The Chromebook / Chromebox Thread

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could say the same about Apple but to me a OS is just as much about the philosophy. The same is true with game consoles. I want a OS dedicated to the dsktop, not a mobile OS edited to work on a desktop.
You're speaking as if there is a large distinction between the two. There really isn't anymore. Android uses the same kernel as every other Linux distribution. Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox all run on the same kernel now.
Exactly and lets be blunt, Android x86 kinda sucks. There are plenty of good apps that just wont run on it.
Not really. I have a Dell Venue 8, which is Android on an Intel Atom. I haven't encountered any issues with any apps. In fact, that's kind of the point of a Java Virtual Machine. Further, it's not like there aren't any ARM Chromebooks....
From experience Windows 8 works fantastic on tablets bar a couple of issues. I recently went to Win 10 on my tablet (tech savvy only, bring an otg for emergencies) and all those problems are gone, yay! The system maintenance was a little off in win 8.
They said they were going to do an overhaul of Windows update, which is long overdue. What improvements have you noticed?

Also, staying on topic, I have an Asus Chromebox - the one with the Intel Celeron processor. I've actually converted it into a OpenELEC HTPC. Running great so far!

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I'm going to buy a chromebook soon, a Toshiba Chromebook 2 but the problem is that in the UK none to be found.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question to those who have Chromebooks.
How are they in terms of programming? Do they have any IDEs like in Windows or do you have to compile your stuff kinda like in Linux? Or are they purely cloud-based without any kind of local applications?
I'm asking this, because I'll be going to uni next year and my current laptop (Lenovo Y580) is both very bulky and starting to feel outdated, so I might need a replacement by that time. My only other potential choice would be a cheap Windows 8 tablet.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From Google

TUESDAY, MARCH 17, 2015

Beta Channel Update for Chrome OS
The Beta channel has been updated to 42.0.2311.41 (Platform version: 6812.34.0) for all Chrome OS devices except Pixel, Acer Chromebox CXI, LG Chromebase, Asus Chromebox, Dell Chromebox, HP Chromebox, HP Chromebook 14, Toshiba Chromebook, Acer C720, Dell Chromebook 11. This build contains a number of bug fixes, security updates and feature enhancements. Systems will be receiving updates over the next several days.

Some highlights of these changes are:
The ability to pin your favorite apps to their shelf
Files app has implemented Material Design
Support for password-protected zip files
Updated calculator app

If you find new issues, please let us know by visiting our forum or filing a bug. Interested in switching channels? Find out how. You can submit feedback using ‘Report an issue...’ in the Chrome menu (3 horizontal bars in the upper right corner of the browser).

Matthew Yuan

Google ChromeSucks that my ASUS Chromebox will not be updated today :P

BTW, Anyone having issues with torrents in Chrome OS? JS Torrent is a pain in the ass.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot happened in the world of Chrome OS today! First, let me introduce you to the Chromebit, a new, $99.99 Chrome OS PC on a stick!

Group_Asus_Chromestick_V1-1_1000-750x472.png

The OMG! Chrome article can be found here: http://www.omgchrome.com/chromebit-a-99-chrome-pc-the-size-of-a-chromecast/

Next up are a pair of Chromebooks that are being sold for $149.99

The Hisense model:
hisense-chromebook-2-750x563.jpeg

The Haer model:
wjewbx.jpg

Both feature
  • Rockchip RK3288 Quadcore processor @ 1.8 GHz
  • 2GB RAM
  • 16GB eMMC Flash Storage
  • Bluetooth, Micro SD slot & 1.3mp camera
The Hisense model has 8 hours of battery life and goes for a sleeker design while the Haer model features 10 hours of battery life.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
so i brought the chromebook and typing this in the chromebook... YAY!

any chrome extensions or apps i should be aware of?

Reactions: BORTZ

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the limited resources the chrome devices have, you're better off dualbooting. I found that out the hard way. Even though chromeOS is superlighhtweight, when chromeOs and ubuntu are running on top of eachother it really bogs things down...

Reactions: Flame

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
With the limited resources the chrome devices have, you're better off dualbooting. I found that out the hard way. Even though chromeOS is superlighhtweight, when chromeOs and ubuntu are running on top of eachother it really bogs things down...

how does it work?

will i lose the update feature of a chromebook? will i need to install dual boot every time?

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm honest;ly not 100 % sure as I haven't set up dual boot myself yet, but I would imagine it would set up two completely seperate partitions like one normally would on anyother pc. If everything is completely seperate, ChromeOS should still update np. I strongly suggest doing some research before diving right in howeveer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm honest;ly not 100 % sure as I haven't set up dual boot myself yet, but I would imagine it would set up two completely seperate partitions like one normally would on anyother pc. If everything is completely seperate, ChromeOS should still update np. I strongly suggest doing some research before diving right in howeveer

I once did a dual boot or sorts, Chrome OS and Ubuntu, of course, there is a 64-bit optimized version of Ubuntu for Chromebooks, I can't seem to remember the name of it off the top of my head, and is a somewhat tedious process.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i brought the chromebook and typing this in the chromebook... YAY!

any chrome extensions or apps i should be aware of?

Grab yourself a copy of JS Torrent. Sadly it's the only decent torrent client for Chrome OS. Just DONT pay for it. It's not worth the three dollars, the developers have yet to add any improvements and are basically resting on their laurels because they're the "only game in town".

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Grab yourself a copy of JS Torrent. Sadly it's the only decent torrent client for Chrome OS. Just DONT pay for it. It's not worth the three dollars, the developers have yet to add any improvements and are basically resting on their laurels because they're the "only game in town".

But what can you do with torrents on a limited OS like Chrome? You can't really even run any real .exes on there. Chromebooks don't have much space for big files though, right?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what can you do with torrents on a limited OS like Chrome? You can't really even run any real .exes on there. Chromebooks don't have much space for big files though, right?

I have an external hard drive connected to my Chromebox. It's just as limited for space as any game console would be. That means if you have a big HDD, use it. Also, torrents aren't just for programs, you can still get TV shows, movies and music that way as well. Not to mention if you into Wii modding, you can still get your "necessary files" via torrents and transfer to your "WBFS" drive (provided that drive isn't formatted to WBFS lol). With all of that said, JS Torrent is good for the occasional "one off" file. If you want a whole TV season or more then 3 simultaneous torrents, you might have to grab a buddy's Window's computer. I really hope the uTorrent team will port the Android version soon.

Reactions: the_randomizer

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am actually using a heavily modified Acer C7 Chromebook. Chrome OS was pretty awesome when I used it, but I bought my chromebook for the use of hacking it and having a project. Now it has a 320GB HDD, 4GB DD3 RAM, and the Bios were flashed with the SeaBIOS, which I have Chakra OS installed on.

Reactions: the_randomizer

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am actually using a heavily modified Acer C7 Chromebook. Chrome OS was pretty awesome when I used it, but I bought my chromebook for the use of hacking it and having a project. Now it has a 320GB HDD, 4GB DD3 RAM, and the Bios were flashed with the SeaBIOS, which I have Chakra OS installed on.

So many people buying Chrome computers and turning them into machines with other operating systems :P "Bad Crystal, bad bad Crystal!" -Just kidding. If prices of the ASUS Chromebox drop again (they were sub $150 two months ago) I might buy a second and turn it into a Windows/Android/XBMC game console. I'm debating between the Asus Chromebox and the HP Stream Mini. Both fit my size criteria and the Stream Mini might be easier to modify but it all boils down to pricing.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So many people buying Chrome computers and turning them into machines with other operating systems :P "Bad Crystal, bad bad Crystal!" -Just kidding. If prices of the ASUS Chromebox drop again (they were sub $150 two months ago) I might buy a second and turn it into a Windows/Android/XBMC game console. I'm debating between the Asus Chromebox and the HP Stream Mini. Both fit my size criteria and the Stream Mini might be easier to modify but it all boils down to pricing.

Well to fair, I was intending to hack ChromeOS and improve it. But didn't get very far and quickly got bored of it. So I moved my project over to see what more I could do with it beyond Chrome OS. I ended up with something completely different.
I would like to note that my time and effort is now the reason Chakra OS is working on Chromebooks ^_^

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well to fair, I was intending to hack ChromeOS and improve it. But didn't get very far and quickly got bored of it. So I moved my project over to see what more I could do with it beyond Chrome OS. I ended up with something completely different.
I would like to note that my time and effort is now the reason Chakra OS is working on Chromebooks ^_^

OK, that's fair. -I wonder if Google will release a Chrome OS Beta Channel update tomorrow. So far, updates are usually on Tuesdays or Thursdays. They seriously need to add some damn native gif animation support! :angry:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool