The GBAtemp Homebrew Bounty Returns!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Dec 20, 2010.

Dec 20, 2010
    • Administrator

Costello Headmaster

Message Count:
    The Homebrew Bounty is an event that was originally initiated by GBAtemp a few years back. The idea was to allow us to gather funds from websites and visitors, funds that would be entirely reversed to homebrew developers. In short, this project is meant to be a reward to the people behind the awesome games, applications, emulators and menu/loaders that everyone can download and enjoy on their consoles, free of charge.

[IMG]

This year's edition will be a bit different. Firstly, this bounty will not directly rely on user donations. Instead, it is us GBAtemp who will be funding the prizes. And for the most cynical among you: don't worry about it, we've got it all covered this time. The money's already here waiting to be given away! ;-) We have decided to split this bounty into five different categories.

Homebrew developers will have a little more than 4 months to work on their project. All kinds of projects may be submitted: games, applications, emulators, loaders... the only requirement is that the project must either be completely new, or come in a new version that presents significant updates. There is no particular definition of "significant update", all projects are eligible but the importance of updates will probably be decisive in the jury's mind.

Speaking of which: winners of each competition will be elected by a jury composed of knowledged and notorious people from the flashcart and homebrew scenes. Results will be disclosed early May, a little over 4 months from now. The limit date for submitting your application is April 30th. Let us now discover the categories that will be worked on in this bounty.

Nintendo DSi Homebrew. $750 in donations!
    With the release of the new CycloDS iEvolution card, DSi mode homebrew is now possible! To get the DSi homebrew scene started, we have decided to award a $750 donation to the top three homebrew that will be released.
    First prize: $500
    Second prize: $150
    Third prize: $100

Supercard DSTWO Homebrew. $250 in donations!
    The Supercard DSTWO is a particular flashcart that comes with a 360MHz CPU and extra RAM memory. This allows for advanced homebrew developments such as GBA and SNES emulators, video/media players and more. We will donate a total of $250 to the winners of this competition.
    First prize: $150
    Second prize: $60
    Third prize: $40

Nintendo DS Homebrew. $500 in donations!
    Even if the regular Nintendo DS development scene has been relatively quiet lately, we still believe great homebrew projects can come out of it. There are some extremely talented people out there and we are going to reward them for their work. We will donate a total of $500 to the winners of this competition.
    First prize: $300
    Third prize: $50

Nintendo Wii Homebrew. $500 in donations!
    There's been hot DS related news recently, but with the Wii cool stuff happens all throughout the year! The Wii scene is extremely active and we feel it is only fair to reward people who work behind the scenes to make our consoles better. $500 will be awarded to the winners of this competition.
    First prize: $300
    Third prize: $50

GBAtemp Special Prize. $500 in donations
    There is no submitting entries for this one. We have decided that we would be rewarding one author whose contribution to the Nintendo DS scene was particularly significant. The winning project author will receive the entire $500. A special jury composed of GBAtemp members will determine which project should be awarded the prize.
    Prize: $500

So that's right, GBAtemp will be awarding a total of $2500 in donations! That's five time mores than the original bounty! Details on how we managed to fund the bounty are available further below. If you wish to contribute to the bounty and offer donations to developers, send your donations via PayPal to filetrip/at/gmail/dot/com and let us know which category or categories your donation should go to. Your name or nickname will be publicly displayed in news articles about donation updates. Don't be afraid to donate just one dollar: if every member of the GBAtemp community did so, we would be able to gather over $250,000... Every little bit helps! GBAtemp also invites partner websites, flashcart teams and everyone to join in and make a one-off donation, let's make this a common effort!

[IMG]

Here comes the best part. You are probably wondering how we could devote so much money into this. Here is our answer. We have been collaborating with the Supercard Team to create a Supercard DSTWO Limited Collector Edition bearing the colors of our beloved community!

[IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

This special Collector Edition comes in a splendid packaging designed by yours truly- GBAtemp admins shaunj66 and Ace Gunman. Here is a full description of the contents of this little gem:
    • The product comes in a special GBAtemp style white metal tin
    • The box is wrapped into a stylish black GBAtemp style sleeve
    • A microSD USB card reader is included
    • The regular Supercard DSTWO manual is included
    • A nice-looking small black strap
    • A blue case for your card
    • A high-quality black stylus
    • The cartridge is white and comes with a GBAtemp style label
    There are only 200 pieces available in the world and they are carried by all of our partner stores. Our partner stores are listed on the home page on the right hand side. They might not have the product enabled yet, but that's because we asked them to keep it invisible until we made the announcement! ;-) In order to allow us to collect money for homebrew developers, they have agreed to donate $10 off every card they sell. In other words, when you buy this card you are implicitely contributing to helping the Homebrew Bounty with a $10 donation! If you haven't got your Supercard DSTWO yet (or want seconds?) do not miss out on the occasion to get a unique piece of GBAtemp History.

P.S.: we would truly be grateful if people didn't buy too many pieces at once and then sell those on eBay when shops run out of stock! Please feel free to get one for you, your family or friends, but do not seek to make profit out of this (or if you do so well donate your profit to the bounty, hah!). The Homebrew Bounty and Christmas are times of generosity, sharing and mutual aid; please leave greed out of this!
    P.P.S.: have you noticed how the design of that card looks different from our current mascot? Well that might not be totally innocent...

• Global Moderator

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 2

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Wow, that's pretty nice; shame I can't make any homebrew. [IMG]

And that's a nice looking Special Edition. [IMG] May even have to pick one up myself.

And PPS: May there be a new mascot in the works? [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Message Count:
    Italy
    Awesome!
    Those are some seriously epic prizes.
    *wants DSTWO*
    So, is the mascot getting another update/change then?

lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Message Count:
    Philippines
    That is one sexy cart...

BTW how do devs actually make the DSi homebrew? They get iEvo's free?

Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    DO WANT that supercard.

Aaaaaaand, is there some place people can donate again or what?

Anyway, brb, need to think of some homebrew to make to participate.
    • Administrator

Costello Headmaster

Message Count:
    I would appreciate if people would refrain from commenting about how "we are biased to the Supercard team" blah blah blah insert some hateful crap here.
    We had to go with one card and we thought the SCDSTWO would be the one that would please most users [IMG] I'm sure everyone can understand that.

The whole point of this is to get funds for the bounty, I hope everyone realizes that.

The way I see it, in the end it should benefit everyone:
    - homebrew developers that will get money
    - users that will enjoy new/improved homebrew
    - flashcart resellers (that will make profit off the CycloDS iEvolution and SCSDTWO)
    - Cyclops and SC teams who will be benefiting from this
    - and erm... Nintendo will sell more DSi consoles? [IMG]

but again, thats just the way I see it.

if you read the post carefully you will find the answer [IMG]

Dter ic ~

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    id say Xenon was quite significant. i mean he was the one who brought us loaders and other stuff that make moonshel2 so awsome [IMG] (too bad he left though because of some imposter [IMG])

i'd forgot to mention that Moonlight was the one who brought us the sexy looking meadia player in the first place. without it most people wouldn't be so intrested in getting moonshel to load roms

oh yeah one last thing. Yup that limited edition dstwo does awsome [IMG]

RoMee ??

Message Count:
    United States
    I didn't see the store list, what store has the dstwo for sale?
    • Administrator

Costello Headmaster

Message Count:
    our recommended stores list on the home page will be updated later today to unveil the list of shops that will be carrying the product

RoMee ??

Message Count:
    United States
    Thanks, costello
    I'll check back later
    awesome job on the dstwo
    • Global Moderator

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 2

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    It's a shame ShopTemp isn't around to sell them now.
    • Former Staff

Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Message Count:
    Croatia
    I'm so excited [IMG]

This will be so much fun! And simply can't wait to see the tempcart "in flesh".

haddad GBAtemp's Official Video Reviewerâ„¢

Message Count:
    Canada
    I dont get what this means, is it a contest? Are those the prizes?

I Want that special ds2 btw 0_OOOOOO
    • Supervisor

tj_cool Stuff

Message Count:
    Belgium
    Yeah, they were originally planned to be sold only there if I'm right.
    • Former Staff

Message Count:
    Croatia
    Yeah, that was a really bad timing (I mean any timing for getting closed is bad timing), but it would have been awesome if this cart was ShopTemp exclusive!

Well, as long as it's sold in the end, it's all well [IMG]

Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    *sigh*... I seriously need to learn to read, I think this is the second time now when commenting/asking about a post of yours [IMG]
    Anyway, maybe you could add one of those fancy little boxes again, with a button to donate, and where it says how much there is donated, I think that will motivate people more then just an email adress.

EDIT:
    [IMG]That's the one I meant.

rockstar99 Hi

Message Count:
    Canada
    Great way to get developers motivated [IMG]
    Love the special DS2
    • Former Staff

Message Count:
    Croatia
    Well, read the post and a lot more will be clear.
    It's a contest for homebrew developers! Prizes are listed (money),

And tempcart will be available for purchase for everybody, only there is a limited number of carts, so everybody who wants one, better be quick [IMG]

HaniKazmi New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I wasn't going to get a DS2, but that limited edition is very tempting [IMG] . May get one as a christmas present to myself now.

shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Message Count:
    Italy
    I'm gonna be camping on the home page for most of the day xD

SPONSORED LINKS