayStation to an emulator developer, so that programmers can learn more about how the system works. However, he will soon be displaying the console at the Midwest Gaming Expo, where it will be returned to its initial owner, Terry Diebold.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a shame that Nintendo & Sony split because now we're looking at what could've been.

If Nintendo and Sony hadn't split then:

1. N64 would have been delayed or maybe wouldn't have existed.
2. The Sony PlayStation wouldn't have existed.
3. The Saturn would have been delayed, allowing the 32X to get more games.

Without the PlayStation the Saturn and N64 would probably not have had the same amount of effort put into it. The Saturn had a redesign half way through when the PlayStation specs appeared. It would also have been much more expensive.

I don't see much good coming out of Nintendo & Sony sticking together.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Name alone sounds strange "Nintendo PlayStation"
Sounds like one of those really lame knockoff consoles from china. Makes me think of the one that looks like a slim PSone, but when you open the "disc cover" theres a cartridge slot for famicom games. Its just a famiclone in a PSone case lol.

In all seriousness tho, its really cool to see one of these in action (via the internet but still). A very interesting piece of gaming history. I would kill to have one lol

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Nintendo and Sony hadn't split then:

1. N64 would have been delayed or maybe wouldn't have existed.
2. The Sony PlayStation wouldn't have existed.
3. The Saturn would have been delayed, allowing the 32X to get more games.

Without the PlayStation the Saturn and N64 would probably not have had the same amount of effort put into it. The Saturn had a redesign half way through when the PlayStation specs appeared. It would also have been much more expensive.

I don't see much good coming out of Nintendo & Sony sticking together.

the n64 would have been cds or maybe both cart and cd. nintendo would not have been knocked of their high horse. the 3rd parties would not have left. Id like to slide to that reality and grab a nintendo playstation. and see different gaming environment

Last edited by Captain_N,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the n64 would have been cds or maybe both cart and cd.

Saturn was going to be a 2D console before the PS1 specs became available.
Nintendo had a 2nd generation of the SNES CD that included something equivalent to a SuperFX built in, which they pulled when the PS1 specs became available.

Sega panicked, looked at the N64 and rejected it & cobbled together an expensive product that never really performed.

Nintendo panicked and bought the N64 from SGI.

Without that panic it was looking like nobody would have brought the N64 to market.

and see different gaming environment

It's the same as a SNES but with longer load times. The Mega-CD is a good indication of the types of games you'd have ended up with.

If Sega and Nintendo had kept their Monopoly then I'm not sure if gaming would have survived. Sony were responsible for revitalising the gaming market, making it attractive to adults. The amount of money required to develop modern games is only sustainable because of the huge market.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sounds like one of those really lame knockoff consoles from china. Makes me think of the one that looks like a slim PSone, but when you open the "disc cover" theres a cartridge slot for famicom games. Its just a famiclone in a PSone case lol.
parece-mas-nao-e-clones-de-consoles_f_037.png
68422.jpg
:)

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The worst one I saw was a NES clone that took discs. Which sounds great as you could hack it for homebrew etc. Except the discs were just plastic and contained bumps that activated different switches to select games.

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.