FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Aw, I was just starting to spin things up with proxmox. That said I am more concerned with doing and disaster recovery at this stage (performance is a lesser concern) and proxmox does not look like it gets in the way of either.

On Apple hardware quality sure and they do seem to be trying some nice things out (PCI SSD in laptops recently saw me turn my head). Alas I do need to service things and trying to find parts in the UK is a nightmare let alone actually making it happen (unless it is a crazy size security torx for a car or something my usual problems are from Apple stuff).

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Update so to speak.

The vendor spam one morning had a very nice looking/reviewed SSD drive appear in it for money I was willing to pay (£50 by the time next day shipping was done, 120 gigs, 550 read, 500 write, 90K IOPS).

After plumbing it in (and making up for a rather lax policy concerning cable management in times past) I stuck Linux Mint 16 XFCE (64 bit)* and migrated things. I decided not to do full VM/proxmox type thing this time around as dual core and 4 gigs of ram will probably not have done it justice.
As it was a new drive I can technically dual boot still back to XP, I do not imagine I will really be doing that though.

I imagine there will be a fair bit of fiddling over the weeks to come but it is going pretty well thus far. Bonus is XFCE seems to do rather well at multimonitor, with a bit of coaxing it has even beaten what stock windows can be slapped into doing and is brushing up against ultramon (or at least what I and everybody I know uses ultramon for).

*not the longest supported thing I know and annoyingly the next version is probably going to be the LTS (long term service) version. The end of XP kind of forced my hand though.

It is very nippy.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Update so to speak.

The vendor spam one morning had a very nice looking/reviewed SSD drive appear in it for money I was willing to pay (£50 by the time next day shipping was done, 120 gigs, 550 read, 500 write, 90K IOPS).

After plumbing it in (and making up for a rather lax policy concerning cable management in times past) I stuck Linux Mint 16 XFCE (64 bit)* and migrated things. I decided not to do full VM/proxmox type thing this time around as dual core and 4 gigs of ram will probably not have done it justice.
As it was a new drive I can technically dual boot still back to XP, I do not imagine I will really be doing that though.

I imagine there will be a fair bit of fiddling over the weeks to come but it is going pretty well thus far. Bonus is XFCE seems to do rather well at multimonitor, with a bit of coaxing it has even beaten what stock windows can be slapped into doing and is brushing up against ultramon (or at least what I and everybody I know uses ultramon for).

*not the longest supported thing I know and annoyingly the next version is probably going to be the LTS (long term service) version. The end of XP kind of forced my hand though.

It is very nippy.

Good for you FAST. Linux Mint is a great choice..

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
if you still want to use the same old system i suggest you install "Windows 7 starter" (that is the most lightweight version) on it.
I installed it a few times now, and the results were not bad.

If the system can run XP, it can probably run win7starter too, the only trick is too find the correct hardware drivers for windows 7, sometimes that can be a bitch.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good for you FAST. Linux Mint is a great choice..

Yeah I have several clients running mint of various versions and use debian for most of my lower end hardware (people always seem to want to give me old laptops).

Rather nicely it seems to have taken a step back from previous entries as well and will let me fiddle which I always like to see.

Now it is video (got to figure out avxsynth, kdenlive is quite nice though) and VMs to sort out, sadly for the latter it seems it is a bit memory hungry so I might have to add some more in there.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
A few days ago I was on Windows XP and jumped to Windows 7 (Home Premium), it runs smoothly and it's more or less like the same but without the worry of ending in 8th April 2014.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah if you are running a halfway modest systems (which is to say something with more than 512 megs of RAM) then 7 and XP seem to function about the same, give or take annoyances with drivers/printers. Probably even faster by virtue of being a fresh install.

Pity you have to half think about finding a copy should you decide to go legit.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why I would stop using XP unless a gun was pointed at me.. just because it isn't supported doesn't mean it no longer runs right? It will still work as good as before, right?

p.s. it is bizarre that gbatemp displays time thread was made but not the date. So for a 4 month old thread you get to know it was made at an 8 PM. All right! Thanks! That really puts the post into a better context.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why I would stop using XP unless a gun was pointed at me.. just because it isn't supported doesn't mean it no longer runs right? It will still work as good as before, right?

p.s. it is bizarre that gbatemp displays time thread was made but not the date. So for a 4 month old thread you get to know it was made at an 8 PM. All right! Thanks! That really puts the post into a better context.

Well, you won't be getting any more security updates or bug fixes, so if you are at all concerned about your privacy and security (which you should be) then its already a.bad choice to use. Windows 98 still works but you don't really see anyone using that anymore.also the only 64 bit version of XP was kind of a flop and had very little support in general.

Also, bottom of every single post lists the time if the post was in the last hour, day and time if it was made in the past week, and date if it was made even further back. Top left of every page has the thread creation date.

locolol

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
I have been using Win XP (sp1,2,3) since 2003 and the end of support from microsoft doesn't affect me,i've never used windows update and everything works like a charm :3 Never had a problem :yaysp:

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I have been using Win XP (sp1,2,3) since 2003 and the end of support from microsoft doesn't affect me,i've never used windows update and everything works like a charm :3 Never had a problem :yaysp:

You could be using Windows 95 or the best Windows ME (sarcasm) but does it mean they're secure to be using nowadays? Of course not, you're at risk but then again there's always that chance.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I held on to XP through the Vista era, but dumped it for good once Windows 7 came out, and haven't had any reason to look back. The only thing I liked from XP better than 7 is the networking always worked... It's retarded in 7.

I'm using 8.1 now, and other than Photoshop instability, It's a keeper. (I'm stuck with CS5, CS6 and CC both crash after using certain tools. )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse