Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

charitos89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Will i have any problem if i already have the Wii U hacked with the Sthetix & Loadiine Homebrew Launcher and then install the vWii hack for playing old games via emulators?

ConnerKid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to use the emulators listed as well as Ustealth? I used your links and the emulators are not able to see the hidden USB drive. I looked to see if they were updated to include support and they have not been to my knowledge.

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to use the emulators listed as well as Ustealth? I used your links and the emulators are not able to see the hidden USB drive. I looked to see if they were updated to include support and they have not been to my knowledge.

I believe someone else had that same inquiry a few posts back. Afaik, there are versions of some of the emulators that support UStealth, but honestly, just throw the ROMS on your SD Card, they really aren't hat big. If you don't have room, take your nand and IOS backups and store them in a safe place, then use the room you freed up to store them. The entire NES romset is only a couple hundred MB big. Bout the same for Sega Genesis and GB and GBC and Turbo Grafx 16. Aside from GBA and SNES, you can store the entire libraries of the rest of the emulators in this guide in under a Gigabyte of space.

ConnerKid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe someone else had that same inquiry a few posts back. Afaik, there are versions of some of the emulators that support UStealth, but honestly, just throw the ROMS on your SD Card, they really aren't hat big. If you don't have room, take your nand and IOS backups and store them in a safe place, then use the room you freed up to store them. The entire NES romset is only a couple hundred MB big. Bout the same for Sega Genesis and GB and GBC and Turbo Grafx 16. Aside from GBA and SNES, you can store the entire libraries of the rest of the emulators in this guide in under a Gigabyte of space.
Thank you, didn't know why I didn't think of that.

And I've been trying to install Project M and play it off a backup of Brawl. Is this possible on vWii?

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cyan:

Thank you very much for your kind reply and for being so helpful and such a nice guy. I have not replied before because I had some issues with my computer. I formatted the external HDD and made just one partition (like CJB100 suggested) but that did not solve the problem. I erased USB Loader GX and installed it again and then it worked, so I think that the problem was some settings that were changed automatically or manually since I installed USB Loader GX for the first time until after I had made those tests with GameCube and Wii games. I haven't tried all the games yet but they appear now (I have to check if all of them are there and work). Anyway, the main issue was solved so in case anyone else has the same issues,

Erase USB LOADER GX folder on the SD card (or just RESET settings) and install again from scratch, if some games stopped appearing on USB Loader GX but you know that are there.

You explained very well the issue with Okami, I don't think you should complicate yourself by changing any code *(UNLESS YOU CAN EASILY ADD A "CHANGE NAME" OPTION), I'll just follow the steps to change the name to "Okami", without any special characters, following your instructions, that should work and solve the problem. I'm fine as long as "Okami" appears on screen like that and the alphabetical order is correct.

I tried to use the Wii U pro controller with USB Loader GX and it only works for GameCube games, but not for Wii games, do you know why? Is it possible to use the Wii U pro controller for playing Wii games on USB Loader GX or does it only work for GameCube games?

EDIT: In brackets.

EDIT 2:

@jericho129:

I think you were right, I just realised (I could not read the thread before because I had issues with my computer) that you said it could be the way USB Loader GX install games, I don't know exactly what happened but when I reinstalled USB Loader GX then it worked, so I guess that some settings were altered in a way that games were not found any more, even though they were there. The folders, files and probably partitions were all okay (USB Loader GX detected both partitions). If I had known I would have solved the problem in 2 minutes, just by erasing and reinstalling USB Loader GX on the SD card.

EDIT 3:

Cyan:
I did not know how to use this forum, how do you call somebody here, for example?

Yes you were right, I think the settings were to blame but since I reinstalled USB Loader GX I can't tell you which were wrong. Is it possible to restore default settings? I did not find that option!

About old threads, I found answers to some questions but I did not know if the answers were right at the moment, because those threads were not updated. For instance, disc2.iso.

I will use "spoiler" next time for big texts, sorry!

yes, it's now automatic. it's not due to USBLoaderGX but to the gamecube loader you use.

DM/DML added it later
Devolution has it from the start, but you need to press eject to switch the mounted disc iso
Nintendont added it, it's detected automatically and you don't have anything to do.

When dumping a gamecube game with USBloaderGX, it is detecting if a game already has a dumped disc iso and put the other disc iso in the existing folder, using the correct name.

You can choose any folder name you want manually, as long as it contains the correct [GameID6] at the end.
If you use Wiitdb inside the loader, then the folder's name has no effect in the loader.
you could name your folders only with the TitleID if you want :
/wbfs/[GameID6]/GameID6.wbfs
but in that case, you could even remove the folder:
/wbfs/GameID6.wbfs

it's still best to keep at least one game title as subfolder, as the loader use it as fallback if the game is not in wiitdb or if you don't use that feature.

The issue with Okami is not the game nor the loader, but the font you use.
USBLoaderGX can use either the system font (looks better, it's used by default) or an external font.ttf file (there's one included in the binary, you can use another one with the theme feature).
For some reason, the system font can't display the O with macron, so it skip that letter.
What you can do :
1. use the "user font" instead of "system font" : go to settings > GUI settings > System font : OFF (attention, you might have to change the font size manually)
2. rename Okami inside Wiitdb.xml
3. rename Okami inside USBLoaderGX title cache file. For some reason, I noticed this option is unstable, the renamed title is sometime lost and "kami" comes back.

To rename a game title inside the loader :
- settings>gui>game window : enable "rotated disc" or "banner on banner layout only".
- settings>feature>game title cache : ON
- settings>feature>Force disc title : OFF
- go to list view
- select Okami
- on the "rotating disc" window, click on the game's title and rename it.
- you might have to reload the loader to see the change.

What I can do :
I could add a check for that game and force the O to be renamed to a normal O
but then the wiitdb.xml would be hijacked. Why take care of keeping the correct titles if it's editing them inside the loader?

another solution would be to sort the game with a normal O, but keep it displayed with the correct title. at least, even if you use the compatible font with O macron, you'll have the game sorted with the other games starting with "O" letter.
That's probably the best solution. I don't know how to do it yet.

I will also add an easy way to edit a game title (probably from the game settings) instead of using the rotating disc window.

Last edited by Waveracer,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried to use the Wii U pro controller with USB Loader GX and it only works for GameCube games, but not for Wii games,
The WiiU Pro Controller support is not a patch to make the game work with a new controller!
It's "support added INSIDE the loader".
WUPLib it's a library to allow the use of that controller inside a homebrew (inside USBLoaderGX interface, inside Nintendont, etc.)

Nintendont is always running in the background, as it "interpret" the game and convert the functions to the corresponding Wii function.
USBLoaderGX is not running in the background when you launch a game, so homebrew libraries are not active anymore.

how do you call somebody here, for example?
add a @ in front of a username, it alerts that user, but doesn't always work. specially if you edit your message.

Is it possible to restore default settings? I did not find that option!
Settings>reset settings. (on page 3 or 4)

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The WiiU Pro Controller support is not a patch to make the game work with a new controller!
It's "support added INSIDE the loader".
WUPLib it's a library to allow the use of that controller inside a homebrew (inside USBLoaderGX interface, inside Nintendont, etc.)

Nintendont is always running in the background, as it "interpret" the game and convert the functions to the corresponding Wii function.
USBLoaderGX is not running in the background when you launch a game, so homebrew libraries are not active anymore.

add a @ in front of a username, it alerts that user, but doesn't always work. specially if you edit your message.

Settings>reset settings. (on page 3 or 4)

Can you please explain how do I add WUPLib so I can use Wii U pro controller when playing Wii games on USB Loader GX without messing up? I can't find any thread about WUPLib here and I have no idea.

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, didn't know why I didn't think of that.

And I've been trying to install Project M and play it off a backup of Brawl. Is this possible on vWii?

Never played Project M, so not sure. But I don't see why not, I just don't personally know how to do so, sorry!

@Waveracer, glad you finally got everything up and running! Let us know if you run into anymore issues!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can you please explain how do I add WUPLib so I can use Wii U pro controller when playing Wii games on USB Loader GX without messing up? I can't find any thread about WUPLib here and I have no idea.

WUPLib is a coding library for people who make homebrew, such as myself, Cyan, Fix94, and several other coders here. It is not something an end-user such as yourself can download and make use of. What Cyan is saying, is that Nintendont is always open in the background when you play a gamecube game, and since it has the WUPLib library, it can always detect input from the Wii U Pro Controller and route it as a Gamecube controller input. But you can't use the Wii U Pro Controller with Wii games, because when a Wii game loads, there is no homebrew open in the background to "hear" your Wii U Pro Controller button presses.

Reactions: Waveracer

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never played Project M, so not sure. But I don't see why not, I just don't personally know how to do so, sorry!

@Waveracer, glad you finally got everything up and running! Let us know if you run into anymore issues!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

WUPLib is a coding library for people who make homebrew, such as myself, Cyan, Fix94, and several other coders here. It is not something an end-user such as yourself can download and make use of. What Cyan is saying, is that Nintendont is always open in the background when you play a gamecube game, and since it has the WUPLib library, it can always detect input from the Wii U Pro Controller and route it as a Gamecube controller input. But you can't use the Wii U Pro Controller with Wii games, because when a Wii game loads, there is no homebrew open in the background to "hear" your Wii U Pro Controller button presses.

Okay, now I understand, you are saying that when I use USB Loader GX for playing Wii games it's like I'm using the regular Wii menu of Wii U even though instead of reading discs it is reading the HDD and USB Loader GX is not loading any homebrew software while I'm playing Wii games except for when it launches Nintendont which works in the background continuously, right?

I still haven't received my NGC controller adapter for Wii U, I have read that it works with Nintendont (which sounds great) but would it work with the Wii games? I'm afraid this is not possible either, is it? The only controllers that work with the Wii games on USB Loader GX are the Wii controllers, then? So, only Wii Remote and Wii classic controllers?

Last edited by Waveracer,
Reactions: CJB100

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, now I understand, you are saying that when I use USB Loader GX for playing Wii games it's like I'm using the regular Wii menu of Wii U even though instead of reading discs it is reading the HDD and the Wii menu is not loading any homebrew software while I'm playing Wii games except for when it launches Nintendont which works in the background continuously, right?

I still haven't received my NGC controller adapter for Wii U, I have read that it works with Nintendont (which sounds great) but would it work with the Wii games? I'm afraid this is not possible either, is it? The only controllers that work with the Wii games are the Wii controllers, then? So, only Wii Remote and Wii classic controllers?

You are completely correct. The Gamecube Adapater for Wii U only works on Wii U games, and Nintendont. Now, if you have the a different third party adapter, you can plug a wired Gamecube controller into your Wiimote and use it for games like SSBB where Gamecube controls were natively programmed into the actual retail game. But if a Wii game does not have native support for a Gamecube controller, then it can't use the Gamecube Controller on the Wii U even with that adapter.

Basically, an easy rule of thumb, Gamecube controllers can only be used in Gamecube games, and Wii U games that specifically have been designed for use with the official Nintendo Wii U adapter.

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are completely correct. The Gamecube Adapater for Wii U only works on Wii U games, and Nintendont. Now, if you have the a different third party adapter, you can plug a wired Gamecube controller into your Wiimote and use it for games like SSBB where Gamecube controls were natively programmed into the actual retail game. But if a Wii game does not have native support for a Gamecube controller, then it can't use the Gamecube Controller on the Wii U even with that adapter.

Basically, an easy rule of thumb, Gamecube controllers can only be used in Gamecube games, and Wii U games that specifically have been designed for use with the official Nintendo Wii U adapter.

When playing Wii games, using a third party adapter for connecting a wired GameCube controller is like the GameCube controller is a Wii classic controller. Because the buttons can't be mapped (correct me if I'm wrong) it only makes sense for games that were originally programmed for GameCube controllers (like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii). So it is possible only by attaching the GameCube controller to a Wii Remote but it only makes sense for those games. Is this the thing (currently unavailable)? https://www.amazon.co.uk/CKeyin-Gam...&sr=8-11&keywords=gamecube+adapter+wii+remote

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When playing Wii games, using a third party adapter for connecting a wired GameCube controller is like the GameCube controller is a Wii classic controller. Because the buttons can't be mapped (correct me if I'm wrong) it only makes sense for games that were originally programmed for GameCube controllers (like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii). So it is possible only by attaching the GameCube controller to a Wii Remote but it only makes sense for those games. Is this the thing (currently unavailable)? https://www.amazon.co.uk/CKeyin-Gam...&sr=8-11&keywords=gamecube+adapter+wii+remote

That is one that would work, yes. And yes, you are correct. Technically, this same adapter can let you use a GameCube controller on any game that has classic controller support. It makes the GameCube controller fake being a classic controller. Games will see it as a classic controller even though it isn't one.

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe it does this automatically, but maybe I went and changed my settings to get it to do so. I believe there is some sort of option to do this, yes, but I've clearly forgotten how and I don't have access to my vWii at the moment. I will let you know the settings tomorrow if someone doesn't reply with the answer before then.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
there is a way, but it's not automatic.
You need to install the Forwarder channel (TitleID UNEO)
then, inside the loader setting, search for the "Return to" option and it will list all possible channel you can select to "return to" when exiting a game.
By default a game return to system menu. USBLoaderGX is patching that information to replace the System menu TitleID with another installed channel TitleID.

So, select the forwarder channel, and it will return to the loader when exiting a game or a homebrew.

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is a way, but it's not automatic.
You need to install the Forwarder channel (TitleID UNEO)
then, inside the loader setting, search for the "Return to" option and it will list all possible channel you can select to "return to" when exiting a game.
By default a game return to system menu. USBLoaderGX is patching that information to replace the System menu TitleID with another installed channel TitleID.

So, select the forwarder channel, and it will return to the loader when exiting a game or a homebrew.

Thanks Cyan! Yeah, I remember doing this now. :)

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And I thought it was a stupid question... LOL Thanks, guys. I can't believe I can play Wave Race Blue Storm and all my other GameCube games on Wii U (HDMI) now, plus the unlocked region feature. I can't wait for that NGC controller adapter for Wii U. :)

Reactions: CJB100

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there