The Human Brain is Absolutely Amazing.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It continuously occurs to me of how incredible the brain is.
The human brain is able to link different information together with each being a sort of trigger.
You may have noticed this whilst being at school and taking an exam.
When you study for an exam, you remember certain information in small amounts. When a word in a question relates to the information, you can remember the answer. However, that takes effort. Studying and revising.

The brain seems to also link other information like memories to pieces of information. Theses links seem to be completely effortless. I'll give you some examples of some links my brain has made:

1. One random day, several months ago, I was playing DayZ in a random server. My father just arrived home from work and came in and began telling me a few things. He mentioned his friend, Michael, and how his wife had cancer. At the time he was saying this, I was still playing DayZ (The conversation had been going on for about 30 minutes already) and I was (For anyone who has played it) in an area that headed into a warehouse which contained some empty tins. Now, back to the present, my father had finished work and was talking to me about the wife and that she had gone into remission. Randomly, once her name (Maria) and the word"cancer" was mentioned, I immediately remembered that game session of DayZ and it felt as if I was still playing it.

In the above example, DayZ had absolutely nothing to do with cancer yet the mention of the cancer triggered an insignificant memory to come forward in my brain.

So on to example number 2.

2. This was a good 6/7, if not more, years ago. I was with a friend in his mother's car. We were headed to the shopping centre (Knox shopping centre, if anyone was curious) and a random song had come on the radio. There was no conversation occuring at this point and the only sound, besides the song, was the mother singing along. So, back to the present again, and I had just downloaded a music album as I liked a few of the songs and decided to check out the rest as well. As I was listening to the music, the 7th track began to play. At this point, I was gaming and wasn't focused on the music. Boom, the above memory flings itself into my mind, and I feel as if I'm there, as if I'm there and not the younger version of me.

Wow. It's crazy how these memories are linked with random triggers.
Now, you know what the above 2 (And the upcoming) examples have in common? Each memory is insignificant. Memories that I never even gave a second thought.

The third and final example (A short one as well) that I'll be posting right now is this:

3. For this one, I don't have a date but it is possible (However, challenging) for me to obtain. Firstly, I must mention this: I tend to listen to music when gaming or reading. It relaxes me. Anyway, I had decided to begin reading 'The Walking Dead' comics and to start off, I put some music on. I settled on a song I'd like to listen to and began reading. Now, obviously the (roughly) 5 minute song didn't last the entire issue. But it's the song that linked. Every time I hear that song, it reminds me of 'The Walking Dead' comics. Not just the first issue, but it reminds me of all the issues I've read. Also, if I begin to read an issue, I remember the song.

In the above example, I don't believe that the song has linked every issue to it but instead that the song is linked to the first issue and the first issue is then linked to the other issues. It's quite amazing.
Also, I have a rough date of the when this occured, October 31, 2010. Now, I gathered that date because I had watched the newly released Walking Dead series that a friend had referred me to. It was a little after October 31 but that's as close as I can get. A little under 3 years ago and this link is still occuring. Amazing, isn't it?

Anyway, I hope I amused you and informed you of a function that the brain can perform, and without any required actions. Let me know of your thoughts below.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
It continuously occurs to me of how incredible the brain is.
The human brain is able to link different information together with each being a sort of trigger.
You may have noticed this whilst being at school and taking an exam.
When you study for an exam, you remember certain information in small amounts. When a word in a question relates to the information, you can remember the answer. However, that takes effort. Studying and revising.

The brain seems to also link other information like memories to pieces of information. Theses links seem to be completely effortless. I'll give you some examples of some links my brain has made:

1. One random day, several months ago, I was playing DayZ in a random server. My father just arrived home from work and came in and began telling me a few things. He mentioned his friend, Michael, and how his wife had cancer. At the time he was saying this, I was still playing DayZ (The conversation had been going on for about 30 minutes already) and I was (For anyone who has played it) in an area that headed into a warehouse which contained some empty tins. Now, back to the present, my father had finished work and was talking to me about the wife and that she had gone into remission. Randomly, once her name (Maria) and the word"cancer" was mentioned, I immediately remembered that game session of DayZ and it felt as if I was still playing it.

In the above example, DayZ had absolutely nothing to do with cancer yet the mention of the cancer triggered an insignificant memory to come forward in my brain.

So on to example number 2.

2. This was a good 6/7, if not more, years ago. I was with a friend in his mother's car. We were headed to the shopping centre (Knox shopping centre, if anyone was curious) and a random song had come on the radio. There was no conversation occuring at this point and the only sound, besides the song, was the mother singing along. So, back to the present again, and I had just downloaded a music album as I liked a few of the songs and decided to check out the rest as well. As I was listening to the music, the 7th track began to play. At this point, I was gaming and wasn't focused on the music. Boom, the above memory flings itself into my mind, and I feel as if I'm there, as if I'm there and not the younger version of me.

Wow. It's crazy how these memories are linked with random triggers.
Now, you know what the above 2 (And the upcoming) examples have in common? Each memory is insignificant. Memories that I never even gave a second thought.

The third and final example (A short one as well) that I'll be posting right now is this:

3. For this one, I don't have a date but it is possible (However, challenging) for me to obtain. Firstly, I must mention this: I tend to listen to music when gaming or reading. It relaxes me. Anyway, I had decided to begin reading 'The Walking Dead' comics and to start off, I put some music on. I settled on a song I'd like to listen to and began reading. Now, obviously the (roughly) 5 minute song didn't last the entire issue. But it's the song that linked. Every time I hear that song, it reminds me of 'The Walking Dead' comics. Not just the first issue, but it reminds me of all the issues I've read. Also, if I begin to read an issue, I remember the song.

In the above example, I don't believe that the song has linked every issue to it but instead that the song is linked to the first issue and the first issue is then linked to the other issues. It's quite amazing.
Also, I have a rough date of the when this occured, October 31, 2010. Now, I gathered that date because I had watched the newly released Walking Dead series that a friend had referred me to. It was a little after October 31 but that's as close as I can get. A little under 3 years ago and this link is still occuring. Amazing, isn't it?

Anyway, I hope I amused you and informed you of a function that the brain can perform, and without any required actions. Let me know of your thoughts below.
Sometimes stuff happens to me like this.

A notable example that occurs often in Math class is, when a teacher rights a question on the board, I will immediately think of a number, I usually discredit it and say it's wrong. After I check it, 99% of the time it's right.

Also, I miss DayZ, damn Battleye, with their global bans.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
606.gif

Reactions: nryn99 and Brian117

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
3. nostalgia.

u kno waats weird?

my brother remembers me and him doin stuff from years ago but I don't.

den i remember some stuff he did that he doesn't remember.

im only talkin bout the stuff we did as kids.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
problem.gif

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The human brain is the product of millions upon millions of years of continuing evolution and development, culminating in what we have today. The human brain has boundless imagination; it's produced all of the culture and technological progress that our culture is built upon. Hell, it's even the only organ that named itself.

...Then again, it also produced the dick butt.

dickbutt.jpg

Alright, it's not that amazing.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
When I was younger (about 12) I started buying Trident Tropical Twist chewing gum for a few months solid. Was basically addicted to the stuff. :P
It was also at this time that I purchased The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass on DS. This was the first Zelda game I'd played - I loved it and played it constantly until fully completed.

Weird thing is just the other day I walked past somebody chewing that same flavoured Trident (I haven't had the stuff in years). It literally stopped me (well I slowed down considerably) as images of Zelda on my DS came flooding back to me accompanied by the music to go with it. Only about 5 seconds AFTER that did I realise that the smell was from the gum.

How weird is that? I associated the smell with the game first way before the actual gum.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn