Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, screw it. Im all out of options and just checked the compatibility list only to find out this HDD is known for issues. Guess im going back to Best Buy to take advantage of the 30 day return policy and swap out for something better. Thanks anyway, Ill come back to this guide later, hopefully with no future issues.

Yes, definitely utilize your return policy. I would try to find a Toshiba drive of 1TB or less. Those have always served me well. Hope your issues are resolved with a new drive. If not just post again.

Hello my first post here

Just read your comprehensive guide,may i ask a few questions?

Do i need a usb 2.0 hdd or usb 3.0 harddisks are fine? It is hard to find usb 2.0 disks here.

After hacking vWii,will i need Wiiremote or Wii nunchuck to navigate through menus/playing games? I plan to play some fighting games and i never owned a Wii before.I have Wii U standard controller and Wii U pro controller.

Thanks in advance

Basically what owek said. You do need a Wii mote, and I would say a lot of USB3.0 drives won't give an issue, but some will. There is a compatibility list referenced in the FAQ directly from Nintendo I would take a look at.

Reactions: owek1

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
USB3.0 should work fine.
When they first got released, they worked fine (they are actually down-ported to USB2.0 when connected to an USB2.0 plug), so it shouldn't be an issue.
But lately, some newest Western Digital drives (mainly the "element" series*) have drive initiating issues. That's not really related to being USB3.0, it's more an easier way to distinguish old and new drives.
USB3.0 will always be a new one (and are more likely to have that issue), as USB2.0 can be both.

Maybe you can take a look at our wiki, there's a compatibility list.
I don't know how maintained it is, but there's already a lot of drives referenced there.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List

* I said the "Element" series have the detection issue, but some of them are working fine. It's not all these models which are bad.
look at the list, it's easier I guess.

wiiman.au

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having trouble trying to install forwarder channels for usb loaders, can this be done on the vwii as I try to install the wad file and it keeps getting rejected ?

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble trying to install forwarder channels for usb loaders, can this be done on the vwii as I try to install the wad file and it keeps getting rejected ?

It is definitely possible. What forwarder channel are you downloading? The one from my post, or the one from the USB Loader GX post? That's the only ones I would trust. Also, what tool are you using to try and install the forwarder?

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@CJB100
@Cyan

Sorry for late reply, I have been very busy these two weeks (I haven't even played any game). As Cyan explained, it's a "round" screen tearing in the middle of the screen. It doesn't occur when using the game disc. It's quite annoying but it seems to be random, as Cyan wrote, because I just tried the game again using USBLoaderGX and it doesn't happen. Thank you.

Last edited by Waveracer,

wiiman.au

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It is definitely possible. What forwarder channel are you downloading? The one from my post, or the one from the USB Loader GX post? That's the only ones I would trust. Also, what tool are you using to try and install the forwarder?
All good I figured out the forwarder I used was not for the vwii

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reactions: CJB100

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
yes, it's a modified version 4.3.
it's edited to remove the settings menu, some of them are read directly from WiiU settings (network settings, video mode, etc.)
OK, thanks. Also, I do not have any of the retail discs required to do this, and my town is selling Wii backup DVD discs that do not work with the Disc Channel, only with Neogamma. There's a very rare chance in my town that I'll be able to find even a retail Wii disc of SSBB, and I need to softmod my vWii. Will it be possible to do this without a disc soon? :(

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey peeps! Im new here but Im curious if I will have any issues doing the vWii Hacking if Im on FW 5.5.1? Thanks in advance!

Generally speaking, Wii U side of things has no bearing on vWii side of things. You can do these exploits on any Wii U firmware after vWii is available.

OK, thanks. Also, I do not have any of the retail discs required to do this, and my town is selling Wii backup DVD discs that do not work with the Disc Channel, only with Neogamma. There's a very rare chance in my town that I'll be able to find even a retail Wii disc of SSBB, and I need to softmod my vWii. Will it be possible to do this without a disc soon? :(

Prolly not unless the SALT team develops some method to do so on day 1 release of IOSU exploit, which I would assume would be very very unlikely. It would be best, in my opinion, to assume there will never be a way to hack vWii other than with one of the required games. Are you able to buy one from Amazon or eBay?

Reactions: CatmanFan

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
Generally speaking, Wii U side of things has no bearing on vWii side of things. You can do these exploits on any Wii U firmware after vWii is available.

Prolly not unless the SALT team develops some method to do so on day 1 release of IOSU exploit, which I would assume would be very very unlikely. It would be best, in my opinion, to assume there will never be a way to hack vWii other than with one of the required games. Are you able to buy one from Amazon or eBay?
I cannot do checkout on either since I live in Morocco and my family doesn't have an international credit card to pay with. The only time we ever actually bought from Amazon was when my dad bought British English schoolbooks for my educational use.

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's pretty unlikely but, is it possible to hack vWii (latest version) with a 8gb SDcard? Unfortunately, I left my (original) Wii's SDcard at my house and due to living away from home at college , I'm completely unable to get it.

Last edited by Garblant,
Reactions: CatmanFan

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
I know it's pretty unlikely but, is it possible to hack vWii (latest version) with a 8gb SDcard? Unfortunately, I left my (original) Wii's SDcard at my house and due to living away from home at college, I'm completely unable to get it.
This may be off-topic, but how, and why, are you even able to live at college?

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

probably never, no one knows, but it's not just Super Smash Bros Brawl, there are several other options, LEGO Batman The Videogame disc for example, is what i used to run the exploit..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I know it's pretty unlikely but, is it possible to hack vWii (latest version) with a 8gb SDcard? Unfortunately, I left my (original) Wii's SDcard at my house and due to living away from home at college , I'm completely unable to get it.

i hacked my actual Wii (the old one) with 4GB card but with the case of vWii (Virtual Wii on Wii U), you are stuck with either a 2GB SD card (or less) , i personally used a 1GB micro SD plugged to SD adapter that i found in one of my old mobile phones and worked perfectly. After the initial setup tho you may use any capacity SD/micro-SD card formatted to FAT32..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night