ROM Hack [THE] 3DS Translation Request Topic

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About FF1: The 3DS version is not the definitive version, the PSP version is. The 3DS version of the game just slaps the 2D art on crappy 3D models and is honestly not very good.

I do think it should be translated but it's really not the definitive version of FF1.

Spiderkid08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About FF1: The 3DS version is not the definitive version, the PSP version is. The 3DS version of the game just slaps the 2D art on crappy 3D models and is honestly not very good.

I do think it should be translated but it's really not the definitive version of FF1.
im halfway through the psp version and from what i've seen. the 3ds version looks WAY better, just my opinion though, it may sound weird but i kinda like the sprites on 3d background stuff. It reminds me of alot of ds games or indie games.

Last edited by Spiderkid08,

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im halfway through the psp version and from what i've seen. the 3ds version looks WAY better, just my opinion though, it may sound weird but i kinda like the sprites on 3d background stuff. It reminds me of alot of ds games or indie games.
Not saying you can't like it, but it's a lazy cash-in with very terrible 3D models and it just plasters the graphics from the PSP version onto those models.
It probably could run on the DS with how little effort was put into the 3D models.

aspireteur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Game Name: E.X. Troopers
Developer/Publisher: Capcom
Release: 22/11/2012
Genre: Action/ 3rd person shooter
You can see a post for this games in the first page of this threads but recently i have seen that :

Few tools who works : mhmodtools-by-dasding_rev05 and Arctools for decompressing .arc (if it can help).
I understand a little japanese when they speak it but I can't read it so i miss a lot of thing.
Capcom say he won't release it outside of japan because there are hardcoded stuff, something...
Anyway i'm newbie and i'm just posting this for showing it can be possible now. If anyone is intersted or know how to change the text i'm also intersted for curiosity and maybe to make it too.
PS: Sorry for my bad english.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Game Name: E.X. Troopers
Developer/Publisher: Capcom
Release: 22/11/2012
Genre: Action/ 3rd person shooter
You can see a post for this games in the first page of this threads but recently i have seen that :

Few tools who works : mhmodtools-by-dasding_rev05 and Arctools for decompressing .arc (if it can help).
I understand a little japanese when they speak it but I can't read it so i miss a lot of thing.
Capcom say he won't release it outside of japan because there are hardcoded stuff, something...
Anyway i'm newbie and i'm just posting this for showing it can be possible now. If anyone is intersted or know how to change the text i'm also intersted for curiosity and maybe to make it too.
PS: Sorry for my bad english.

Am I the only one who thinks that person on the right of the YouTube preview image looks like Sakura from Naruto?

azul120

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game Name: Puzzle and Dragons X: Kami/Ryuu no Shou
Developer/Publisher: GungHo/GungHo
Release: 07/28/2016 in Japan
Genre: Puzzle/RPG

Does it have lots of text?
I'd say moderate.

Why I don't think this will come out in the West?

The Z/Mario dual release from 2015 only did so-so from what I gather, plus with already 8 months passed with no announcement in sight and the 3ds being slowly put to pasture, it's safe to say slim.

What is it about?

2nd adaptation of mobile match 3 meets collectible monsters game, this time with 2 versions.

Popularity in Japan:
Series as a whole is very popular.

Screenshots:

51R2r7dS9OL_large.jpeg
51ieCeyIVAL_large.jpeg

51U6Zw00NmL_large.jpeg

Videos:

Why I think it needs to be translated?
I have played a lot of the original mobile game over a period exceeding 2 years, and enjoyed the last game they brought out, even though it contained only a fraction of the monsters that were available from there. This installment has even more monsters from the original, more new monsters making their debut here, and a longer story mode.

What I can do to help:
Not much on my end, sadly. I can buy and help playtest if it would help.

Espiox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Game Name: A-Train 3D NEO
Developer/Publisher: Studio Artdink / Artdink
Release: December 1st 2016
Genre: Simulation

It's a patch (and new retail release with the old DLC bundled in) for A-Train 3D: City Simulator, which was localized by Natsume and released in the West. It's adds major New 3DS performance improvements and extra button mapping, so there's no significant new translation required. However they have no plans to localize this patch or retail edition in the West, sadly. Since it received an English translation already, it could be a case of applying that translation to the NEO version, if possible (or applying the NEO patch to the English version?)

Not a massive amount
Natsume said they're not bringing the patch over.
What is it about?
Its a city simulation through the lens of a Japanese-style transportation company, using trains, buses, trams and subsidiary companies to encourage the city's growth. Traditionally a fairly complex, difficult game to get into, but the 3DS game adds a great tutorial.
Popularity in Japan:
Fairly popular. It's a 30-year strong series as of this year.
Screenshots:
image_01_03.png
image_01_02.png
image_02_04.png
image_02_02.png

Videos:

The only real knock against this game is the performance. The NEO patch make major boosts to things like view rotation, save/load times, and the 3D polygonal city viewer that would massively improve quality of life.
What I can do to help:
I own an English copy of the original and will be buying a Japanese retail copy of NEO shortly if translation is possible, and I'd be happy to help however I can.

Last edited by Espiox,
Reactions: Subötaï

ICY MB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Game Name: Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari SP (ダウンタウン熱血物語 SP)
Developer/Publisher: Arc System Works
Release: 10/27/2016
Genre: Beat 'em up

It's not a Visual Novel, but yeah, has many dialogues

If a publisher has to release in the West all the Kunio-kun games ArcSys has released the last year for his 30th anniversary it probably took years and years to go, Switch is here, so 3DS might be discontinued

What is it about?

Kunio teams up with rival Riki in order to save Riki's girlfriend from the Reihō High School gang. The game is a side-scrolling beat-em-up which combined RPG elements such as buying items and equipment that would increase the player's stats or acquire new moves.

Popularity in Japan:

It doesn't has the same popularity as series like Pokémon, Final Fantasy and such other games, but is probably a well known series, not only for his beat 'em up games, also for his sports games (like Soccer Nintendo's World Cup or Super Dodgeball) and now that ArcSys has his license alongside with Double Dragon, probably the fanbase has got bigger

Screenshots:

005.jpg

92071_River_City_Ransom_SP_2016_03_11_16_014.jpg

1zgq3cZ.jpg

Videos:

Though River City Ransom (western name) had tons of remakes (and some of them localized) this one in particular has A LOT of new content: Day-night time, events that changes through choices, more plot, side quests, new moves, a fighting-ish mode about Billy and Jimmy (from Double Dragon)...

What I can do to help:
Sadly i can't help too much, maybe i could bring info of characters, moves, items and things like that, but i could learn about translating 3DS files or something like that

Reactions: espurri

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Game Name: Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland
Developer/Publisher: Gust / NIS
Release: JP: June 4, 2015
Genre: JRPG

Yes
Its been two years since the JAP release. It wont be localized.
What is it about?
The Alchemist Rorona.
Popularity in Japan:
Kind of popular.
Screenshots:
Atelier_Rorona_Plus_The_Alchemist_of_Arland.jpg

Videos:

Wonderful game that needs a bigger audience!
What I can do to help:
Testing :D

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Game Name: Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland

Heh, I know of the series, never played it but I didn't even know it had a 3DS title I thought it was just PlayStation till recent PC releases.

I assume this is the same script as the VITA? I had a quick look and seems you can straight up port the VITA script but looks like the 3DS version has a character limit set so some lines get cut off and some lines just don't fit right.

All the text seems to be read from .ebm files, they have everything in plain text in .ems files which you can edit but the game doesn't read from those, looks like they had a .ems to .ebm convertor and just left the .ems files in the romfs for whatever reason.

Any file with .cx on the end seems to be compressed with BLZ, .arc.cx are SARC files, and if you remove the "90" in HEX after decompress you can edit them as a SARC file but I haven't tried importing/recompressing and testing.

Just thought I'd post some initial findings, don't know if I'll toy with it much more since unless the character limit (seems to be 70) can be increased for the text and some ebm editing gets worked out it seems kinda pointless to look into the rest of it.

While I was waiting for the video to upload I seem to have got past the character limit, which also required me rebuilding one of the SARC files so texture edits should be possible.

V4hSUvH.png
vuqNdQ1.png
jZIUNml.png

Edit:
Looks like there is quite a bit of text stored in the code.bin which is always a hassle to edit, like character names are in there, I had success changing ロロナ to Rorona but seems like luck :P

Last edited by DarkSynopsis,

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Heh, I know of the series, never played it but I didn't even know it had a 3DS title I thought it was just PlayStation till recent PC releases.

I assume this is the same script as the VITA? I had a quick look and seems you can straight up port the VITA script but looks like the 3DS version has a character limit set so some lines get cut off and some lines just don't fit right.

All the text seems to be read from .ebm files, they have everything in plain text in .ems files which you can edit but the game doesn't read from those, looks like they had a .ems to .ebm convertor and just left the .ems files in the romfs for whatever reason.

Any file with .cx on the end seems to be compressed with BLZ, .arc.cx are SARC files, and if you remove the "90" in HEX after decompress you can edit them as a SARC file but I haven't tried importing/recompressing and testing.

Just thought I'd post some initial findings, don't know if I'll toy with it much more since unless the character limit (seems to be 70) can be increased for the text and some ebm editing gets worked out it seems kinda pointless to look into the rest of it.

While I was waiting for the video to upload I seem to have got past the character limit, which also required me rebuilding one of the SARC files so texture edits should be possible.

V4hSUvH.png
vuqNdQ1.png
jZIUNml.png

Edit:
Looks like there is quite a bit of text stored in the code.bin which is always a hassle to edit, like character names are in there, I had success changing ロロナ to Rorona but seems like luck :P

Wow! Awsome :)

Regarding character limit: I think the Maple story or DQ team got code for that. Would be the coolest thing ever if we could import the text from PS or PC versions :)

Sabishinbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would anyone be interested in assisting me in the translation of Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters?
I'm a programmer(C++/Python/A bit of JS) with (intermediate) knowledge in Japanese, but I have zero experience in hacking 3DS games to extract text.

Last edited by Sabishinbo,

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Would anyone be interested in assisting me in the translation of Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters?
I'm a programmer(C++/Python/A bit of JS) with (intermediate) knowledge in Japanese, but I have zero experience in hacking 3DS games to extract text.
I can help with graphics ... I'm still noob with 3Ds hacking too so I can't help much there :/

My one qeustion now is if you plan to use original digimon names/terms or western one >w> hahah

soliunasm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game Name: Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter: Albatross no Tsubasa (超速変形ジャイロゼッター アルバロスの翼)
Developer/Publisher: Square-Enix
Release: June 13th, 2013
Genre: Turn-based car collecting RPG

Well, it's an RPG. From the 40 or so hours I've played of it I would say it's a small to medium length RPG in terms of how much text there is. It seems like NPCs in town only change from one line of dialogue to another once you clear a major event and then never again, the only things that seem to change constantly are what shopkeepers tell you. There's about 150ish Gyrozetters to translate including their flavor text in the bestiary and special Final Burst attacks, moves seem to be both unique and shared (As in, some characters have a special attack with a special name but it does the same effect as another move another character has) as well. There's about 100 or so skill cards you can collect (Basically, cards you equip to your Gyrozetters that can boost stuff like damage, what gear they're in at the start of battle, special damage, etc) but their descriptions are very short. The main story is where the meat of everything is in the end but even there the general dialogue isn't stretched out or anything, most scenes end up less than a couple minutes at best. There are some side stories but it's basically one or two per town and that's about it so far, and the wiki I'm using lists only about 10ish of them in total. There's also some challenges you can do but they just throw you into a battle, the only thing that would be translated on that front is the menu and the challenge card telling you what it is.

If you want a general idea, here's the wiki I've been using to figure out cards I'm getting and what Gyrozetters can be found here:
http://enjoigame.sakura.ne.jp/3ds_gyrozetter/index.html

Furigana is used constantly since the game is meant for kids, so it shouldn't be too difficult to translate in that respect. Another thing is that the game uses a lot of Katakana with English names for things like the moves, the cars, the skill cards, and the challenges so those are basically translated for you, even some move descriptions are mostly in Katakana.

The anime didn't do well in Japan despite lots of advertisement on Square-Enix's side to the point that even arcade machines were going unplayed and it's already been three or four years since the show aired so if it was going to be localized it would have been already. To add onto this nearly all the cars in the game are either based on real ones, are using the names of real ones, or would need to be licensed again for overseas usage and I very much doubt they would bother.

Another thing is that the group that subbed the anime itself had no plans to even consider this since they already have a ton on their plate and they just wanted to do the anime.

What is it about?
Think Transformers but they only transform using cars. The main plot of the anime is that a slab from the future gets transported to the past explaining how to make a magical engine that powers itself and unleashes tremendous power when used by the Chosen Drivers and talks about how the future timeline ended up in ruins and how to stop it (If I remember right, it's been a while since I watched the anime.) The game itself takes place during episodes 30 and 31 of the anime where Kakeru and Rinne get transported to the future, however you don't need to watch the anime to actually play it. While in the anime it's a super short visit and they meet nearly none of the cast of the game, the game has you meeting tons of characters from the anime and OCs. The characters in general are serious, silly, over-the-top, and they try to be heartwarming or cheerful, and the story seems to stay in the "We're heroes that need to save everyone" mindset.

The main story of the game I couldn't properly tell you, it seems like your family becomes Gyrozetter users and they try to stop Gedo from taking over the world on top of helping Kakeru and Rinne find their way back to the past while upgrading their Gyrozetters along the way, and it's a far more fleshed out experience compared to episodes 30 and 31 with multiple areas visited and tons of NPCs met along the way. This also is basically a prequel to the anime in a sense since it explains in detail how everything led to the anime's start and far longer insights into why characters in the past are the way they are in the anime (Though the last episodes of the anime have a slightly different explanation).

You can travel in two modes on the overworld: transformed and car. Different cars can travel faster on highways, faster on grass, faster on offroad, different cars handle different ways when drifting (Like the Toyota '86), and when in transformed mode they can dash faster, recover the dash gauge faster, can preemptive strike or be preemptively stricken, etc. All the cars have about 10 or more moves to learn each, cars themselves serve different purposes in battle such as damage dealers, buffers, healers, defenders, etc., and they also have their own elements for their attacks and themselves so it has a super effective/resistant system in it as well. You can even "capture" cars by purifying them from whatever Xenon was doing so they can join your side, even the "evil" ones from the show.

Battles are normal turn-based battles with some twists. Your cars themselves can have up to four moves assigned which you learn from leveling the cars up, however some moves they can only learn after you have driven something like 200 or 2000 kilometers in-game with the car (Not transformed) which happens relatively fast that you don't need to grind it out. The way fights work is you start in first gear (Unless you have a skill card), attacks that only take first gear can be used for free (Usually just single target moves), or you can pass your turn to shift up into the next gear up to 9 (I think) gears. Gear 2 onward are usually AoE attacks, heals, or buffs. Let's say you are in Gear 3 and use a Gear 2 move, it will subtract 1 and drop you to Gear 2 the next turn. Gear 5 and use a Gear 3 skill it will drop you down to Gear 3 (Gear 5 - Gear 3 = 5 -3 = 2 gears dropped = Gear 3 outcome). Gear 5 and use a Gear 1 move it won't subtract anything since Gear 1 is for free, etc. Boss fights takes this into account constantly and have you wasting turns from time to time to either do AoE heals or AoE attack/defense buffs or using the very powerful single target high attack moves and even having what I felt like were strong Gyrozetters are the time I had trouble with some boss battles which felt great since you expect it to be easy as it's a kid's game. You also build up a bar that lets you use your Final Burst which each car has that is a special unique move that differs between each car, some can be buffs, some can be heals, some can be massive damage dealers, but they all have really cool animations to fantastic music.

Popularity in Japan:
Not that great. First week sales were 17,925 debuting at number 3, second week it was 4,079, third week it wasn't even listed. As said before the anime didn't do that great and the sole reason anyone probably knows of it is because Square-Enix funded it (It's why I know of it).

Screenshots:
These are all personal screenshots of mine just to give you an idea of what I've seen so far.
XJckZeg.jpg

Videos:
Official trailer:

Some challenge battle videos to give you an idea of how combat works, just remember the guy has top tier Gyrozetters (Skip to about 20 seconds in):

The game itself is a completely solid monster (In this case, car) collecting RPG even if you don't care about the anime and it seems like it has the humor the show has. There are around 150+ cars based mainly off of real cars with either really silly transformed forms, really cool transformed forms, or evil/heroic looks with very flashy finisher moves, massive boss fights, and a variety of areas. The battle system is inventive enough, and it feels properly polished like most Square-Enix RPGs are, and as a game it feels like it does not just pander to kids as the game requires thinking ahead and planning out your gears properly so you don't get slaughtered by the new area's Gyrozetters or a boss on top of requiring you to manage buffs properly. There's special Gyrozetters, there's challenges to overcome, and in general it's just a fun game I think non-Japanese speakers should get to try out.

As it's an RPG it's not exactly easy to follow for people who know no Japanese (I'm just barely able to follow it since Hiragana/Katakana and Google Translate gets you through fights and setting characters up) and most people would get stuck on trying to make a good enough team, especially when they don't know what the skill cards or moves do which are vital to later battles. The game lets you know where to go for story and side stories thanks to the enormous compass on the bottom screen that shows you a trail to take, but you miss out on so much hilarity from Kakeru alone in the main story and obviously can't understand anything that's actually happening. The biggest problem is not understanding the moves, stats (I still have no clue what エコロジー/Ecology actually stands for, I think it's the damage of moves that use it?), your Driver ID setup (Determines what element gets increased damage), the skill cards (Things like Gear Up cards, negation cards, or buffs are very important later on), or what items do (Like what heals, what buffs you, etc).

You can also use a Toyota '86 to drift like mad while channeling your inner Initial D spirit and then going for a Rider Kick with it in battle so I'm sure someone can appreciate that.

What I can do to help:
The most I can do is point you to the group that translated the anime (msubs, I don't know if it's good to link their actual page or not) if you want some terms sorted out (Like how they used Kakeru's "絶望的に" line) and link you to the previously linked wiki. I don't know any programming and no Japanese so there's not much I can help out in that respect. Unless you want me to "translate" Kanji using Rikaisama and my pretty useless knowledge of Hiragana/Katakana to guesstimate what a sentence says.

Last edited by soliunasm,

Sabishinbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can help with graphics ... I'm still noob with 3Ds hacking too so I can't help much there :/

My one qeustion now is if you plan to use original digimon names/terms or western one >w> hahah
I suppose I haven't thought that far out yet Considering that I grew up with the "cartoon" though, I'll likely use the western names/terms.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I suppose I haven't thought that far out yet Considering that I grew up with the "cartoon" though, I'll likely use the western names/terms.
well in general for most this could not be a problem ... but, for me I started liking digimon on the tamers and frontier anime, and here they where translated directly from the Japanese, so I'm close to the original names here( the 1st and 2nd seasons where translated with the english as base but idk why as kid I had no interest on digimon that time lol)
well if you lead it's up to you anyway so idk :P just if happens t be there, don't change bombernanimon into an orange or his name to citramon pls XD (and others that happen similar, idk )

Last edited by Sliter,

kld6445

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game Name:
Attack on Titan: Escape from Certain Death\Shingeki no Kyojin Shichi kara no Dasshutsu.
Developer/Publisher:
Koei Tecmo.
Release:
May 11, 2017.
Genre:
Visual Novel.
Yes.
Because there is no anime visual novel in 3ds.
What is it about?
About Humanity to make the peace in the earth from the titans.
Popularity in Japan:
It is very popular in japan.
Screenshots:
upload_2017-4-27_14-31-56.jpeg

upload_2017-4-27_14-32-6.jpeg

upload_2017-4-27_14-32-21.jpeg

Videos:

For the fans of the anime.
What I can do to help:
Nothing.

Last edited by kld6445,

kld6445

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game Name: Kenka Bancho 6: Soul & Blood.
Developer/Publisher:
Spike Chunsoft.
Release: January 15, 2015.
Genre:
Beat 'em up.
Yes.

It is released in japan 2015 and not released in the west.
What is it about?

I do not know but it is about a student in a school who fight.
Popularity in Japan:

It is very popular in japan it gets 34\40 in famitsu.
Screenshots:
upload_2017-4-27_14-59-41.jpeg

upload_2017-4-27_14-59-52.jpeg

Videos:

It is fun and there are less Beat 'em up games on 3ds.
What I can do to help:

Nothing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more