Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

jericho129

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What should I set in Hard Drive Settings, USB0, USB1... which Wii U port is 0 and which is 1?

I see the FAT32 partition and I selected it, but should I choose Multiple Partitions OFF or ON? I only want to use the FAT32 partition.

The problem I have now (after erasing and copying the files once again) is that only these games are read:

Eternal Darkness, SSX3 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4.

None of the Wii games show up now and only these three GameCube games appear.

I can't say anything about the multiple partitions - my setup is a single FAT32 partition so I wouldn't know how to treat multiple. Maybe someone else will have better insight into why the USBLoader is not seeing everything on your usb. With my setup, USBLoader shows the folders on my usb drive. If I delete a directory it disappears in USBLoader, if I copy it back to my usb, it shows up again in USBLoader. Is this related to paritions or how the USBLoader installs games? I don't know but I'd love to find out.

Something else to add, in my setup I do not have any of those .dat files (gc.dat and wii.dat) on my usb. I literally only have /games and /wbfs directories, with a bunch of wii games inside the /wbfs directory.

Reactions: CJB100

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
sorry for asking this question again (apart from the new topic I created)
From my Emunand (on my sd card): can I remove all the channels with showmiinand ?
So all the HABA, HACA, HALP (hidden) and so on...
They have no use in the emunand and having them removed makes it just more clear that what remains (installed wads) is emunand.

And can I use -when I am already in ShowmiiNand- add the wiiware wads with that tool or do I need to go through usbloadergx??

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
From my Emunand (on my sd card): can I remove all the channels with showmiinand ?
So all the HABA, HACA, HALP (hidden) and so on...
yes you can. You can even delete them from USBLoaderGX if you use that loader (go to that channel setting and select delete)

You can use ShowMiiWads to add wads to your NAND if you want.

What should I set in Hard Drive Settings, USB0, USB1... which Wii U port is 0 and which is 1?
Use only USB Port0 in the setting, and connect the USB HDD to the top port on the back of the WiiU.
Do not enable multiple partition option, if you don't have multiple partitions.

The problem I have now (after erasing and copying the files once again) is that only these games are read:

Eternal Darkness, SSX3 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4.

None of the Wii games show up now and only these three GameCube games appear.

then it's probably an issue with your own settings.
either categories, or favorites, or parental control, etc.
did you try to reset the loader settings?

Oh, and you could have added spoiler tags around ALL your big post.
Also, you quoted old threads which already had answers. you should verify before posting a message that you only write what you want to.

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Waveracer, Hate to say it but you keep moving ahead of the curve. Format the entire drive per the Bootice instructions in the guide, recopy everything over. Then tell us what appears and what doesn't. If we can't get a single MBR FAT32 partition working for you first, there is basically no chance of getting a multiple partition drive working. Also, Nintendont doesn't require any specific folders on the SD.

Last edited by CJB100,

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Starting wiiware games from usbloadergx on a by usbloader generated emunand always fall back to the Wii channels- menu.

Doing the same on my old Wii, it Just works fine.

The emunand is on a sd card so no usb drive prob.
I use the alt v53 cios (as suggested on first Page)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Starting wiiware games from usbloadergx on a by usbloader generated emunand always fall back to the Wii channels- menu.

Doing the same on my old Wii, it Just works fine.

The emunand is on a sd card so no usb drive prob.
I use the alt r53 cios (as suggested on first Page)
Try d2x v10 r52 (non alt version).
I told CJB that r53 had issues with emuNAND, and that r53 doesn't add that much features, but he still think nobody use emuNAND because he doesn't :P

Also, if your HDD is hidden (using Ustealth) that's probably why it reboots to system menu : the EmuNAND path couldn't be found.
Only r52 is compatible with EmuNAND on hidden drives, but not the original r52, there is a modified version of r52.

So :
1. disable UStealth HDD
2. if still not working, try v10 r52

If you want Ustealth with emuNAND, install r52mod (I can provide a link later)

Reactions: CJB100

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
well, at least you gave the choice and explained the differences. Up to the users to understand that choosing r53 can create issues with emuNAND and they could try r52 to see if it helps.
Sometime they just need a little hint where to look

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I will try the other cios this evening.

However: my emunand is on my SD and as I understood the issues with r53 were with HDD .... so -naive as I am- I thought r53 with sd was okay.
No problem.
One final 'thought' aka question: this way of using emunand is really not protecting the vwii isn't it? Something like banner brick will still corrupt your vwii or will it still only corrupt the filesystem in the emunand?

btw: The guide on page 1 is great. I softmodded my WII the 'hard way' when no modmii was available. With this guide: if you can read, you can do it.....

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, you may be right that r53 issue should only affect HDD compatibility (as it's how it was announced on d2x website).
But if you can, please test r52 and let us know. Maybe it's not an issue with the drive but really with emuNAND itself.

Both EmuNAND mode (cIOS and neek) only affect the EmuNAND path.
installed Wad, channels, animated banners, savegame, etc. are only located on the SD or USB, not on your console.

• The neek more is a full mode. everything is run from the redirected path (system menu, all NAND files or folders, etc.)
• The cIOS mode is a mixed mode. The console is still running on its real hardware, and the cIOS acts as a bridge to redirect NAND file access one by one.
There are two "submode" to the cIOS EmuNAND :
○ Partial : Some files are still accessed on the real NAND (mii, settings, wiimote sync info, etc.), only the /title/ folder is redirected. It contains the savegame.
○ Full : everything is (supposedly) redirected, including Miis, settings, wiimote synch, network settings, etc. but Some games don't work so some "unwanted" NAND access is probably still happening and only the Neek mode can fix these games.

When you play a channel from cIOS EmuNAND, always use the FULL mode.
The Partial mode is only useful for Wii disc games (to redirect only the savegame to SD or USB)

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I installed r52 and i tried three wiiware games.
All three worked fine... So i guess that even on r53 there are issues also with emunand on sd.

Now with r52 the Wii and ngc games are happily on a stealth hdd, emunand on sd for some wiiware stuff and some emulators for old school.

Thanks for all info

Reactions: CJB100 and Cyan

LionKing2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great Guide. I am new and been reading with mix things so I have few questions if anybody can help. Which Firmware can this guide be used on? I have 5.4.0 right now. Or I have to use web based like 5.51. Thanks in advance.

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great Guide. I am new and been reading with mix things so I have few questions if anybody can help. Which Firmware can this guide be used on? I have 5.4.0 right now. Or I have to use web based like 5.51. Thanks in advance.

To hack the virtual Wii mode, you only have to be on a firmware that has the Wii System Menu. I think it's different story if you are trying to hack the Wii U.

Aussielad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What was the name of the software that makes your drive invisible, to bypass the format external usb drive message during boot up. Cheers

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What was the name of the software that makes your drive invisible, to bypass the format external usb drive message during boot up. Cheers
Never mind, I found it... I must have been blind

LionKing2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I want to able to backup my games on the harddrive and play them off the harddrive. Is that possible with 5.4.0 or 5.3.2 is the only one.

To hack the virtual Wii mode, you only have to be on a firmware that has the Wii System Menu. I think it's different story if you are trying to hack the Wii U.

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ummmmmm...

Lol in all seriousness, the firmware has 0 relevance to the Wii side of things. If it's in my guide, it's doable regardless of firmware. And USB is not available for loading Wii U games off of as far as the Wii U side goes.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Which Firmware can this guide be used on?
A more direct answer :
WiiU version : 2.0 and above (you need the vWii mode). ALL the WiiU version are working fine to hack the vWii. You can even update the WiiU after hacking the vWii and will not lose the hack.
vWii version : there's only one System menu version (4.3X), but there were 2 or 3 vWii individual IOS updates. the hacking guide works on all IOS version too. if you still have an old vWii IOS it will work, you can update the vWii (by updating the WiiU) and it will not affect your vWii hack.

Short answer : whatever your version, it works fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1