Hacking The Definitive Guide to Wii U Hacking

Rodrigo Mafra

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am completely new to WII U Hacking. I have hacked the WII in the past and Xbox 360. My question/concern is this.
I am wanting to buy and mod a WII U so that my son can play WII U Backups. Loadline seems awesome, my only concern is the fact that he is only 6 and will not understand to go to the browser each time, clear his cookies, etc. Is there a simpler method that I have missed that he may be able to get to his game backups more easily?
I apologize in advance if this has been answered, I've read through pages and pages of questions and responses, as well as the OP.

The only way is through the browser

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am completely new to WII U Hacking. I have hacked the WII in the past and Xbox 360. My question/concern is this.
I am wanting to buy and mod a WII U so that my son can play WII U Backups. Loadline seems awesome, my only concern is the fact that he is only 6 and will not understand to go to the browser each time, clear his cookies, etc. Is there a simpler method that I have missed that he may be able to get to his game backups more easily?
I apologize in advance if this has been answered, I've read through pages and pages of questions and responses, as well as the OP.
For now, going through the Internet Browser is required, since that's where the vulnerability lies (in the Webkit). I've actually never cleared my cookies since getting Loadiine GX2 set up; it's really only suggested if you're having issues.

Is there any alternatives to http://loadiine.ovh that has a nicer layout\gui?

I thought I recall seeing a WiiUbrew site in the past?
http://www.wiiubru.com

Effi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Hi guys,

I'm trying to load Loadiine GX2 on my 5.5.1 WiiU for the first time, using :http://www.wiiubru.com and it stuck every time I try, pleae advise :(

Edit: I tried to load it using loadiine.ovh, it worked but only after using the last nightly builds, still can't get it to work on wiiubru.com, I tried to clean Cookies, it didn't help.

I followed OP step by step, am I missing something?

Last edited by Effi,

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pasted "cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net" into the KLOTH.NET site to test if my Router is successfully blocking the Wii U updates, this is what came up:

DNS server handling your query: localhost
DNS server's address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net canonical name = star.cdn.nintendo.net.edgekey.net.
star.cdn.nintendo.net.edgekey.net canonical name = e10534.g.akamaiedge.net.
Name: e10534.g.akamaiedge.net
Address: 23.74.197.66

From what I read in this thread, it seems that comes up if Router is NOT blocking updates, yet I still see the Red "X" on the Download icon on the Wii U Menu Screen... Not sure if Router is blocking updates... Any help/thoughts on this appreciated :)

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pasted "cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net" into the KLOTH.NET site to test if my Router is successfully blocking the Wii U updates, this is what came up:

DNS server handling your query: localhost
DNS server's address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net canonical name = star.cdn.nintendo.net.edgekey.net.
star.cdn.nintendo.net.edgekey.net canonical name = e10534.g.akamaiedge.net.
Name: e10534.g.akamaiedge.net
Address: 23.74.197.66

From what I read in this thread, it seems that comes up if Router is NOT blocking updates, yet I still see the Red "X" on the Download icon on the Wii U Menu Screen... Not sure if Router is blocking updates... Any help/thoughts on this appreciated :)
Do you have a DNS like Tubehax enabled? Try accessing the eShop and see if you're able to load it.

ZackHolmes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
i feel like a total noob asking this, but is there a step by step guide anywhere? I cant seem to figure out the overall thing that im doing. I've hacked my wii and 360, so im fairly familiar, but im getting stuck. It seems like from reading the guide, that 1, i need to block nintendo with tubehax, done. 2, go to wiiubru.com and install software. is that it?? cuz it isnt working. i got to wiiubru.com and sometimes it says "autodetecting firmware 5.5.1" and loads to a white screen, other times it loads to a black video player. I tried hosting my own but i get a server error 500. where does the SD card come in? do i need the files on my sd card while connecting to wiiubru.com? then i was looking at the loadliine section and it talked about smash bros? but i didnt see that mentioned anywhere else? what are the basic steps to load homebrew channel and loadliine? i cant believe i can't figure it out..

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i feel like a total noob asking this, but is there a step by step guide anywhere? I cant seem to figure out the overall thing that im doing. I've hacked my wii and 360, so im fairly familiar, but im getting stuck. It seems like from reading the guide, that 1, i need to block nintendo with tubehax, done. 2, go to wiiubru.com and install software. is that it?? cuz it isnt working. i got to wiiubru.com and sometimes it says "autodetecting firmware 5.5.1" and loads to a white screen, other times it loads to a black video player. I tried hosting my own but i get a server error 500. where does the SD card come in? do i need the files on my sd card while connecting to wiiubru.com? then i was looking at the loadliine section and it talked about smash bros? but i didnt see that mentioned anywhere else? what are the basic steps to load homebrew channel and loadliine? i cant believe i can't figure it out..
On your SD card, you should have the files for HBL and GX2, then insert the SD before you boot your WiiU. Then perform the exploit through the browser. No need to self host. I've found loadiine.ovh to work very well, try that.

As for the Smash thing, some games can work with higher compatibility if you boot into Loadiine using a retail game disc (I think digital might work too).

Normally, Loadiine works through Mii Maker, but you can change the mode in the settings.

Last edited by 7Robins,
Reactions: fiveighteen

Sooperfly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there.

I purchased a launch day WiiU back when it first came out, and it has been sitting here on my shelf waiting for homebrew like this to surface.

I was on 2.0.0 and updated it to 3.1.0 as that is the oldest recommended Firmware as per the original post.

I have purchased discs with 4.0.0 and 5.3.2 as well. From what I understand I can also go up to 5.5.1 using the Online WiiU Update and still be able to run Homebrew.

I am an advanced user so the instructions are pretty simple to me, but just want some advice on which firmware I should use.

Since I am so low on Firmware Version, and have the option to go up to whichever one works best, which one do you guys think I should be on to have the most versatility and compatibility including Loadiine?

Thanks again for your stellar tutorials and much respect to the Wii Homebrew Community.

ZackHolmes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
On your SD card, you should have the files for HBL and GX2, then insert the SD before you boot your WiiU. Then perform the exploit through the browser. No need to self host. I've found loadiine.ovh to work very well, try that.

As for the Smash thing, some games can work with higher compatibility if you boot into Loadiine using a retail game disc (I think digital might work too).

Normally, Loadiine works through Mii Maker, but you can change the mode in the settings.

got it! worth mentioning i was trying to go to loadLiine.ovh instead of the proper url............so theres that. but up and running now with the proper url. thanks!

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got it! worth mentioning i was trying to go to loadLiine.ovh instead of the proper url............so theres that. but up and running now with the proper url. thanks!
No problem, glad you got it working. I'm new to this stuff as well, but thanks to @Cyan and everyone who's worked in the hacking community, it's relatively easy. :D

Hello there.

I purchased a launch day WiiU back when it first came out, and it has been sitting here on my shelf waiting for homebrew like this to surface.

I was on 2.0.0 and updated it to 3.1.0 as that is the oldest recommended Firmware as per the original post.

I have purchased discs with 4.0.0 and 5.3.2 as well. From what I understand I can also go up to 5.5.1 using the Online WiiU Update and still be able to run Homebrew.

I am an advanced user so the instructions are pretty simple to me, but just want some advice on which firmware I should use.

Since I am so low on Firmware Version, and have the option to go up to whichever one works best, which one do you guys think I should be on to have the most versatility and compatibility including Loadiine?

Thanks again for your stellar tutorials and much respect to the Wii Homebrew Community.
From what I understand, Loadiine was harder to get working on 5.3.2. GX2 loads nearly everytime for me (I'm on 5.5.1).

Someone else should input though, I'd hate for you to update and miss some opportunity considering how golden yours is.

Last edited by 7Robins,

Sooperfly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Robins.

I have have the Origial XBOX, XBOX 360, Original Wii, and PS3 all modded to run Hombrew. I also have a launch day XBOX One in the box waiting for that special day as well. I know how important it is to keep firmware as low as possible in case something can be exploited.

I am willing to let it sit for a while more with this one as well if it is worth the wait.

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Robins.

I have have the Origial XBOX, XBOX 360, Original Wii, and PS3 all modded to run Hombrew. I also have a launch day XBOX One in the box waiting for that special day as well. I know how important it is to keep firmware as low as possible in case something can be exploited.

I am willing to let it sit for a while more with this one as well if it is worth the wait.
Very smart of you. This was stated in the guide:
If you're under 3.0.0, update to 3.0.0.
If you're on 3.0.0, stay there.
If you're on 3.0.1, update to 3.1.0.
If you're on 3.1.0, stay there.
If you're on 4.0.0, stay there.
If you're between 4.0.0 and 4.1.0, update to 4.1.0.
If you're on 4.1.0, stay there.
If you're on 5.0.0, stay there.
If you're on 5.1.0, stay there.
If you're between 5.1.0 and 5.3.2, update to 5.3.2.
If you're on 5.3.2, stay there.
If you're on 5.4.0, stay there.
If you're on 5.5.0, update to 5.5.1.
If you're on 5.5.1, stay there.

@Cyan also stated that "Each version works, but they have different memory access and free memory region.
5.3.2 has better compatibility if you want loadiine, due to more memory."

Reactions: Sooperfly

Sooperfly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would have gone from 2.0.0 to 3.0.0, but could not find any discs on the list that had 3.0.0, and only 3.0.1, so I opted to go to 3.1.0 as that was the next recommended one according to @Cyan

My guess is that 3.0.0 was an Online Only update through the WiiU itself.

I think I will stay at 3.1.0 and play around with it, until it's a little clearer what the future holds on higher firmwares.

Reactions: 7Robins

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is that 3.0.0 was an Online Only update through the WiiU itself.

I think I will stay at 3.1.0 and play around with it, until it's a little clearer what the future holds on higher firmwares.
I think you're correct.

Staying on 3.1.0 would be your smartest choice. The lower your are, the more opportunities may exist for IOSU vulnerabilities.

Reactions: Sooperfly

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are forgetting that, while Nintendo fixed the vector limit checking for the bug, they also implemented a syscall that allows you to increase the maximum number of vectors, essentially allowing us to re-implement the bug.

And if that still doesn't work, remember that @smealum posted a video showcasing a boot-time IOSU exploit, allowing emuNAND and CFW. He has since abandoned the project, though.

Why am I not surprised that he abandoned it?

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why am I not surprised that he abandoned it?
I can understand it. He found a lead, followed it, cracked in and made a POC, but maybe hit a snag or was just completely uninterested in making an interface or coding tons of conditional checks to make sure the thousands of people using it won't brick (because if they did, guess who they'd blame), or maybe a bunch of real life stuff all once. But he's now shown it's possible and those interested can take it from there. He did at least release iosuhax.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can understand it. He found a lead, followed it, cracked in and made a POC, but maybe hit a snag or was just completely uninterested in making an interface or coding tons of conditional checks to make sure the thousands of people using it won't brick (because if they did, guess who they'd blame), or maybe a bunch of real life stuff all once. But he's now shown it's possible and those interested can take it from there. He did at least release iosuhax.

Not exactly user friendly for the programming impaired such as myself, oh well, nothing much going on in the scene either -_-

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not exactly user friendly for the programming impaired such as myself, oh well, nothing much going on in the scene either -_-
No, it's definitely not for you or even for me. More for getting the higher level devs in the right direction.

He laid the foundation and now others must put up the walls and roof before the public can move in and furnish the place.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning