The best linux operating systems ?

StackMasher

Trophies
XP
Country
I usually hop between Linux mint xfce and elementary os, tried solus once but I had problems with wifi drivers so that didn't last long

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Linux Mint or Cent OS.

Linux Mint provides a decent OOTB experience and is good for casual stuff but suffers while trying to do certain things e.g. it was a PITA to get Oracle running and couldn't run my tutor's C samples.

For these reasons I ended up installing Cent OS which is what my Uni uses, although I did install the Cinnamon UI.

Reactions: spotanjo3

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There isn't really a "best" Linux distribution. Try them for yourself, and stick with whichever one you like the most.

The more popular distributions are Ubuntu, Mint (an Ubuntu derivative), Arch (please don't try this one as your first distro), and Fedora. Of those four I like Arch the most, but that's because I know how Linux "ticks", so to speak. Ubuntu, Mint, and Fedora all have graphical installs. Arch is command line, and while it isn't a very difficult install, it's daunting if you have no Linux experience, and especially no Linux command line experience.
If you're looking for a good first distro, I would tend to recommend Fedora. It's more up to date than Ubuntu and Mint, while still being user friendly and stable. I've also seen Elementary OS thrown around, and that might be a solid first choice given that Elementary is an Ubuntu derivative, you're currently using a Macintosh according to your sig, and Elementary's desktop environment is very similar to Mac.

Really, though, the distro you use is up to you. Try the ones that intrigue you, and whichever one you like, go with that one. The reason so many distros exist is because people didn't see a distro that fit for them, so they made their own. Linux isn't about having a "best" distro, it's about having the best distro for your use case.

Last edited by jerbear64, , Reason: typo

Flirkyn

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Personally I'm more of a Windows user and I use Linux only for coding and school project, so I'm not an expert of the subject. But for what I've tried, I really like Linux Mint Cinnamon, and it's the main Linux I use at home. I recommend it, it's pretty user friendly.
At university we use Ubuntu, and personally I really dislike (to not say hate) Unity (the graphical interface that was on the one of my university) so I won't recommend it. But it's more of a personnal choice.
We also used Debian before they installed Ubuntu, and I haven't got a good experience from it, though it's more because is was poorly installed and configured (it was buggy as hell and crash/freezed a looot of time).

Last edited by Flirkyn,

spotanjo3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There isn't really a "best" Linux distribution. Try them for yourself, and stick with whichever one you like the most.

The more popular distributions are Ubuntu, Mint (an Ubuntu derivative), Arch (please don't try this one as your first distro), and Fedora. Of those four I like Arch the most, but that's because I know how Linux "ticks", so to speak. Ubuntu, Mint, and Fedora all have graphical installs. Arch is command line, and while it isn't a very difficult install, it's daunting if you have no Linux experience, and especially no Linux command line experience.
If you're looking for a good first distro, I would tend to recommend Fedora. It's more up to date than Ubuntu and Mint, while still being user friendly and stable. I've also seen Elementary OS thrown around, and that might be a solid first choice given that Elementary is an Ubuntu derivative, you're currently using a Macintosh according to your sig, and Elementary's desktop environment is very similar to Mac.

Really, though, the distro you use it up to you. Try the ones that intrigue you, and whichever one you like, go with that one. The reason so many distros exist is because people didn't see a distro that fit for them, so they made their own. Linux isn't about having a "best" distro, it's about having the best distro for your use case.

Thanks. I am not referring to my macOS since I love my laptop. I am talking about my other old laptop of windows xp to any linux.

Since Element OS looks good but it is not free. What a bummer. For Fedora but they have three options: Workstation, Server, or Atomic. My old windows xp laptop can works with Workstation, Server and Atomic ? I read them and not sure which one is preference.

StackMasher

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. I am not referring to my macOS since I love my laptop. I am talking about my other old laptop of windows xp to any linux.

Since Element OS looks good but it is not free. What a bummer. For Fedora but they have three options: Workstation, Server, or Atomic. My old windows xp laptop can works with Workstation, Server and Atomic ? I read them and not sure which one is preference.
Elementary is free, just enter $0 on their site :)

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you're going to go the Fedora route, you want Workstation. Server is for servers, and Atomic is for containers.

Also, Elementary OS is indeed free, as mentioned earlier you just have to enter 0 on their site.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @SylverReZ youtube to mp3 some are still good, usefull when the official music video has better audio than the music in th ecd
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wifi 7 routers are already out
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    and i'm still here on wifi 5
    all my stuff is wired anyway
    what annoys me is my server has 2.5g but i have nothing else that does
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point in 7 unless you have 5gb which no real point in it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No real point in 7 unless you have 5gb which no real point in it