The Highlight Reel: PlayStation Vita

highlightattempt.png

Despite being neglected horribly by Sony after less than stellar sales in the west and subsequently being labeled as a “legacy” system, the PlayStation Vita has had more than its fair share of great games. But like any other video game system, there are a ton of titles out there, both good and bad. Are you interested in getting your hands on a Vita, but don’t know what games are worth paying attention to? Do you already have one, but are looking for something new to play? Well, this feature will be taking a look at what Sony’s latest handheld has to offer, by compiling a “best of” list, of a sorts. a highlight reel, if you will. Although a simple “top 10” could suffice, I’d like to go a bit more in depth, so that a wider variety of games get their time in the spotlight. While of course not everyone will love all the games listed, due to personal preference, I personally believe that each of these games are at least worth a try, and are the pinnacle of what this specific console has to offer! So let’s get to it!

Note that this isn’t an end-all-be all list! This is just a jumping off point for those to get started with! Also, each game will be kept to one specific list, so certain titles (we're looking at you, Persona 4!) don’t just dominate the entire thing. As a bonus, if there is a GBAtemp review available, I will link to it, so that if you're interested, you can get a bit more information on a specific game.

Best Indie Games

Due to the extra horsepower that the Vita boasts over the 3DS, Sony’s portable has flourished with numerous indie titles, many of which feel perfectly at home on a handheld system.

10. Axiom Verge (GBAtemp Official Review)

9. Salt and Sanctuary (GBAtemp Official Review)

8. Rogue Legacy (GBAtemp Offical Review)

7. Steamworld Dig/Heist

6. Guacamelee!

5. Spelunky

4. Velocity 2X/Ultra (Official GBAtemp Review)

3. Bastion

2. Binding of Issac: Rebirth

1. Shovel Knight

4590fe264b5901f821bd015e8bae2247.jpg

Best First Party Titles

While Sony Interactive Entertainment did not get too involved Vita projects after the initial launch, there still were some solid releases for those first couple of years.

5. Tearaway

4. Wipeout 2048

3. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Official GBAtemp Review)

2. Killzone: Mercenary (Official GBAtemp Review)

1. Gravity Rush
One of the most unique takes on platforming, SCE Japan's Gravity Rush is a beautiful game, with a lot of style. The game manages to make good use of the Vita's features, while refraining from feeling gimmicky.

CZqj4DOWkAAytJe.jpg

Best Visual Novels

Japanese games work absolutely perfectly on the Vita, and thanks to Japan, you’ll not only see a lot of JRPGs, but visual novels as well. Luckily, a number of localization studios have translated these interactive novels for the English-speaking public.

10. Psycho Pass: Mandatory Happiness (Official GBAtemp Review)

9. Amnesia: ~Memories~ (Official GBAtemp Review)

8. Norn9: Var Commons

7. Corpse Party: Blood Drive

6. Xblaze Code: Embryo

5. Root Letter (Official GBAtemp Review)

4. Code Realize: Guardian of Rebirth

3. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (2: Goodbye Despair) (Official GBAtemp Review)

2. The Nonary Games (Zero Time Dilemma) (Official GBAtemp Review)

1. Steins;Gate (Steins;Gate 0) (Official GBAtemp Review)
A top-form visual novel in every way. A compelling narrative, lovable characters, and beautiful art make Steins;Gate one of the best in its genre.

header.jpg

Best Ports

Just like any other handheld, ports of older classics come in droves, and the Vita is no different. It’s a marvel to have the ability to take PS2-era games on-the-go!

10. God of War Collection

9. XCOM: Enemy Unknown Plus

8. Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3

7. Jet Set Radio

6. Ratchet and Clank: HD Collection (Official GBAtemp Review)

5. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Official GBAtemp Review)

4. Sly Cooper Trilogy

3. Final Fantasy X/X-2

2. Muramasa: Rebirth

1. Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection
Kojima's stealthy action game makes a perfect fit on handheld, with the Vita version boasting solid visuals and performance.

metal_gear_solid_integral_steam_banner_by_golmore-d79735o.png

Best Online Play

Sometimes playing singleplayer just isn't enough. When you need a multiplayer fix, you can turn to these games!

5. Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom (Official GBAtemp Review)

4. Hot Shots Golf

3. LittleBigPlanet

2. Minecraft

1. Freedom Wars

DQbjOWN.png

Best Salad Mix

This is for the games that don’t really fit into their own category, yet still deserve mention in some form or another.

10. Dariusburst Chronicles

9. OlliOlli (2)

8. Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate

7. Resogun

6. Sonic All Stars Racing: Transformed

5. Pixeljunk Shooter

4. Yomawari Night Alone (Official GBAtemp Review)

3. Severed (Official GBAtemp Review)

2. Rayman Legends

1. Dragon Quest Builders

Dragon-_Quest-_Builders-_Logo.jpg

Best Rhythm Games

And of course, we cannot forget the fantastic rhythm games available to play. Here are the best of the best:

5. Persona 4: Dancing All Night

4. Taiko no Tatsujin V (GBAtemp Fan Translation Project)

3. Superbeat XONiC (Official GBAtemp Review)

2. IA/VT Colorful (GBAtemp Fan Translation Project)

1. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F2nd (The Diva series in general)

XdEmfrm.png

Best JRPGs

The bread-and-butter of this system. While AAA western development was lacking, that didn’t stop Japanese game studios. This is definitely the strongest part of the Vita’s library.

15. World of Final Fantasy (Official GBAtemp Review)

14. Trillion (Official GBAtemp Review)

13. Grand Kingdom

12. Ar NoSurge

11. Dungeon Travelers 2 (Official GBAtemp Review)

10. Stranger of Sword City (Official GBAtemp Review)

9. Lost Dimension (Official GBAtemp Review)

8. Demon Gaze

7. Shiren the Wanderer

6. Digimon: Cyber Sleuth

5. Hyperdimension Neptunia (series) (Official GBAtemp Review)

4. Atelier Totori (Atelier series in general)

3. Trails of Cold Steel (II) (Official GBAtemp Review)

2. Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (Official GBAtemp Review)

1. Persona 4: Golden
Quite possibly one of the greatest JRPGs that you can experience. The Vita port of Persona 4 not only adds balancing in terms of gameplay, but adds new scenarios and characters, making Golden the absolute definitive version of the game.

1452103782050-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel.jpg

Best Action-RPGs

Do you prefer other styles of games that aren’t turned-based or as text-heavy? These games set themselves apart from the JRPGs by having more action-based combat and gameplay, instead of the calmer turned-based typical JRPG style.

10. Akiba’s Trip (Official GBAtemp Review)

9. Adventures of Mana

8. Toukiden Kiwami (Official GBAtemp Review)

7. God Eater 2: Rage Burst

6. Freedom Wars (Official GBAtemp Review)

5. Soul Sacrifice: Delta

4. Dragon’s Crown

3. Tales of Hearts: R (Official GBAtemp Review)

2. Ys: Memories of Celceta

1. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (GBAtemp Official Review)
Leifthrasir is an improvement of the original Odin Sphere in every way imaginable. If you were a fan of the original game, love beat-em-ups, or just want a game with solid combat, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is a must-play.

CkmuVWZXEAA2D2P.jpg

Best Exclusives

Many Vita games have made their way to other systems, be it PC or PS4. And while that’s fine, some people are interested in pure exclusives. What from the above is an experience you can only get on a PlayStation Vita? The answer is in the following:
5. Freedom Wars

4. IA/VT Colorful

3. Tales of Hearts R

2. Ys: Memories of Celceta

1. Persona 4: Golden

yB4BoJq.png

With a strong existing library, and even more huge titles on the way in 2017, the PlayStation Vita has more than proved that it's thriving, and still has a long life ahead of it!

So, what do you think? Did I miss any titles that you think deserve to be on here? What did you think of this article? Is there a specific system you'd like to see featured next? Let me know! :yaypsp:

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wonder what's going on with Sony Entertainment outside Japan. They didn't even give Vita a chance and just declare it a legacy console. However, Vita in Japan is still popular and are still releasing some nice candy-colored versions of the console and more dating sims. hehe.

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But we can play the only Pokemon games that mattered on the Vita with VHBL, and then even if your on the newest firmware...I think? At least if you're on all the way up to 3.63 you can play RED, Yellow, and Blue. When Poke got past those it was a monotonous bore for me, though I hear they made a remake of the original for GBA? VHBL can easily run GBA. And cant forget pokemon pinball, thats a classic!
Too bad Gold,Silver, and Crystal were much better games.

Gen 2 4 lyfe yo.

DarkWork0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i want to buy a vita just to play ps4 games off the tv lol, tbh i looked at all this games here and they are either on other platforms already or i dont care about them at all, the only game i might have wanted was resistance for the vita :P
You can still play PS4 games off the TV with any smartphone, don't need a Vita just for that.

chocoboss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
We have many good games on vita : project diva ( miku :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub: )
diva-f-2-logo.jpg

But also : hyperdimension neptunia ( the serie of 4 games )
header.jpg

We also have borderland 2 !
header.jpg

The real problem of the vita was that sony never comunicate about it >.<

D

Deleted User

I haven't really touched my Vitas for a few weeks until recently I got back into playing Hyperdimension Neptunia re;birth 3 and a few PSP/PS1 ISOs through ePSP hacks; still have a lot of gameplay to get through! :P

There seems to be countless worthwhile games on that list I still haven't tried out yet, so that further drives my urge to pick up and play on my Vitas more often in the future. Anyhow, glad to see the Vita got another Temp article it deserves! :yaypsp:

Reactions: Chary

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the Dreamcast not a "legacy" console?
You are absolutely correct. But I only agree with that based solely on the time that has passed since it's launch date. It hasn't been even close to a decade for the Vita and the technology isn't as archaic in comparison with today's standards. It just seems odd even though Sony wants to write this off as a failure.

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to order one of those Japanese vita's, the import duties and shipping are what worry me though. I'd really hate for it to be sent around all over and the item get damaged because they put the items in different boxes and may kick the boxes repeatedly to try and make it fit. I could just get a decal, but I'm also like dammit I want it and I don't care that its expensive. XD

Last edited by RivenMain,

DbGt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
I dont understand why people like so much the vita, nowdays it is not necessary

I just bought a PsTV last month and modified it. Apart from Persona, there really is no reason to have it, all or most of its games are either on ps3 or already ported to pc/ps4.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice list. I picked up one a couple of weeks back. While it can't compete with my guitar, it's certainly a cool device.

I can vouch for most indie games being great, btw. I'd add stealth inc 1 and 2 to it, but I couldn't say in what spot. :-P

Reactions: Chary

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Doesn't there need to be a successor hardware in order for a hardware to be considered "legacy"?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
"Legacy" in computing basically means "discontinued". There doesn't have to be a successor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_system

As for the PSVita, it's a fantastic system. It's hard to poke holes in it - hardware-wise it's an excellent design and it's a shame it didn't reach mainstream support and wide-spread adoption. There's lots of great games out there for it and it's definitely worth picking up. It's easily one of my favourite underrated consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good morning