Gaming the cracked hinges ?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, my first DSlite bought around 1st July developed the crack after about 1.5 months. I sent it back to Nintendo and they sent me a replacement with a horrible stuck/superbright pixel problem. I sent that one back, and they sent me another replacement. 1.5 months later, I discover the hinge crack on this one, in exactly the same place. I am debating with myself over whether to send this one in or just give up. Every time you send one in for a replacement its like rolling dice.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the answer is NO.

edit: BTW, when I called Nintendo about this problem with my first DSL, they told me it was only happening .1% (that's one-tenth of one percent) of the time. Since it's happened to me twice, I'm the unluckiest bastard in the world and the odds of this happening to anyone else are one-in-a-miliion, so don't worry about it.
tongue.gif

Mican

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Althought I have finished the Skye scenario in the "Lost in Blue" and closed my white DSL thousand times, it is still fine.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't think it has anything to do with how you use it (excluding genuine abuse) ... it boils down to the plastic being too brittle and some of the hinges being torqued too tight during assembly.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got the light blue DS lite and mine was fine for about 3 months, then started to get a hairline crack on the right hinge, and now im getting another one next to it. My Lite has never been dropped, mishandled or anything

jokeyrhyme

Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a white DS Lite when they first came out here in Australia. I think that was May or June. Anyhow, in November I noticed a few cracks that had suddenly appeared on the hinges.

So I sent it back to Nintendo to get fixed and they returned it to me free of charge, and free of ugly cracks. Unfortunately, the procedure for replacing the plastic on the hinge requires them to dismantle the top half of the unit. So those four square plugs near the top screen now have tiny dents in them, where the technician removed them to get to the screws.

Now, I personally prefer it this way, but if you think looking at bent plugs will distract you from playing way more than cracks in the hinge (that you can't see at all while playing) then I'd advise against sending it in.

I don't mean to comment negatively about Nintendo, their products, or their technicians. I was impressed at the turn around (a little over a week) and the fact that they fixed it for free, but there is a compromise that may be important to some people.

lexus-8

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
everyone who replied and says there ds lite is fine. inspect it. because my friend thought his was fine but when you look closely you can see a hair line crack !

just a warning !

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Same here. White DS Lite purchased at launch in June. Handled this thing like a baby. Looked real close at the left hinge but didn't see anything developing until October - then I saw the tiniest hairline crack - then about a week later it was a clean break all the way across. I agree with the other people - repeated stress from opening/closing the unit on a hinge that is tightened up too much. It doesn't bother me enough to have it replaced unless I would get a brand new unit in a different color - which I don't think Nintendo will offer.

insanezer0x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone tell me with experience if nintendo gives u a new ds or your old one back when you send it?

i have the packaging right now from them and thinking about it

lurker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I sent mine off to be repaired, only to have it come 1 month later with another crack.

My friend was lucky and was able to swap it at the store he bought it from.

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i have a cracked hinge on mine. i have a best buy replacement plan on it, but haven't swapped it out as i don't want to pay for another replacement plan until a long time from now... the crack doesn't bother me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shame it wasn't Facebook that paused them
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Fucking lame. Thread viewed 1000 times and only one reply that doesnt even answer what I asked.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.
    I mean. All I ask was for people to see if ONE, SINGLE website is working properly in edge. 1000 people see it but cant be bothered at all
    Ready to just leave this place anyway. The amount of shit talking and bullying behavior that goes unchecked is crazy. No where else do I see this shit towards me and others. Not even on reddit have I been talked to like I have here by other members
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I did read the last sentence in your post by the way. Maybe try changing the privacy settings in your browser to standard if that works.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I've also heard that Chromium-based browsers will stop working with ad-blockers.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Please dont go we need you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I really learned not to give a fuck what others do online it's helped ease my mind try it sometime.
    @SylverReZ That reply to you was when we werent on good terms. lol. I tried everything. Changing privacy settings etc.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Fuck Chromium. Firefox 4evar.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    (Firefox 4 now, anyway. Let's see if they pull some crap too.)
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Netscape ftw
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Funny enough went to download chrome Bing gave error installed Firefox fine
    +1
    Thing is , the videos work fine in the Edge Dev and Canary builds. But whatever the fix they made was, has never been pushed to Beta or Stable builds. Its been that way for as far back as I tested. Which was Edge 84. They are on 125 now.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Yeah, and I was in quite a mood at that time. I would consider choosing Firefox or Opera instead, been using Firefox for over 7 years now than Chrome.
    Tried contacting Nintendo to see if they can reach out to MS about it. But Nintendo said the videos are working fine. Without enough people saying no, they don't work fine, it will never get fixed.
    I have Firefox and used it for many years. But Edge runs noticible faster on my pc at both opening and loading pages.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I don't think Nintendo will know anything about troubleshooting Edge. They mostly do technical support regarding their console family.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell them you downloaded their trailer without permission
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Good one, Ken.
    Right. But they could create a ticket that gets forwarded to the proper team. I think Nintendo would care that their videos aren't working on a major borwser.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Right. But they could create a ticket that gets forwarded to the proper team. I think Nintendo...