Gaming The lack of 3D in Pokemon Sun and Moon

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the 7th gen of Pokemon, I really do, its a fantastic game. But I find the extreme lack of 3D in the titles to be incredibly disappointing.As far as I can tell the only real 3D exists when you use the camera Pokefinder thing. This means that even the battles that were in full 3D in X/Y/OR/AS (aside from battles with more than two pokemon on the screen) are now all in 2D no matter how few pokemon are battling. Now I know the claim would be, "The game now renders your trainer in every battle, so at the very least there will always be at least 3 characters rendered in any given battle, one more than the minimum we'd have seen in generation 6." And yes that is true, and I can even see how that probably does become more taxing on the 3DS. But if an O3DS could handle 3D with 2 pokemon on the screen at a time (albeit at a reduced framerate), surely a N3DS could at least handle 3D with 3 or 4 characters on the screen at a time. Its not an unheard of idea either, Hyrule Warriors Legends can be played in 3D on a N3DS while when played on an O3DS it can only be played in 2D, so such an exclusive feature should have been possible one would think. Beyond that I believe a N3DS could probably handle 3D just about everywhere outside of battles in Pokemon Sun and Moon.

I find the lack of this defining feature of the 3DS in such a high profile game to be a big bummer. I know there are plenty of people that would say, "well 3D is a gimmick, no one should care." Well great, then you don't care about this feature in this game, this thread doesn't pertain to you, so don't bother with that statement, because people like me do care, its a neat feature that adds a layer of immersion. Will the lack of this feature stop me from playing more of the game? Of course not, I just wanted to say how disappointed I am with this specific feature, and its hard not to feel like the game is slightly lacking in that regard.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The framerate is complete garbage on an old 3DS. If you enabled 3D, it would be complete garbage on a new 3DS too.

Garbage on an O3DS, but still playable. That is essentially what the 3D areas of gen 6 was like on an 03DS anyway, and I still played with 3D on all the time, my enjoyment of that feature superseded the drop in framerate. As such, if the N3DS had 3D as an optional exclusive feature that would cause the framerate to drop, I don't see what the harm would be, let the player decide which feature is more important to them, 3D or the framerate, and obviously if it couldn't be done on an O3DS, then don't make it an option for those models of the 3DS.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Considering how heavy the game is on the resources (even on the New3DS,) it seems like the best call was not make things worse. The game would have seriously suffered even on the New3DS and would have been unplayable on an old3DS.

ispano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it would of been pretty much a slideshow on N3DS too. The N3DS only has more CPU, the GPU is exactly the same.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it would of been pretty much a slideshow on N3DS too. The N3DS only has more CPU, the GPU is exactly the same.

Just give us the option like I was saying. If we value 3D over the framerate, allow the N3DS to have it for users like me, after all it is completely optional at all times to have 3D on or off. Gen 6's framerate went to crap with 3D on, yet I always had it on anyway, as I value that effect more than i care about the frame rate being fluid on the 3DS.

ispano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you quite understand what would happen. It would be nothing like what happened in Gen VI. It wouldn't be something like 30 fps to 15 fps, which is already annoying.

ispano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, They just used very high poly models. Same as they did in Gen VI, but they added even more on top of it this time around. The models in any other game don't even come close to the poly count.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you quite understand what would happen. It would be nothing like what happened in Gen VI. It wouldn't be something like 30 fps to 15 fps, which is already annoying.

Again, give us the option. If it truly does suck, then I wouldn't use it. I think they were just lazy, no reason we couldn't have the option like in gen 6. And I'm certain that the N3DS could handle 3D in the overworld, its far less complex whats happening out there than in the current battles. Again, I just think they were lazy, but hey I get it, they were focusing on a ton of other new features and things, working in 3D was probably on the last of their To-Do list.

Deleted member 408979

Gbatemp amphibian
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i thought i was the only one who noticed that.

The worst part are definitely the totem pokemon.

The aura texture just makes everything lag out.

And it gets even worse when the totem calls an ally.

Other than that,im pretty content with the game.

Great music,got some new mechanics,got a way better storyline than XY...

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, I just think they were lazy, but hey I get it, they were focusing on a ton of other new features and things, working in 3D was probably on the last of their To-Do list.
100. Getting Nebby in the bag.
101. Making the first-slot Pokémon walk behind you.
102. Having 3-D beyond poké-finder.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
100. Getting Nebby in the bag.
101. Making the first-slot Pokémon walk behind you.
102. Having 3-D beyond poké-finder.

I have high hopes that the Pokemon walking behind you will appear in the Switch version. I mean the pokemon walking behind you has already been found in the code, the bulk of the work has clearly been done. Also, I hope the Switch version isn't called Stars as the final name, mostly because the Sun is a Star, so why would one game encompass all stars while one just focuses on one star in particular. I think the best name (one I've seen pop up from a few fan mockups) would be Pokemon Eclipse.

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the best name (one I've seen pop up from a few fan mockups) would be Pokemon Eclipse.

I tend to believe that. About two years ago I read something about 'Dawn & Eclipse', which turned out to be, 'Sun & Moon.' Plus, 'Eclipse' just makes sense.

I really wonder if Sun and Moon are the last RPG-pokémon games or would 'Eclipse' be available for N3ds/Switch?

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to believe that. About two years ago I read something about 'Dawn & Eclipse', which turned out to be, 'Sun & Moon.' Plus, 'Eclipse' just makes sense.

I really wonder if Sun and Moon are the last RPG-pokémon games or would 'Eclipse' be available for N3ds/Switch?

My money says that the third title will just be a Switch release. Nintendo is going to want to push the Switch hard, so they're going to want this third version to be exclusive to the system I'm thinking. (Plus, without a 3DS version, the only way to play the third title wold be to pay the higher price that console games cost (around $60) as opposed to what 3DS titles top out at (around $40), meaning more profit to be made on the third title (assuming the Switch sells well enough).

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would have been a lot more fun with 3D. It's not like it's too gamebreaking though. Sucks it took such a toll on you.

Like I said it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. I just find the 3D to add an extra layer of immersion that I personally love, its a shame we don't get it in such a big title(s) for the 3DS.

Reactions: Lightning_Kid_21

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My money says that the third title will just be a Switch release. Nintendo is going to want to push the Switch hard, so they're going to want this third version to be exclusive to the system I'm thinking. (Plus, without a 3DS version, the only way to play the third title wold be to pay the higher price that console games cost (around $60) as opposed to what 3DS titles top out at (around $40), meaning more profit to be made on the third title (assuming the Switch sells well enough).

Maybe Wii U taught them, 'We can release the same game, with less features and still make money....cough Mario.'
I just hope they buff a few things up and maybe not force joké-bank on us. All those locked out of e-shop might get salted wounds.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe Wii U taught them, 'We can release the same game, with less features and still make money....cough Mario.'
I just hope they buff a few things up and maybe not force joké-bank on us. All those locked out of e-shop might get salted wounds.

Which Mario game had less features than a handheld counter part? Both Mario 3D World and Super Mario Maker have more features than their handheld counter part. Not too sure about how NSMB2 compares to NSMBU though, I honestly didn't play much of either.

Having said that, the rumor is the third pokemon title will have ore features and not simply just be a Crystal or Emerald type release. Rumor is 20 brand new Pokemon and a bunch more alolan forms as well. Then I'm sure some more post-game content would be added as well, that seems to be the norm of any 3rd title (save Yellow).

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which Mario game had less features than a handheld counter part? Both Mario 3D World and Super Mario Maker have more features than their handheld counter part. Not too sure about how NSMB2 compares to NSMBU though, I honestly didn't play much of either.

Having said that, the rumor is the third pokemon title will have ore features and not simply just be a Crystal or Emerald type release. Rumor is 20 brand new Pokemon and a bunch more alolan forms as well. Then I'm sure some more post-game content would be added as well, that seems to be the norm of any 3rd title (save Yellow).

That's why I said the Wii U taught them. Wii U SMM should have more features than the 3ds, but if, 'Eclipse' doesn't have communication with 3ds and all your 'mon have to be joké-banked in, I consider that one less feature.
Since this is going from 3ds to Switch, I expect more; whereas SMM (Wii U to 3ds) lost the graphics, but 'online', as well. and the mystery mushroom...totally expected, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it