GBAtemp Exclusive The Hybrid Era

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, May 9, 2017.

?

Do you only own ONE platform for games this generation?

1. Yes - I only have either the Nintendo Wii U/Switch, only a PS4, only an Xbox One, or only a PC

28.6%
  2. No, I have some mix of the above.

71.4%
May 9, 2017
  1. DaniPoo

Member DaniPoo GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Nah what you are talking about is not exclusive for this generation, the PS1 was a music player, the next generation could play music and DVD's, the generation after that could do all the previous and also stream entertainment, and this generation does the same as last generation.

And backwards compatibilty has been a thing for ages as well.

What makes this generetion any different from the last?

I stand by the opinion that when (and if) Sony and Microsoft decides to adapt the "hybrid console" formfactor as Nintendo called it, with Nintendo's definition of the name, Then we'll have a "hybrid generation".

All console's are expected to do Backwards compatibility and have other entertainment than gaming since a while back, and those consoles that didn't have those features got a lot of critisism. Just look at how some people are bashing the switch for only playing games and nothing else (And that's this generation) And Nintendo call it a hybrid console..

Last edited by DaniPoo, May 11, 2017

2. netovsk

Member netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    @Foxi4 You're definitely wrong on this. ZombiU PS4/XB1 ports for instance don't have the local versus mode and other features the Wii U game has. Sames goes for other games. What you mean is that they can make a crappy port with dumbed down mechanics or absent mechanics at all and this works fine for a cash grab but not much else.

Now games like Uncharted 4 or Mario Kart 8 could be ported to every other platform just fine.

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I've been around for a long time, I've seen games ported across vastly different platforms and I was okay with that. Games on the SNES and the Mega Drive were often vastly different since the capabilities of the two platforms were, which gave each port specific flavour. Just because something is different doesn't mean it's bad - if a game uses the strong points of the systems to its advantage, great - it should be praised for that. No More Heroes was designed for the Wii from the ground up, and yet it transitioned to the PS3 with PS Move support *and* an HD graphics make-over - great, can't complain.

4. DarkWork0

Member DarkWork0 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm still playing games on all my stuff: NES, SNES, GB, GBASP, DSIXL, 3DS, 3DSXL, N3DSXL, WII, WIIU, SWITCH, GG, XBOX, PC, PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, PS4, MOBILE. Just depends on what kind of game I'm going to play.

5. netovsk

Brazil
    @Foxi4 You're trying to make a point comparing slightly different graphics and sound to ways of input and interaction like motion controls, dual screens and touch screen. Yeah Zelda Skyward Sword on anything other than Wiimote / PS Move / Joycon would be fail.

Whatever, nevermind.

6. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    There's a myriad of motion controllers out there besides the Wii remote and PS Move, almost every VR setup includes Hydras, Oculus controllers or some other flavour of a remote, and whatever couldn't be implemented could be very easily patched. For all intents and purposes the motion controls aspect of the game is universally reviled anyway, I distinctly remember people begging hackers to release some kind of a patch to enable GC controllers instead, but with Skyward that'd be a little more complicated than it was with TP. We've aimed with mice and analog sticks for decades, I don't see why the game couldn't be retouched to just feature a standard Zelda moveset without any loss of gameplay value. Emulators are a thing that exists, and even a gimmick feature like double screens can just be displayed on one screen, it's really not a big deal at all.

7. netovsk

Brazil
    @Foxi4 this is not how the market works, no wonder kinect, ps eye, ps move and almost every non standard peripheral flopped. Not to mention bad ports which would be Skyward Sword case for instance. But maybe this would work for you, who knows?

Cheers.

8. Logan97

Member Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

United States
    You honestly just need a Sony and Nintendo Console despite the history that has happened between these two companies.

Last edited by Logan97, May 15, 2017
  9. jt_1258

Member jt_1258 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    tbh the only reason I need a sony system is for a sao and miku, which the vita has so I may just go cheap with that

10. Lord M

Member Lord M GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    Never mind (at least for me)
    I'll still sticked to old games (ps2/ wii and below) because there are the meaning of true 'videogaming' essence.

11. HaloEffect17

Member HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Canada
    Let's be honest... If you have a Virtual Boy, you don't need to buy any other console or PC. :D

No, but seriously though, I've always subscribed to Nintendo systems in the past and only recently migrated to other companies' consoles about 5 or 6 years ago when I started picking up older generation consoles for cheap such as PS2 and Original Xbox. Since then, I've always found that the best experience at least for me was to have a hybrid of Nintendo and Xbox consoles, which I have for the current generation.

12. KlasseyKreations

Member KlasseyKreations photon readings negative

Portugal
    Yeeees, Nintendo fanboys unite! (wait why isn't the DS on the list @chavosaur )

Last edited by KlasseyKreations, May 16, 2017
    jaeman109 likes this.