Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

Vexation

Trophies
XP
Country
Just signed up to say that this is a really good and consise guide. I hacked my Wii and loved it but haven't gotten round to getting a Wii U yet. Planned on doing so and wanted to find a guide and stumbled on this.

One thing I noticed though, there's no mention of Firmware anywhere in the guide? Is it possible on all Firmwares?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the vWii "system menu version" never had any update. (there's no firmware)
There were updated IOS on the vWii side at the same time that you updated your WiiU side, but NONE of the WiiU "firmware" version are affecting the vWii hacking.

All WiiU versions are working fine.
You can also update the WiiU after hacking vWii, it will not remove or un-hack it.

You are right about the guide.
I think it's missing a section near the start, "requirement" or something like that, which explain that :
1. it's NOT for the Wii but the WiiU! (someone tried to follow it on wii). Maybe this warning should be BEFORE the table of content.
2. that all WiiU versions are fine, and not affecting vWii.

Nontheist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This drive enclosure by Sabrent works with my vWii. Great if you have a spare 2.5" laying around or can salvage from an old laptop.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LS31KQG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You will need a Y-splitter and it's USB-A.

I was trying to be slick and I bought a USB hub with integrated drive enclosure. That didn't work at all. I wasn't aware that there was any real issue with drive incompatibilities.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for sharing the info, and it's cheap :)
I don't have 2.5" drive, I should pick one for the bigger drives. I have some spare hdd I don't know if they work or not, using an enclosure is a good idea and easier than connecting them into the PC.

Nontheist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing the info, and it's cheap :)
I don't have 2.5" drive, I should pick one for the bigger drives. I have some spare hdd I don't know if they work or not, using an enclosure is a good idea and easier than connecting them into the PC.
Got to give back to the community any way you can, right?

MaxG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for such a useful guide. I don't have a Wii U yet, just wondering does this guide apply to all different version of firmwares?

Thanks!

Max

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for such a useful guide. I don't have a Wii U yet, just wondering does this guide apply to all different version of firmwares?

Thanks!

Max
Never mind. I found the answer from Cyan's #623 post.

MaxG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to comfirm that after successfully installing Homebrew Channel, before Dumping vWii Info, I need to remove the existing 2GB SD card and insert a new SD card with apps folder which contains xyzzy, DmpMiNND and YetAnotherBlueDumpMod. Can't I just use the existing SD card?

Nontheist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to comfirm that after successfully installing Homebrew Channel, before Dumping vWii Info, I need to remove the existing 2GB SD card and insert a new SD card with apps folder which contains xyzzy, DmpMiNND and YetAnotherBlueDumpMod. Can't I just use the existing SD card?
Assuming you followed all the instructions for installing HBC, your 2GB card has backups for the vWii NAND. If you've safely backed up all relevant data then yes, you can use the same card. Depending on what you're planning on doing though you'll get better performance out of a class 10 card though.

Michierusama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent work! I got my Wii U working with a jailbroken wii mode again, just some reports I have to make.

Some links contain information that are not supposed to, in the cIOS links to gdrive, one of the links contains apps folder and inside you will find the nand dumper app together with the cIOS installer, also, in the part to dump the vWii files, not all zips contain apps folder, so I just created the folder and extracted everything as the tutorial says, just pointing this out and thank you.

Funny part, I was wondering what to do with both HBL channels then I read the FAQs and realized that I just needed to move it to the second page (as I tought, because it is only a forwarder, thus, we have to keep the original one for it to work).

Last edited by Michierusama,

MaxG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming you followed all the instructions for installing HBC, your 2GB card has backups for the vWii NAND. If you've safely backed up all relevant data then yes, you can use the same card. Depending on what you're planning on doing though you'll get better performance out of a class 10 card though.
Thank you, I will give it a try to use a different card.

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rather than reading through all these posts, should I be OK following the original post for setting up vWii on my Wii U? My external USB drive for Wii currently has Wii games in .wbfs format. I don't need to reformat that drive, do I?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't need to reformat the drive, all is working like on Wii. (it's an emulated/virtual Wii).
just follow the first post for everything. If you have question don't hesitate to ask here first.
just a thing : the first post recommend installing d2x v10 r53, I recommend installing r52 instead (less issues with game compatibility). But that's up to you, you can always replace it later if you have issues or want to try the other one.

Reactions: Michierusama

Michierusama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to reformat the drive, all is working like on Wii. (it's an emulated/virtual Wii).
just follow the first post for everything. If you have question don't hesitate to ask here first.
just a thing : the first post recommend installing d2x v10 r53, I recommend installing r52 instead (less issues with game compatibility). But that's up to you, you can always replace it later if you have issues or want to try the other one.
Which games?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
music games, like just dance
and another one I forgot.

Also, ALL emuNAND, so if you want to play Virtual console or WiiWare from SD or USB, do not install r53.

r53 only adds two USB ports support, which is not needed at all. Just plug a single drive (you need a Y-cable anyway, so you can't plug two HDD at the same time. you don't need r53 at all)

Michierusama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
music games, like just dance
and another one I forgot.

Also, ALL emuNAND, so if you want to play Virtual console or WiiWare from SD or USB, do not install r53.

r53 only adds two USB ports support, which is not needed at all. Just plug a single drive (you need a Y-cable anyway, so you can't plug two HDD at the same time. you don't need r53 at all)
That's right. I had issues and changed to ios 250 base 57 for those games and they worked. Just dance 2014 and 2015.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I might update the first post (I got CJB's agreement) to recommend r52 and let users install r53 as an alternate option (v10-ALTernate solution, it's in the name) to use dual port support with properly knowing the issues it creates.
Maybe also edit the charts to add game compatibility in the r53 cons column.

Reactions: Michierusama

Michierusama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might update the first post (I got CJB's agreement) to recommend r52 and let users install r53 as an alternate option (v10-ALTernate solution, it's in the name) to use dual port support with properly knowing the issues it creates.
Maybe also edit the charts to add game compatibility in the r53 cons column.
Thank you. Will do that when I got home.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: iH