OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
The 50 Best Freeware Games​

Introduction:

UPDATE: 50 50 and the user submitted NOW!

Just a short intro. Due to my recent addiction to freeware games (that was due to my lack of funds) I decided to compile a list of the freeware games I found the best. I've wasted a lot of time on the games, so I thought that everyone should too! :P Mind you, this is only the main 20 50 50 and the user submitted ones so far, it's not complete yet, however it will be. By tomorrow most likely. Make sure to suggest anything you find not there.

Speaking of suggesting, suggest any game not on the list since I'll be devoting a section just for those once I'm done I've devoted a section for those. Along with honorable mentions which I will add soon.

1-10
Cave Story

cavestory.jpg

The most beloved free game of all time, Cave Story has been played by millions of gamers across the webs. The depth of the story combined with fun and exciting gameplay mechanics make it a very good game. Even more amazing, it's only a megabyte big, without all the extras. Everyone should play it. And I do mean everyone.

download.gif
Download

Desktop Tower Defense

desktop-tower-defense.png

Desktop Tower Defense is one of the most addictive games ever created. It's sucks you in and before you know it, it's 3 am in the morning and you're half asleep. If you're trying to finish something due tomorrow, do not play it. However, if it's Sunday and there's nothing you can do, fire up this flash game and prepare to get your time wasted.

icon11.gif
Play Now

Knytt Stories

knytt_stories.jpg

Knytt Stories is a platformer in which you go through levels which are called stories, and where very story has its own unique, well, story. It seems like a simplistic platformer at first glance however it isn't. While the developer has only released a few stories on his own, there are a plethora of user-created stories to be found at his forum. These vary greatly in plot and difficulty so there's something in there for everyone.

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
User Created Levels

Grand Theft Auto 1 & 2

GTA2_PC_screenshot.jpg

Who would have thought Rockstar was this generous? Not only do they release a game for free, but they release 3. (they also have a rare gem called Wild Metal available) The classic top-down crime gameplay is still great fun, even by today's standards. It's still pretty good actually. Worth a download even if you have to sign up for their mailing list.

download.gif
Download

Sam and Max 104: Abe Lincoin Must Die

tn_565_2.jpg

One of my favorites on this list, this adventure game starring the crime fighting dog and hyper-kinetic rabbity thing was released for free out of season one. I actually consider it to be the best of the season so that's a good thing. It's still as funny and as randomly entertaining as ever, and the classic point and click gameplay becomes really fun when you get dialog like this. Available on Steam.

download.gif
Download

osu!

Osu_Game_2.jpg

Osu is a free rhythm game that is based primarily upon the Ouendan series, however it also takes elements from numerous other rhythm games like Taiko. Thanks to it's easily usable beat maker, Osu has a wide variety of songs called "beatmaps". They range from rock to pop to classical, and to the most seen and which is credited for a large number of the playerbase, Anime songs. It's fun, easy to learn but hard to master, and has too many songs to count.

download.gif
Download

TrackMania Nations Forever

trackmania-nations-5.jpg

This game was released to promote their full version, however it plays much like a full game itself. Even with the limited tracks and such, it's still great fun. The controls work great and the physics are wacky. It's not really the most realistic driving game in the world, but it's definitely great to play with you jumping up ramps and across lakes. Available on Steam and through their website.

download.gif
Download Via Steam
download.gif
Download Via Website

Karoshi

karoshi21.png

Karoshi is a unique platformer because in this game, the aim is to die. No seriously, you're supposed to die. There are a total of 5 games in the series, all of them have something that makes them particularly special. For example, in the 5th game, you're supposed to figure out a way for both you and everyone else to die. It's insanely fun and kinda sadistic to try and kill your character. Then again, "Karoshi" means death from overwork.

icon11.gif
Website (Links to All Games)

Crayon Physics

157752-crayon_physics_1_original.jpg

The deluxe version may have already come out but the original is still on the internet and as good as ever. The drawing puzzle gameplay is still very fun. Some of you may have played Pocket Physics on the DS. This is sort of like that, except for the fact that you have to solve puzzles using your drawn creations.

download.gif
Download

Quake Live

Quake-Live-jumping-590x368.jpg

Quake Live is Quake III Arena in your browser. Yes, in your browser. Thanks to a plugin, it plays within Firefox and now, Chrome. It's about as fun and twitchy as it was before. It's smooth, responsive, and well worth it for the tiny price of 0. It's the fast paced FPS that we all remember. Playable in your browser.

icon11.gif
Play Now

11-20
Super Crate Box

Super-Crate-Box-Screen-2.jpg

Super Crate Box is reminescent of old arcade games. And it plays a lot like it too. Combining action with some platforming gameplay, it's a fast paced and addictive game. It's simplistic, but it's very difficult to master. I remember when I first played it, I kept dying in the tutorial. It's going to keep you interested for a long time. Another thing I love is the nice soundtrack.

download.gif
Download

Alien Swarm

xm0arb.jpg

The game is a top down shooter released by our beloved Valve. The game is very professionally made for a free game and Valve decided to be generous. The gameplay is quite refreshing. The tactical gameplay is nice and well made, and the graphics are superb, at least for something free. Available on Steam.

download.gif
Download

RunMan: Race Around The World

RunMan-Race-Around-the-World_2.jpg

Runman is a very fun platforming game with some elements derived from Sonic. You have to run to the end as fast as you possible. You can't die, you just get spit out where you came from where you die. It's actually superior to Sonic in some aspects. Since you can't die, you don't have to worry about going back to the start of the level. Just keep going until the end. It's pure fun and has very high replayability since you'll want to keep beating your own score. The graphics and soundtrack are adorable by the way.

download.gif
Download

Spelunky

spelunky.png

Everyone loves Spelunky right? Yes, that's right. Spelunky is essentially a platformer + dungeon crawler where your character travels through underground caverns and such to retrieve goodies, treasure, and to save damsels in distress. The maps in the game are randomly generated so you never go what you're gonna get. That is probably the cause of the large difficulty curve that a new player has to face. It's quite easy to die but once you get the hang of it, it's going to be really fun.

download.gif
Download

N

n-21.jpg

You've probably played N+ right? Well, this is the original. The addicting yet frustrating ninja is still as fun as ever. And with user-submitted content and levels. I don't have to explain much here.

download.gif
Download

Echoes

echoes_2.jpg

This game, not to be confused with another game I've never heard of, is sort of like Asteroids. And Geometry Wars. But according to the website, it really is Asteroids hyperactive, drug crazed brother displayed in blur-o-vision© and viewed through psychedelic sunglasses in a cheap nightclub. Yeah, so it's a really fun Shmup. Really fun and really wacky too.

download.gif
Download

Eversion

screenie.png

This is a very good platformer. No game could go from extremely cute and adorable to seriously fucked up this fast. One moment, the world is full of clouds and flowers, and the other, there's one eyed black things, bubbles that look like their made of tar, and (this genuinely creeped me out) hands that randomly pop out from the sea and try to grab you. It's seriously fucked up, yet they actually take these things and turn them into great gameplay mechanics. If you're not easily scared, give it a shot.

download.gif
Download

Dwarf Fortress

dwf1.png

This ASCII-ish game is very complex and very unique. Perhaps it may turn players off immediately by its intimidating difficulty, however if you get into it, it becomes really good. The difficulty is immense though, you'll die. Very often. However, the extreme depth and things to do here and the number of elements thrown there really make it worth a play, even though the motto of the game is "Losing is fun."

download.gif
Download

Canabalt

canabalt-1.gif

Canabalt is a simplistic action game where you simply press one button to jump over buildings and obstacles. It's not so deep or compelling, but it is great for coffee breaks or when you're bored. It's surprisingly fun actually.

icon11.gif
Play Now

Spirit Engine 2

screenshot05.png

This is a very good RPG. It implements a Real Time Sidescrolling system that's very deep and fun. The story is large, so large that is spans multiple characters and plots and all of that. It has very enjoyable graphics and dialog.

download.gif
Download

21-30
Desktop Dungeons

screens_0_14a.png

Desktop Dungeons is a very compacted and unique rogue like game. It's very complex yet one game of it manages to last 10 minutes, just about perfect for your snack break. It's deep and challenging due to the plethora of aspects like classes and races. The random-generation aspect of the game makes for a fresh experience each time. Perhaps one of the most different rogue-likes I've ever seen.

download.gif
Download

What Linus Bruckman Sees When His Eyes Are Closed

LB_ss2.png

This is an excerpt from my review of the game:
"The way that this game plays is innovative and unique. It's one of the most original games I've ever played, and it's well worth a play even if the puzzle gameplay may seem to be a turn off. It's an amazing game and there's not really a reason why you shouldn't play it. The story is one of the most engrossing ones I've ever experienced. It's definitely a must-try."
And since I'm sure that's not descriptive enough, I'll (shamelessly) include a link to my review.

download.gif
Download

Fraxy

fraxy-09.jpg

Fraxy is a great SHMUP with a very high level of customization. The user can easily customize the sprites, music, effects and other parts of the game. You can create stages of your own and bosses to go with them. Due to this, there is a lot of user downloadable content to be found on their website. Pretty great game to fool around with.

download.gif
Download

Iji

iji_screen1.gif

Iji is an action-packed strategic platform shooter with a detailed story, large levels with multiple paths, powerful bosses and lots of secrets. It's story is gigantic since most actions you take affect the dialog and events in many different ways. There is a high level of replayability since you'll want to see everything that happens, and also due to the great gameplay with a great leveling system. I know what I'm about to say may sound like blasphemy, but this game may actually be just as good as Cave Story.

download.gif
Download

Minecraft Classic

Minecraft_classic1.png

Minecraft Classic is the free version of the EXTREMELY POPULAR Minecraft. It's a version that allows you to just build and build without the complications of material gathering and such. It's played in the browser and is quite extensive for a free version. While it may have a limited number of available objects, it's still very fun to tinker around with. The perfect version for those tired of collecting and for those that have a lack of funds to buy the beta version.

icon11.gif
Play Now

King's Quest Series

84531_Rdx_screen2_normal.png

King's Quest is a fantastic point and click adventure game in a fantasy setting. All of them have very large and engaging stories and interesting gameplay. The games are now available for free and all of them are worth a play. Fantastic game for anyone who like adventure games of this sort.

download.gif
Download (All 3)

Meat Boy

[tn=250]http://www.freegameaccess.com/images/meat-boy-big.jpg[/tn]

While it's big brother Super Meat Boy may be better and bigger, this game is nearly just as fun. Perhaps it may not have the shiny graphics and level design of the sequel, it's platforming goodness is still here. And it's free and ready for you to play online. What more can you really ask for?

icon11.gif
Play Now

Beneath A Steel Sky

Beneath_a_Steel_Sky_-_hunting_kangaroos.jpg

While there are other free games released for the ScummVM software, this probably stood out the most. It provides a fantastically told story that's dark and gloomy. While the graphics may not seem like much, this story is one that is amazing to experience. According to a review of this game, "there are many newer games with infinitely superior graphics and sound that are inferior experiences to this."

download.gif
Download

Command and Conquer: Tiberian Dawn

commandc_790screen003.jpg

The original Command and Conquer was released for free at some point. We all know the game by now so it's almost futile for me to describe it. The only problem is that it was taken off of the website, but it's still legally available to download for free. It's still Command and Conquer in all of its beautiful glory, amazingly fantastic.
To those that can't run it, here's a fix, courtesy of p1ngpong: Go into your game folder and set compatibility to windows 95 for the game exe, and then download and replace one of the game dll's in that same folder with the updated one in the file that can be downloaded below.

download.gif
Download
download.gif
Download Fix

Samorost

Samorost_world.jpg

Before Samorost 2 became famous, Samorost 1 was a very small and simplistic flash game. The story is interesting for some reason, and the puzzles are compelling, but what really makes the game stand out is the surrealistic art style and the unique score. This is a fascinating game that employs a message.

icon11.gif
Play Now

31-40
Nethack

scrn3b.gif

Nethack is an extremely popular game that nearly everyone who surfs the interwebz knows about. For those of you who don't know it for some reason, it's a roguelike game that primarily has an ASCII interface (although that can be changed pretty easily) that has a very good gameplay system, even though it's was developed in 1987. Since then, a large number of Graphical mods have been released and it is still being updated.

download.gif
Download

Battleships Forever

[tn=250]http://www.wyrdysm.com/images/MyUploadedImages/BFscreen079.gif[/tn]

Battleships Forever is an RTS game inspired by Warning Forever (which will appear on this list later on). This game is quite an innovative and detailed game. Almost every calculation concerning damage and battle is precise. There are numerous ships available and the abilities in these ships are new and original. For example, there is a shield in the game that allows you to draw the shape of the field.

download.gif
Download

Within a Deep Forest

3_withinF4.jpg

Within a Deep Forest is a platforming game from the creator of Knytt Stories and Knytt, both of which are featured on this list. The base gameplay is generally much more difficult than Knytt, and that's a good thing actually for those who thought Knytt was really easy. (it was) The music is beautiful and the backgrounds are vivid.

download.gif
Download

Toribash

screen1.jpg

Toribash is a ragdoll-like physics based fighting game. If that sounds weird, then you're right. It is weird. But it is a very innovative game. In Toribash, you create the moves that your fighter is going to make, making it quite different from most fighting games where your character is limited to a set of moves given to him. Very fun to play and experiment with.

download.gif
Download

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

81.png

Wolfenstein: ET is a popular multiplayer-only FPS released as a freeware game when the planned implimimentation to the actual game didn't work out. Good for us that got this free game. The co-op gameplay is nice. There are two teams which must complete their objectives and the other must prevent them. There are a plethora of maps, not the official ones but user-made maps.

download.gif
Download

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy & Remake

11copycopy.png
infocom.gif

There are two versions to this game. First is the original text based version, and the second plays more like a graphic adventure. Both are fantastic games. They both generally have the same plot, however it's your decision which way you would rather experience it. Though at times, the text may be considered superior, the remake is more visual and thus easier to get into. Pick and play one.

icon11.gif
Play Now (Text)
download.gif
Download (Graphic)

Blocksum

s0.jpg

There are many Tetris clones that made their own spin on things and such, however this one differs quite a lot from the others. This one is a puzzle game where instead of having to match colors, you have to connect numbers. You should have seriously quick counting skills and tetris skills to survive. That being said, this is a fantastic clone of Tetris that is certainly unique and very addictive.

download.gif
Download

Cloud

screenshot_00000.jpg

Before the creators of the well received Flower opened their game company, Cloud was their first game. And if you've played even the slightest bit of flower, you probably know what this game is going to be like. Cloud is a simplistic puzzle game that is intended to spark emotion in the player. It certainly achieves that. The entire game's ambient images of clouds were so.... *closed eyes*.

download.gif
Download

Grid Wars 1 & 2

gw1.jpg

Grid Wars is one of those games that never made is secret that it is basically a clone. It's a clone of Geometry Wars. Nearly every aspect right down to the name is similar to Grid Wars. It's so good and so close to Grid Wars that it eventually led to it being taken down, but no fear, it's still available, along with it's sequel, Grid Wars 2. It's basically your fix of Geometry Wars for free.

download.gif
Download (Grid Wars 1)
download.gif
Download (Grid Wars 2)

Warning Forever

warningforevernq0.jpg

One of my personal favorites, Warning Forever is another Shmup. "*Groan*, another Shmup?" Yes, be quiet. There are a lot of free shmups for some reason. This one is pretty bare, there's not even any background music. (you have to place it yourself) However, the gameplay is addictive. You have to battle a boss repeatedly, and the boss gets STRONGER AND STRONGER until his body occupies nearly the entire screen and it's hard to get anywhere without running into him. You will spend the next two hours of your like playing it once you start.

download.gif
Download

41-50
Allegiance

BeltCapEntersAleph.jpg

Allegiance is a game developed by Microsoft that no one played and was thus, abandoned by Microsoft. Now, it's being operated by a group of volunteers, even though it still has a low playerbase. It's an online strategy game where there are multiple faction that expand their bases and fight with other factions in order to do so. It's excellently made, and still well maintained.

download.gif
Download

The Ur-Quan Masters

scale_triscan.png

Ur-Quan Masters is a freeware version of the PC and 3DO game, Star Control II.The game is an Adventure game in which you are tasked to free earth by battling and making alliences with diferent races. There is also a mode where you simply battle. Suffice to say that it is actually ]improved from the original, adding quite a bit of modifications that better the game as a whole.

download.gif
Download

Chalk

chalk01.gif

Chalk is somewhat similar to Okami, except with chalk instead of a celestial paintbrush, and with guns instead of fire demons. It's simple, yet very fun. It's gameplay approach is quite innovative, and you can define your own playstyle based on what you prefer to draw. You remove bullets by drawing circles, create them to use them as weapons, or deflect them. Your pick, but it's fun no matter what way you play it.

download.gif
Download

Dyson

890675-untitled_super.png

You guys all know Eufloria, right? Of course you guys do. Well, this is what it was before it was commercially released. It used to be known as Dyson and Dyson is still online and free. It doesn't have as many features and thingies that Eufloria has, but no matter. It's still ambient and atmpospheric as ever. The procedurally generated gameplay is great.

download.gif
Download

Frozzd

frozzd.png

Frozzd is an excellent game. This is a line taken from a review: “If only every freeware game had this level of professional polish, then maybe there would be much fewer wars and absolutely no terrorists.” While that may be an obvious hyperbole, it's adorable characters and wintery themes make this a memorable action adventure game. A tad bit strategic, the gameply is highly refined.

download.gif
Download

Freeciv

freeciv-screenshot-8-thumb2.png

Freeciv, as you may have guessed, is a free game largely based on the Civilization series. It's actually more akin to Civilization II than the others. While it doesn't have the depth and polish of Civilization IV and V, it's very good for what it is. It's playable in your browser, so try it right now. There's also a game similar to it called Freecol, which wasn't included here but will be included as an honorable mention later on.

icon11.gif
Play Now

Give Up Robot 1 & 2

giveuprobotscreen2--article_image.jpg

The Give Up Robot series is a psychedelic series of platformers that feel sort of similar to Portal due to the fact that there is a robot voice that nags you in ways. In the game, you control a robot who uses a hook in order to get through multiple stages, sort of like puzzles. It's fun and wacky and has very creatively made levels.

icon11.gif
Play Now (Give Up Robot 1)
icon11.gif
Play Now (Give Up Robot 2)

Marathon Trilogy

inf06.jpg

The Marathon Trilogy was developed by Bungie before they released their hit series, Halo. There are 3 games (obviously) and they are all very good, you can see that the company exhibited their ability even before they released Halo. Marathon is a very good FPS. It was originally developed for Mac and has no official Windows release, however the website has a few tools to get around that.

download.gif
Download

Hero Core

herocorezoom.gif

Hero Core is the sequel to Hero, and developed by the creator of Iji. It's a retro inspired Adventure Shmup (YES ANOTHER F'ING SHMUP) that is greatly non-linear. Actually, with the way the worl is designed you could head straight for the final area right away although I don't know if anyone would actually want that. The gameplay is pretty easy to learn, however the difficulty is quite great, especially on hard mode. Very worth a play.

download.gif
Download

Knytt

KnyttStories.jpg

Probably one of my very first free indie games, Knytt is a very simplistic and easy game. The story on the other hand is excellent and quite similar to Earthbound. The game is very atmospheric and ambient, and the backgrounds are lush and are waiting to be explored. It's also extremely adorable for some reason. There's also a mod available called Brutally Unfair Knytt, and it's much more insane than the normal one.

download.gif
Download

User Submissions
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

492119daggerfall.jpg
- Contributed by Rydian

A classic RPG released in 1996. Outdated, but the experience is good nonetheless. Great for those that would like to relieve the game too.

download.gif
Download

AnUntitledStory

Untitled.png
- Contributed by Rydian

AnUntitledStory is a metroidvania type of game (by the same guy that made RunMan). -Rydian It's pretty nice. Remember to play it with a gamepad. It's how it was meant to be played. Really cool and interesting.

download.gif
Download

Jumpman

jumpman_lg.jpg
- Contributed by Rydian

Jumpman is a simplistic platformer where the basic goal is to get to the exit. It's very simplistic, however it's great to keep you busy repeatedly. It's REALLY simplistic actually. However, simplistic in a good way.

download.gif
Download

Synaesthete

syn_field.jpg
- Contributed by Rydian

I haven't played this in detail yet, but from what I've played this game is very well crafted, has a great concept and has a great soundtrack. Very, very worth a play. I might even kick off one of my top 50 spots just for this one. (that'll probably be Minecraft Classic when it goes out of business)

download.gif
Download

Red Alert: A Path Beyond

post-1456-1200152324.jpg
- Contributed by TechnoWorm

A sort of TPS/FPS/Strategy type game that I haven't played yet, but from what I've read and seen it looks pretty good. Fron the official site: "Red alert: A Path Beyond brings the exciting storyline and epic clashes from the classic Westwood Studios game "Command & Conquer: Red alert" to realm of first person shooters."

download.gif
Download

The Suffering

Suffering_01.jpg
- Contributed by Depravo

The Suffering is a survival horror game that was previously released as a commercial game for the XBOX, PC and PS2. (I think) However, it's free for the PC now (albeit with some mildly obtrusive ads) so that's good. It's a pretty big download, at 1.3 GB, but it'll be worth it since it's a very fun game. Er.. I didn't actually download it myself since I have some other stuff on my download agenda.

download.gif
Download

Igneous

11433_1159524582340_1054530392_30801149_8080553_n.jpg
- Contributed by omgpwn666

Igneous is an adventure platformer where you have to navigate through a volcano. As obvious already, the entire game world is filled with all sorts of fire based things. I don't have much to say other than it looks fantastic graphically. "You're a stone that rolls away around obstacles. The engine is custom built from scrap and is kind of demanding for a free game." - omgpwn666 (My netbook can't run it so I had to use my cousin's laptop to test it out XD.)

download.gif
Download

Octodad

screen6.jpg
- Contributed by updowners

Octodad is an adventure game about an octopus that pretends to be a human. He's having numerous problems on mastering how to use his tentacles in order to preform mundane human tasks with his tentacles and keeping the secret of his octopus-ness from his human family. Perhaps the story sound wacky, well it is, but it's handled with a surprising amount of grace. Interesting, to say the least.

download.gif
Download

Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles

amyvsrose.jpg
- Contributed by updowners

A very grand-scale Puzzle game with a STORY MODE that contributes over 30 hours of playtime. Oh the glory. It's gameplay is surprisingly fun, and the concept and gameplay are very extensive, most especially for a puzzle game. Definitely worth a play for puzzle lovers, and just about everyone else.

download.gif
Download

Dink Smallwood

ipad_dragons.jpg
- Contributed by deathking

I haven't given this a shot yet so unfortunately I'm not able to give it my own description, so here's a couple of glowing review quotes. "The main hook in this game has to be the sense of humor that permeates it... the difference is that this game is beautiful, gory, and has a wonderful (and twisted) sense of humor." "Dink Smallwood has been written about in many game magazines, including PC Gamer and PC Games, and is considered to be one of the highest-quality shareware freeware RPGs in cyberspace."

download.gif
Download

System Shock

System%20Shock_1.png
- Contributed by CrimzonEyed

System Shock is a freeware, or more appropriately, an abandonware game released in 1994 to huge critical acclain and that's for good reason. System Shock is a great blend of numerous elements that somehow are coherent with one another. The dark, dystopian storytelling and the great gameplay system that's somewhat of an RPG, FPS and Adventure are make this a great game. Shame I didn't find it was free when I was writing this list.

download.gif
Download

Honorable Mentions
You Have To Burn The Rope

You Have To Burn The Rope is a comment and an insult to common Video Game culture. Perhaps it's considered akin to Portal, however it almost reverses the concept of Portal's complexity. You Have To Burn The Rope is probably the simplest game ever made, yet somehow some people can't figure out what to do. Those are the same people who skip tutorials. It takes you 2 minutes to play the game, however it's worth your time for the ending song alone. Play it now. If you can't win, post it here. XD

icon11.gif
Play Now

Codename: Gordon

C'mon. You have to have heard of this at some point already. The somewhat fan-made spin-off to Half Life 2 is still available and it's still shiny and glorious. It's still fun for some 2D Shooting glory. Worth a download, it's available on Steam too, but it doesn't have a link. If someone could give me to link, it would be much appreciated. For now, I'll just post the normal download.

download.gif
Download

The Breach

A sci-fi metroidvania that's more metroid than vania. It's a fun and extremely atmospheric sci-fi action platformer with a great story. Worth a try, it's flash anyways.

icon11.gif
Play Now

Robot Unicorn Attack/Heavy Metal

It's not the most complex or advanced game gameplay wise, but we can all agree that the reason why this game is selling so well is because it's funny. It's funny because of the extremely flamboyant presentation of the first game, and the fact that everything suddenly turned weird in the second. And the theme song. After you play if a few times, you begin to realize that you've been singing the song of the first or banging your head to the song of the second. I dare you to forget about this game. You can't.

icon11.gif
Play Now (Original)
icon11.gif
Play Now (Heavy Metal)

8Bit Killer

The game is an 8bit FPS. Doesn't that sound unique? Well yes, yes it is. It's a short game, but the gameplay mechanics, the retro look and feel and great soundtrack certainly make it worth a play. The story isn't the best, but, cut it some slack. It's meant to be a 90's game.

download.gif
Download

Rescue: The Beagles

This game is an adorable, animal friendly platformer that should be on PETA's campaign (but it isn't, since they prefer things like Super Tofu Boy, bleeeech!). The game is a simplistic and nicely designed platformer where you must rescue, well beagles, all while not getting beaten by the bad guys. It seems really... er... well, it doesn't sound that good written but trust me, the game will surprise you with it's fun simplicity. Give it a shot.

download.gif
Download

Teeworlds

Teeworlds is a retro online multiplayer shooter that's like an adorable 2D idea of a deathmatch game. You control these little adorable Kirby-like characters in which you nuke it out against your foes and enemies online in a variety of game modes. It's ADORABLE. For some reason. Even if I get killed by tons of nukes, I still find time to look at the cute visuals.

download.gif
Download

FreeCol

FreeCol is a strategy game often associated with FreeCiv, although they really aren't the same thing. FreeCol is based upon an old game called Colonization, NOT Civilization: Colonization. It's gameplay is somewhat similar to it's other free buddy, however in this game your goal is to create an independent country with a group of colonists. Nice strategic gameplay.

download.gif
Download

Passage

Passage isn't really much of a game, so much as it is a message. It's not really possible to reveal that much without spoiling it, however I'll try. You're supposed to go through the passage "of life" and basically you right ahead of you. Your viewpoint is limited to only the tiles ahead, meaning you have to go down or up to see what's there. Play it. And then read the creator's statement.

icon11.gif
Creator's Statement
download.gif
Download

GENETOS

Genetos is basically a history lesson on Shmups. As you go through the game, the levels are built to represent the different stages of the genre's history, and it's evolution to what it is now. I think it's the first game ever to do that actually. It's a unique look at what your dad used to play in the Arcade, or what you may have played in the arcade. (I'm 14, and my dad hates video games so I don't belong to either of them)

download.gif
Download

*NOT DONE YET WITH HONORABLE MENTIONS, MORE TO COME!*

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It's nice to see titles like Eversion on there.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Rydian said:
It's nice to see titles like Eversion on there.

• Jumpman is a simple platform game with a twist... but it is simple so I don't know if it deserves a place here, I'll let people decide.
    http://runhello.com/?p=24

Simplicity is fine, if it's a great game. I mean, I did put Canabalt here, and it's basically you pressing one button over and over.

Eversion is a great game, if not really fucked up.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Nice list, I downloaded command and conquer but it wouldn't run. I googled around and found a fix for those who want to play it. Go into your game folder and set compatibility to windows 95 for the game exe, and then download and replace one of the game dll's in that same folder with this updated one ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/ccgold/CCGOLDXPPATCH.ZIP

Works fine now on xp for me.
yaypsp.gif

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
Nice list, I downloaded command and conquer but it wouldn't run. I googled around and found a fix for those who want to play it. Go into your game folder and set compatibility to windows 95 for the game exe, and then download and replace one of the game dll's in that same folder with this updated one ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/ccgold/CCGOLDXPPATCH.ZIP

Works fine now on xp for me.
yaypsp.gif
Thanks!
biggrin.gif
Updated with your link.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over