Hacking The Concept of the Vita's CFW vs the PS3's , are they similar ?

Radwan126

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
i started a lot of threads like this one here but all i got was hate for some unknown reason .
i am free to suggest anything i want , a suggestion from here and another one from there might give us some kind of a clue right ? suggestions are important .
i have an idea and a question at the same time , so please hear me out .

(NOTE ! IF YOU WANT TO POST HATE COMMENTS THEN PLEASE DON'T DO IT HERE , I STARTED THIS THREAD TO DISCUSS SOME IDEAS , EVEN IF THEY WERE STUPID , GIVE ME YOUR OPINION , PEOPLE USED TO THINK TOUCH SCREENS WERE IMPOSSIBLE IN THE 90s AND LOOK AT THEM NOW , NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE AND I HOPE THIS THREAD DOESN'T GET LOCKED LIKE THE PREVIOUS ONE)
Any way let me start :
so i am wondering , how did the PS3 CFW come to exist ? what's the concept of it ? i mean the PSP patches some files on the system and that's it , but the PS3 requires the whole patched .PUP file to install the CFW so something was modified inside it , anyone knows how they did it ?
i used PUP Extractor to see the differences between a PS3's CFW and OFW , the only thing i saw different was some codes and such , but i didn't dig deeper inside it .
--------------------
Next :
can we do the same with the Vita's .PUP file ?
i know the Vita is a lot more secure than the PS3 but isn't it possible somehow ? did any one try to make a tool that extracts the Vita's PUP file ? i tried to extract it using multiple tools but none of them worked .
if it was extracted , maybe a pro hacker/programmer could modify it somehow , any one tried to ask PS3 hackers about it ?
is there any chance to do it ?
--------------
I would love to hear some suggestions/concepts from you guys too

Thanks in advance
Rad

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
as far as i know (which isnt much) it all started with a screw up from sony, they send back an service dongle.

Gazra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i started a lot of threads like this one here but all i got was hate for some unknown reason .
i am free to suggest anything i want , a suggestion from here and another one from there might give us some kind of a clue right ? suggestions are important .
i have an idea and a question at the same time , so please hear me out .

(NOTE ! IF YOU WANT TO POST HATE COMMENTS THEN PLEASE DON'T DO IT HERE , I STARTED THIS THREAD TO DISCUSS SOME IDEAS , EVEN IF THEY WERE STUPID , GIVE ME YOUR OPINION , PEOPLE USED TO THINK TOUCH SCREENS WERE IMPOSSIBLE IN THE 90s AND LOOK AT THEM NOW , NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE AND I HOPE THIS THREAD DOESN'T GET LOCKED LIKE THE PREVIOUS ONE)
Any way let me start :
so i am wondering , how did the PS3 CFW come to exist ? what's the concept of it ? i mean the PSP patches some files on the system and that's it , but the PS3 requires the whole patched .PUP file to install the CFW so something was modified inside it , anyone knows how they did it ?
i used PUP Extractor to see the differences between a PS3's CFW and OFW , the only thing i saw different was some codes and such , but i didn't dig deeper inside it .
--------------------
Next :
can we do the same with the Vita's .PUP file ?
i know the Vita is a lot more secure than the PS3 but isn't it possible somehow ? did any one try to make a tool that extracts the Vita's PUP file ? i tried to extract it using multiple tools but none of them worked .
if it was extracted , maybe a pro hacker/programmer could modify it somehow , any one tried to ask PS3 hackers about it ?
is there any chance to do it ?
--------------
I would love to hear some suggestions/concepts from you guys too

Thanks in advance
Rad

The PS3 CFW started because Sony made a mistake in there security.

Basically they kept using the same key from the beginning until the keys were published then they had to revamp there security system basically changing the keys with every update.

So to answer your question no the same thing cannot be done with vita PUP files firstly because there is no way to extract them as far as I no and even if there was a way to extract them then there is no way for anyone to get the keys which are used to sign it.

Basically in a nut shell the keys are what hold it all together and without them we have no luck.

Reactions: Radwan126

Radwan126

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
The PS3 CFW started because Sony made a mistake in there security.

Basically they kept using the same key from the beginning until the keys were published then they had to revamp there security system basically changing the keys with every update.

So to answer your question no the same thing cannot be done with vita PUP files firstly because there is no way to extract them as far as I no and even if there was a way to extract them then there is no way for anyone to get the keys which are used to sign it.

Basically in a nut shell the keys are what hold it all together and without them we have no luck.

i really liked your post , thanks a lot for answering my questions !
as for the ps3 , i remember yifan lu said something similar , that once you get the hang of the early updates , you can patch all the new updates because you have access to them.

its sad that the same cannot be applied to the vita , but i hope someday something similar happens to the vita as well .

thanks again !

Gazra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i really liked your post , thanks a lot for answering my questions !
as for the ps3 , i remember yifan lu said something similar , that once you get the hang of the early updates , you can patch all the new updates because you have access to them.

its sad that the same cannot be applied to the vita , but i hope someday something similar happens to the vita as well .

thanks again !

Not a problem I just registered to mention what I did above however if you would like to know where the first PS3 CFW came from here is a few links that may be able to provide a little more information as it was these guys that found the fail.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/29/hackers-obtain-ps3-private-cryptography-key-due-to-epic-programm/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-security-in-tatters

The videos were interesting to watch to say the least.

But with the Vita there may be hope now that Rejuvenate has been released. We may see people delving into the Vita's file system and seeing what lies around.

There may be away to get something from it with a CFW PS3 and using the rejuvinate hack on the vita. Only time will tell.

Last edited by Gazra,

Radwan126

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
There may be away to get something from it with a CFW PS3 and using the rejuvinate hack on the vita. Only time will tell.
that was a really good idea , i wonder if it's possible though ...
like using the ps3's cfw as an advantage to reach the vita's core files
i wonder if anyone tried it before

thanks for the links btw :D

Gazra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
that was a really good idea , i wonder if it's possible though ...
like using the ps3's cfw as an advantage to reach the vita's core files
i wonder if anyone tried it before

thanks for the links btw :D

I believe someone will probably try it to be honest if not they may have already tried it.

Your welcome for the links.

The future of the Vita scene is unknow in my opinion it's just a waiting game for talented people to take a look and see what they can find. Honestly this is the time I wish I knew more about things like looking for flaws and creating exploits.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe someone will probably try it to be honest if not they may have already tried it.

Your welcome for the links.

The future of the Vita scene is unknow in my opinion it's just a waiting game for talented people to take a look and see what they can find. Honestly this is the time I wish I knew more about things like looking for flaws and creating exploits.
I'm sure one of the first things hackers (crackers) did was use the security holes already known to them from the PS3 and other devices to try and hack (crack) the Vita. Obviously, Sony isn't that stupid and made sure their security was much tighter this time around.

Radwan126

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Honestly this is the time I wish I knew more about things like looking for flaws and creating exploits.
same here , i even started taking programming lessons but got bored eventually

I'm sure one of the first things hackers (crackers) did was use the security holes already known to them from the PS3 and other devices to try and hack (crack) the Vita. Obviously, Sony isn't that stupid and made sure their security was much tighter this time around.

yeah probably , hackers will find something eventually , i am sure of it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning