Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

Tarantus

Trophies
Website
ow.ly
XP
Country
Brazil
Question, I've modded my vWii to use HBL and USB Loader, but I'm on 5.3.2 (Wii U). Can I update do 5.5.1 without affecting my vWii?

EDIT:
Confirmed! After research about the odds of doing it, I thought of it being possible and did the trick. After updating to 5.5.1 through the internet I didn't had any issues on my vWii.

Last edited by Tarantus,

ahaddow

Trophies
XP
Country
I love the guide. Thanks for everybody's hard work maintaining the thread as well.

I went through everything last night and got HBC installed fine, everything dumped, etc. I formatted a 128GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit by following the guide.
When trying to load games through USB Launcher GX, the GCN games do not show up (The are coded properly), and my one Wii game shows up but crashes on the title screen. I didn't have time to continue trouble shooting last night. The Wii game was Fire Emblem, and when I pressed start on the title screen it froze while making an annoying beeping sound, and I had to unplug the Wii U to restart.

When trying to run Nintendon't as well, I pressed the A button on the main screen and got an error (don't have screen shot) that also required unplugging to restart.

Am I right in assuming these are issues related to the USB drive? I'm going to try again tonight with a 3.5" drive.

ahaddow

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, update. My GCN games were actually filed incorrectly, I hadn't changed them to game.iso
So, I got them to show up fine. When I click to load them, there is about 60 seconds worth of black, then Nintendon't pops up and says failed to create memory card. I enabled MCEmu at a stable size in the Nintendon't options and still get this message.

In terms of Wii emulation, I only have one file on there. The game loads up just fine and quickly, but when I press start the game just instantly crashes and I have to unplug my system.

Really not sure why I am having so much trouble, I followed the guide word for word.

Reactions: AshleyCummings

AshleyCummings

Gamer Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed this "tutorial" AND GOT NO WHERES sure got homebrew few wads BUT USB LOADER GX is useless doesn't even launch wii games it spits you to the homemenu oh and on top of that Nintendon't can't even read a controller that is supposedly compatible with it ! ok I take it back Vwii hacking is a pain ! now I gotta try to get stuff working cause apparently NOTHING WORKS

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I followed this "tutorial" AND GOT NO WHERES sure got homebrew few wads BUT USB LOADER GX is useless doesn't even launch wii games it spits you to the homemenu oh and on top of that Nintendon't can't even read a controller that is supposedly compatible with it ! ok I take it back Vwii hacking is a pain ! now I gotta try to get stuff working cause apparently NOTHING WORKS

not sure what you did but my vWii and USB Loader GX is working fine.. :/ are your Wii games in wbfs format? did you tick in the USB Loader GX settings to show "Wii" games? did you use a Y-cable to connect your hard drive to the back of WiiU? is it properly formatted and no hidden partitions? is it hidden using UStealth? so many possible reasons..

Last edited by owek1,

intensje

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can anyone reccomend me an external power usb hard disk? the one's listed on the nintendo site seem a bit outdated?
can i use any drive?

nintendo site says i have to buy this one (from western):

WDBFJK0020HBK-NESN
but all i can find on my local sites in the Netherlands is this number:
WDBFJK0020HBK-EESN

can anyone tell me what the difference is between the NESN and EESN ?
will the EESN work too?

EDIT:

i bought the drive and it works flawlessly :)

Last edited by intensje,

MaxG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used Bootice to format my hard drive to FAT32, before Ustealth, my Windows 10 computer doesn't recognize the new formatted hard drive. The drive letter is missing. I reassigned one to the hard drive, the drive shows but still won't be able to open the drive. I need to use WiiBackupManager to transfer .iso files to the new drive. Any idea?

Maha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I used Bootice to format my hard drive to FAT32, before Ustealth, my Windows 10 computer doesn't recognize the new formatted hard drive. The drive letter is missing. I reassigned one to the hard drive, the drive shows but still won't be able to open the drive. I need to use WiiBackupManager to transfer .iso files to the new drive. Any idea?

I had the same problem windows 7 did not recognize my hard drive , what i did is reasign a letter windows will still not recognize it but WBFS maneger will. Refresh drives in WBFS manager after reassigning a letter .. i hope this helps

https://wbfsmanager.codeplex.com/

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
let him the time to read the news about that new method :P
It's a little harder as it require fw.img compiling skill (he can't provide link to already compiled version), and by itself, compiling it would require a full tutorial thread, it will be full of questions about it. Look at the others threads, users don't know how to compile program or how to install python.

this definitive guide is good, because everything is provided and users just have to follow steps.
the new wuphax is a little more challenging. maybe we could wait a little until the method is getting easier. I'm sure there will be a lot of advancement in the coming days. no need to get hasty on new methods. I can't tell you how many times I updated the "brazilian" method first post guide in 10 days ! every day there were a change and a different things to do. I still updated it today to add the new DiscU method !

I think we should wait a little before adding it to this guide. users can always read the link posted above if they want it quickly.

Reactions: lafleche

Smood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Question, I've modded my vWii to use HBL and USB Loader, but I'm on 5.3.2 (Wii U). Can I update do 5.5.1 without affecting my vWii?

EDIT:
Confirmed! After research about the odds of doing it, I thought of it being possible and did the trick. After updating to 5.5.1 through the internet I didn't had any issues on my vWii.

Iam using HBL and Wiiflow on 4.0.2. Do you think Wiiflow will be effected if I update to 5.5.1?

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no issues using a 128gb card with WiiU titles.

I wanna do vWii (and give my real Wii to my btother), but the thread has gotten quite long, so do the steps in the OP still apply? I am not entirely interested in Gamecube games on my WiiU, as I still use my Gamecube (mostly) for the Gameboy Player, but maybe later.

I have a question. For Wii games that require nunchucks, can I just use the Wii U gamepad, or pro controller (or equivalent with HID to Vpad) ?

Last edited by XC-3730C,

Cava

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I setup the usb loader gx to write game saves to my sd card (partial emunand) but it doesn't work. It still saves to the nand. What am i doing wrong? I use the 1262 version in vwii mode.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone help me I have recently installed vwii now I know with the original wii you used to have to install the IOS236.wad for neogamma to work properly now are you also supposed to install in on the wiiu vwii side as well? thanks.

Edit: its ok I already have done I used the one from page 1.

Last edited by Reecey,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1