Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, afaik, at the moment, there really isn't a way to do so. Either take the bar with you, or honestly if this is an issue you will be running into a lot, maybe invest in a second one? They are super cheap.

Houjin

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unfortunately, afaik, at the moment, there really isn't a way to do so. Either take the bar with you, or honestly if this is an issue you will be running into a lot, maybe invest in a second one? They are super cheap.

Hmm okay I see, well yes seems like I have no other choice than buying a new bar then...

Thanks for your help!

And one more thing:
A while ago I found a thread where the fullscreen mode of Nintendont was discussed, but I can´t find it anymore, I mean the part where they were talking about it.
I have the problem that on the left and teh right side all the games have a black bar, even after activating "Force Widescreen" in the system settings. Do you know how it can be fixed?

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm okay I see, well yes seems like I have no other choice than buying a new bar then...

Thanks for your help!

And one more thing:
A while ago I found a thread where the fullscreen mode of Nintendont was discussed, but I can´t find it anymore, I mean the part where they were talking about it.
I have the problem that on the left and teh right side all the games have a black bar, even after activating "Force Widescreen" in the system settings. Do you know how it can be fixed?

Honestly, I've never had that problem. Sounds like something @Cyan might be better suited to answer. But I'd assume there's a setting when you launch Nintendont through the Homebrew Channel, that is forcing 4:3.

CatNap1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Heya. I followed this guide for my Wii U and it worked great, no problems! I have a kinda-related question though. Would it be possible and safe to use YABDM or another app to take the .bin files of my VC games on my Wii and turn them into .wad files on my SD card, then install those onto my VWii?

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of that I am not completely certain. In all honesty, I am against piracy, but in this particular instance, it is both easier and frankly the only real way I know of, to search up the VC and WiiWare games you want, find them in .wad format, and install them that way using YABDM. I am obliged not to share links, though. PM me if you want specific search phrases.

Reactions: CatNap1

CatNap1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alrighty. I was hoping to avoid downloading them but I guess that'll be the easiest reliable way. Thanks for the quick response :)

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty. I was hoping to avoid downloading them but I guess that'll be the easiest reliable way. Thanks for the quick response :)

No problem. Pretty much been on here like 24 / 7 since I joined lol. Let me know if there is anything further I can do for you.

Reactions: 7Robins

whitephoenix00ZX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this is a good place to post my request for help. I had already successfully installed the Homebrew Channel on my vWii a long time ago with ease, but unfortunately when I recently made a stupid mistake trying to install cIOS for wiiflow to get it working, I messed something up and Homebrew wouldn't load again when I started the channel, I kept on trying to load it but I kept on getting a black screen, so I got really scared and thought I could fix it by deleting the channel and it's save data in data management and then reinstalling it through smashstack, so I downloaded all the files I needed to install the HBC again, I successfully loaded smashstack in Brawl (Smash Bros.) but when I got to the scam warning screen at the Hackmii Installer [Press 1 to continue] appeared on the screen after a moment, but when I pressed 1 nothing happened, it was as if the wiimote had gone out of sync but it's lights remained on, anyway I kept on loading hackmii installer numerous times using various methods, such as replacing the boot.elf for hackmii installer with the boot.elf of Multi Mod Manager (MMM) and loading it from there numerous times, that failed too, I then found and went to Modmii's Hackmii solutions and downloaded some IOS wads needed for Hackmii Installer and Homebrew to work, I used MMM and other wad managers to try and install the IOS wads but they all failed, and then it turns out Modmii is only for the original Wii and the wads I was trying to install were not even supposed to be installed on vWii and that the wads could end up bricking my Wii U, after that I tried Dump Mii Nand and at first I thought it was just naturally going to take a while because the system was dumping stuff, but after about an hour still not a thing happened (I've heard some say that it takes almost a day to dump all the needed files, I could be wrong), so I simply just stopped trying at that and thats pretty much where I'm left at now. Theres a lot of confusion going on here and I don't know what I did wrong or where I went wrong, but I know I'm doing something wrong and I'm desperate for someone to help me fix my Homebrew Channel, I think theres still hope, it has to be a simple fix, I think it might have something to do with the IOS or cIOS needed for vWii homebrew to work, I could have messed something up like uninstalling or overwriting an IOS I wasn't supposed to while trying to figure out how to install the ones needed for wiiflow, but I'll never know if this is true and how to fix it unless someone can help and guide me so I can fix my problem and get hackmii installer to work so I can download HBC again and maybe even help me to get wiiflow working too (maybe I shouldn't push it right now :wink:.) :!:PLEASE HELP ME!!:cry::wacko::!:

Last edited by whitephoenix00ZX,

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this is a good place to post my request for help. I had already successfully installed the Homebrew Channel on my vWii a long time ago with ease, but unfortunately when I recently made a stupid mistake trying to install cIOS for wiiflow to get it working, I messed something up and Homebrew wouldn't load again when I started the channel, I kept on trying to load it but I kept on getting a black screen, so I got really scared and thought I could fix it by deleting the channel and it's save data in data management and then reinstalling it through smashstack, so I downloaded all the files I needed to install the HBC again, I successfully loaded smashstack in Brawl (Smash Bros.) but when I got to the scam warning screen at the Hackmii Installer [Press 1 to continue] appeared on the screen after a moment, but when I pressed 1 nothing happened, it was as if the wiimote had gone out of sync but it's lights remained on, anyway I kept on loading hackmii installer numerous times using various methods, such as replacing the boot.elf for hackmii installer with the boot.elf of Multi Mod Manager (MMM) and loading it from there numerous times, that failed too, I then found and went to Modmii's Hackmii solutions and downloaded some IOS wads needed for Hackmii Installer and Homebrew to work, I used MMM and other wad managers to try and install the IOS wads but they all failed, and then it turns out Modmii is only for the original Wii and the wads I was trying to install were not even supposed to be installed on vWii and that the wads could end up bricking my Wii U, after that I tried Dump Mii Nand and at first I thought it was just naturally going to take a while because the system was dumping stuff, but after about an hour still not a thing happened (I've heard some say that it takes almost a day to dump all the needed files, I could be wrong), so I simply just stopped trying at that and thats pretty much where I'm left at now. Theres a lot of confusion going on here and I don't know what I did wrong or where I went wrong, but I know I'm doing something wrong and I'm desperate for someone to help me fix my Homebrew Channel, I think theres still hope, it has to be a simple fix, I think it might have something to do with the IOS or cIOS needed for vWii homebrew to work, I could have messed something up like uninstalling or overwriting an IOS I wasn't supposed to while trying to figure out how to install the ones needed for wiiflow, but I'll never know if this is true and how to fix it unless someone can help and guide me so I can fix my problem and get hackmii installer to work so I can download HBC again and maybe even help me to get wiiflow working too (maybe I shouldn't push it right now :wink:.) :!:PLEASE HELP ME!!:cry::wacko::!:
Definitely in the right place now. :yaywii:

I don't know very much on recovering, so the only thing I can add is that dumping my (mii) nand only took about an hour. My friend's took upwards of three hours, so I think it varies.

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You still have a case of the chatties lol. But yes, correct thread.

As you have read, vWii and Wii are not one to one copies of the same software, and Modmii as well as most of the cIOS you installed are for the regular Wii. Homebrew Channel attempts to load from IOS58, though, not a cIOS file. So you've replaced your IOS58 I believe at some point. Since Homebrew Channel can't boot from there, it may try your cIOS files, but even those files it sounds you have replaced with original Wii cIOS.

That's going to be the hurdle here. We need access to some homebrew applications to install the correct IOS file, but you can't currently run the homebrew channel.

I am going to be at work and school all day. Give me til tonight to think about what we can do. In the meantime, wait and see if someone else has some suggestions.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That could be fixed, but I think nothing has been done yet.
that side black bars are part of WiiU resolution... (I suspect you are on WiiU).
to fix these, nintendont would have to deform the screen size (around 30px I think). Devolution is doing it, it's an option called "overscan fix" or something like that.

Currently, the only video settings on nintendont are for real 4:3 and 16:9 switch on WiiU (which can't be done on Wii, as it's a fake 16:9 on wii).

Houjin

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That could be fixed, but I think nothing has been done yet.
that side black bars are part of WiiU resolution... (I suspect you are on WiiU).
to fix these, nintendont would have to deform the screen size (around 30px I think). Devolution is doing it, it's an option called "overscan fix" or something like that.

Currently, the only video settings on nintendont are for real 4:3 and 16:9 switch on WiiU (which can't be done on Wii, as it's a fake 16:9 on wii).

Okay I see thank you.
But to use Devolution I need a Wii, right?

Houjin

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm okay unfortunately I don´t have a Wii..

Well then I will just play with the black bars, anyway thanks for your help!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
play in a dark room, you won't see the edge of your TV and won't notice overscan :P
that's a funny comment, but it works with 4:3 image on widescreen tv and top/down black-bars in movies, you end not noticing them after some time.

raphzthename

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you selected the briefcase looking icon on the USB Loader GX Menu and selected or de-selected and then re-selected Wii and Gamecube games? Sometimes odd things can happen when adding games and this will temporarily disregard any game cache the program stores and pull in new files.

JaXRx3s.jpg

I don't seem to have sub-categories for Wii and Gamecube games:
YttFcvR.jpg

As far as it freezing when you load USB Loader GX, is USB Loader GX currently running from the HDD in question?

USB Loader GX is currently installed on my SD card.

Also, you should go into the USB Loader GX Settings while the HDD is unplugged, and see if the correct setting has been put for the USB Drive.
Go to Settings (Gears icon) --> Hard Drive Settings --> Game/Install Partition.
If it has anything in there, click it and it should return to the default value.
Restart USB Loader GX with the HDD plugged in this time, see if you have the same issue. If not, great.
If you experience the same issue, attempt to go in without the HDD plugged in, then plug it in when it loads, and go back to the above settings.
Click the option and see if you have multiple partitions or if it eventually settles on one setting.

Let me know of your results.

Settings while HD is unplugged:
eEHnnEt.jpg

Settings while HD is plugged in:
UNcRn8G.jpg

I'm at a loss for why it's not picking up the game. It seems like it is able to recognize the drive. Scratching my head over what to do next. Think there's some other setting that isn't configured correctly?

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On you first picture, are you clicking the fourth icon from the left, the one that looks like a briefcase, or the fifth from the left, the one that looks like a cabinet? You want to get to a screen that looks roughly like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Then, if Wii and GC games are checked, un check them along with everything else, and hit ok. Then open that menu back up, check wii and GC games again, but leave everything else unchecked. Then hit ok and I think you will be golden.

Reactions: raphzthename

raphzthename

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On you first picture, are you clicking the fourth icon from the left, the one that looks like a briefcase, or the fifth from the left, the one that looks like a cabinet? You want to get to a screen that looks roughly like this:

Then, if Wii and GC games are checked, un check them along with everything else, and hit ok. Then open that menu back up, check wii and GC games again, but leave everything else unchecked. Then hit ok and I think you will be golden.

You're a wizard! (and I'm a dumb ass)

Thanks so much for your help! All good now :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...