Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

tin77

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Thank you for the quick reply.
I already tried d2xv10-beta53-alt-vWii without success.
I tried plugging before turning on without success too.
Now I just tried slot 251 and instead of the game starting it returns to the wii menu. :-(

Rabada34

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello I did the vWii hacking and successfuly play GC Games like Simpson Hit&Run and Mario Kart DD, thanks u !!

The problem is that I have a 2TB HDD plugged in the rear of my Wii U formated in FAT32 with a wbfs folder with 2 Wii games (Mario Kart Wii and DB Budokai Tenkashi 3)
When I launch USB Loader Gx, my HDD isn't detected, in the hard drive settings is writen "game install partition : not initialized" I tried with all ports of my Wii U, tried with an USB stick but its still doesnt detect any USB support. My SD card is detected..

What should I do ? How can I post a syscheck ? Thanks

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
did you follow the guide in the first post to install the cIOS ?
if you have the cIOS installed, but it doesn't work, you can try with IOS58.

Settings > Loader's settings > Loader's IOS : 58
reboot.

tin77 :
Sorry to hear that :(
the cIOS based on IOS58 has less compatibility, but games using USB accessories should work fine with it.
are you sure you installed a cIOS in slot251? rebooting at launch is often a symptom of missing or bad cIOS installation.

Rabada34

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello
I changed the slot to USB 0 and it worked perfectly, my HDD was detected (I didn't find my wii games but i had to check "Wii games" in the settings at the top.

I got one question: I have two HDD, one for Wii U games (installed with WUP Manager+USB Helper) and one for Wii/GC games, is it possible to put the Wii/GC games on my first HDD where are stocked my Wii Games ? And I would like to know how to play with my Wii U pro controller to Wii games ? I can't stand Wiimote at all... Thanks :)

Last edited by Rabada34,

tin77

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I just reinstalled "d2xv10-beta53-alt-vWii" as described in the guide again (Installing cIOS 249, 250 and 251, step 4).
Same result as before. Selecting cIOS 251 I come back to the vWii when trying to launch the game.
What can be wrong? The Homebrew Chanel? The forwarder to USB Loader GX? USB Loader GX iteself?
(Maybe I also have the wrong games. I will test other games soon.)
I start getting desperate...

Last edited by tin77,

xLothwenx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I take that back. I let it sit, and it started installing again. I'm just going to be patient this time and see what it does.

Edit: It locked up again and it's a zero byte wbfs tmp file.

The same thing happened to me before I tried installing any cIOS. Window's had to repair the NTSC file system before I could delete the "wbfs" directory. Then I installed a game using Wii Backup Manager, and I got the banner to display (Skyward Sword... dang, was this banner music always that scratchy?). But loading the game returned to the Homebrew Channel. All of this was using default IOS 58.

Ugh, every single guide out there explains how to install the cIOSs but fails to explain WHY each step is necessary. "Just do it because that's what I hear everyone else does." Good knowledge sharing. WHY do I need to install the same cIOS in three separate slots (249, 250, 251)? I tried only base 57, slot 249. USB Loader GX no longer can mount my externally powered USB hard drive (Seagate 1 TB). It could see it just fine using the default IOS 58 using the bottom-front USB port.

Which two USB ports does cIOS 53-alt supposed to support? The front or the back? In any case, the back two ports don't work either. USB Loader GX sleeps my USB drive while it boots. Why is this working worse now?

EDIT: Solution: I had to go to USB Loader GX settings > Hard Drive Settings > Select "Game/Install Partition". NTFS is detected using a back USB port. Apparently I have to do this every time I use USB Loader GX, because it defaults to uninitialized.

Bash it with a rock enough times, and it works! :mellow:

Oh, and I tried installing Mario Kart Wii from the disc. IOS 58. Froze at 22.19%. "Cancel" button is typical of software cancel buttons: Doesn't work.

Last edited by xLothwenx,

trakker1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
that's the way I have mine except I'm using a y cable with my wii u hdd. my virtual wii is using a powered hdd enclosure. and, I have the virtual wii hdd using Ustealth with my gamecube games on the sd card with apps for both systems as well as redNAND. nothing ever needs to be unplugged or switched off that way. awesome-sauce!

So is there a way to have two hdd plugged in together? Surely if you have one drive plugged in using a Y-cable that would leave you no where for the powered hdd to be connected or have I read you wrong?

I currently have one hdd with my WiiU backups on brazilian method and a seperate hdd with my Wii, GC and retro backups on, I'm switching them over depending on which I want to play. Both my drives are 500GB with Y-cables.

Thanks in advance and also a massive thanks to the OP for this great guide!!!

Last edited by trakker1,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is there a way to have two hdd plugged in together?

I currently have one hdd with my WiiU backups on brazilian method and a seperate hdd with my Wii, GC and retro backups on, I'm switching them over depending on which I want to play. Both my drives are 500GB with Y-cables.

Thanks in advance and also a massive thanks to the OP for this great guide!!!

use ustealth and usb loader gx is the best way. that's what I use.

trakker1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
use ustealth and usb loader gx is the best way. that's what I use.

Surely if you have one drive plugged in using a Y-cable that would leave you no where for the powered hdd to be connected or have I read you wrong?

EDIT: I think I missed the part where the previous poster said he was using a USB Hub

Last edited by trakker1,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surely if you have one drive plugged in using a Y-cable that would leave you no where for the powered hdd to be connected or have I read you wrong?

my wii u drive is using a y cable. my wii one is powered. the powered one is using ustealth. no format nag, reads perfectly with usb loader gx. I don't know if it matters if it's using the wii u for power, but I doubt it.

Reactions: trakker1

trakker1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
my wii u drive is using a y cable. my wii one is powered. the powered one is using ustealth. no format nag, reads perfectly with usb loader gx. I don't know if it matters if it's using the wii u for power, but I doubt it.

I think I missed the part where the previous poster said he was using a USB Hub, are you using one aswell?

trakker1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
no hub, just the drives themselves.

Sorry if I'm coming across stupid here but how are you not having to switch the drives then? there's only two ports on the back? if you have your Y-cable drive plugged in where are you plugging the second drive? thanks for the replies ;-)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if I'm coming across stupid here but how are you not having to switch the drives then? there's only two ports on the back? if you have your Y-cable drive plugged in where are you plugging the second drive? thanks for the replies ;-)

the wii u has four ports - 2 in the back; 2 in the front. my powered drive is using one of the back ports.

Last edited by godreborn,

trakker1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the wii u has four ports - 2 in the back; 2 in the front. my powered drive is using one of the back ports.

So it does! silly me...

So could I use one Y-cable drive at the back and one at the front, will they both get power and not conflict as long as I'm using the ustealth program on the Wii/GC drive?

Thanks again!

Last edited by trakker1,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it does! silly me...

So could I use one Y-cable drive at the back and one at the front, will they both get power and not conflict as long as I'm using the stealth program?

Thanks again!

yes, works perfectly. usb loader gx is designed to read the stealth drive. the wii u portion won't even notice it.

trakker1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yes, works perfectly. usb loader gx is designed to read the stealth drive. the wii u portion won't even notice it.

Wow that is great! what a setup. I currently haven't used the ustealth program so the wiiu keeps asking me if I want to format the drive. I will get that sorted tonight thank you!

I take it the wii u drive can't be seen in the vWii mode either so no conflicts anywhere. Honestly thank you for your help!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow that is great! what a setup. I currently haven't used the ustealth program so the wiiu keeps asking me if I want to format the drive. I will get that sorted tonight thank you!

I take it the wii u drive can't be seen in the vWii mode either so no conflicts anywhere. Honestly thank you for your help!

u won't receive a nag in the virtual wii. only certain usb loaders work with ustealth - usb loader gx and cfg usb loader r two of them. I think there's a third usb loader, but usb loader gx is likely to be recommended. on top of that, u can create a nand backup, install wads, and change the nand backup location. I actually use my virtual wii drive with my using a usb selector. I just haven't installed usb loader gx there yet, but I have cfg usb loader attached to it which can read it anyway and my default location. I named the new nand backup after the wii u I believe. I don't think u can use a nand backup between them. I got a black screen when I tried. however, using a virtual wii's nand, it worked perfectly.

trakker1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
u won't receive a nag in the virtual wii. only certain usb loaders work with ustealth - usb loader gx and cfg usb loader r two of them. I think there's a third usb loader, but usb loader gx is likely to be recommended. on top of that, u can create a nand backup, install wads, and change the nand backup location. I actually use my virtual wii drive with my using a usb selector. I just haven't installed usb loader gx there yet, but I have cfg usb loader attached to it which can read it anyway and my default location. I named the new nand backup after the wii u I believe. I don't think u can use a nand backup between them. I got a black screen when I tried. however, using a virtual wii's nand, it worked perfectly.

I'll just stick with USB Loader GX, would the backups for any of the emulators like snes9x GX work with ustealth?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure of that. the app would have to be fixed for that. there's a version of wiixplorer that can read ustealth. that's an app u need a toggle switch for. it will read ur stealth drive, but a second drive will prevent u from seeing the content of the stealthed drive. it's a bug will the app rather than ustealth though. I dunno how it will appear to an emulator. mt guess is that it wouldn't see it. u could try a toggle switch with ur virtual wii drive. that will work as u'll be turning the drive off with a switch..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Im back