Hardware The name "Switch" sounds a bit ghetto

romanaOne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...or like a shortened form of the Nintendo Bait-and-Switch. It's just a tablet with some doodads that stick on the sides. I mean there is nothing REALLY new, not even a gimmick like a headache-inducing autostereoscopic 3D display. Or shitty stylus-centric gameplay. Maybe they'll have voice control: "Siri, move Link 3 paces to the left."

Let's see how many times they can rebadge and repackage the same dumb games from the late 90s over and over on this console.

Last edited by romanaOne,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It would have sounded cooler if they named it after the Nvidia Shield, the Nintendo Shield.
Or how about Nintendo Shield Switch(Sword Switch). Switch between Sword (Nintendo Sword, console mode) and Shield (Nintendo Shield, portable mode).
If it makes any sense :D

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's descriptive and it's accurate. It's not just a bunch of numbers.

They focused on delivering fun in whatever neat way they can come up with. What could they have done that would have been mind-blowing different? Bring back the power glove? VR+power gloves+neural feedback? While that'd be amazing, you can't get so far ahead of the market that you lose everyone. You want to put your device in that sweet spot between where we are and where we are going to be, where everyone wants in to a degree.

I can't help but think "Switch-kick", but that'll pass as we get used to it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I mean there is nothing REALLY new, not even a gimmick like a headache-inducing autostereoscopic 3D display. Or shitty stylus-centric gameplay.
So you're complaining about a lack of gimmicks, while complaining about gimmicks at the same time?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
It's just a tablet
it's not even a tablet lelelele
so that's right
bait: "yey its nintendo tablet, you can use it to watch movies on an airplane and do much better stuff than a tablet, like play nintendo newest games"
and switch: "the movies are limited to 10 minute videos, it's a proprietary OS, with a very limited and weak browser, you can't even facebook propertly, there is no touchscreen. console is designed to emulate all thoose vc titles not available on the wii\3ds VC store

romanaOne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're complaining about a lack of gimmicks, while complaining about gimmicks at the same time?

Something new is nice to look forward to even if it turns out disappointing. Gimmicks suck less than nothing new at all, which is the message I'm taking away from the short video. Maybe I missed something, but NX just seems soo routine...and overhyped. I also do not feel much gadget lust, finally having seen it; I don't gotta have it, even if it does suck--I feel like I already have it and do not need another tablet-like thing.

They're counting on a new generation of suckers who have not yet seen their crap, which is more reliable than taking a chance on new ideas.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, no matter what Nintendo would have done, at least someone would have complained.

Nintendo can't please everyone, and they sure won't bend backwards for everyone either.

What the deuce do people want?

What about the PS Vita? What a good name for a console that died soon after release lol.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Gimmicks suck less than nothing new at all, which is the message I'm taking away from the short video. Maybe I missed something, but NX just seems soo routine...
A very large amount of people are whining about how all gimmicks are bad, any kind of innovation detracts from "pure" gameplay, and that what everyone wants from a handheld console is a PlayStation controller with a screen and nothing more. Switch looks like their dream come true.

(Although there are rumors that the JoyCons can operate like Wiimotes so there's that.)

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Duh it's ghetto, it's the name of a Will Smith song.

It matches up too since Smith doesn't really curse and has such streamlined rap songs, Nintendo is basically like that too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol