Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
davidsl_128 said:
(mp3, not stupid AAC!)Most formats are not actually free. If Nintendo were to add support for non-free video/audio formats, that would raise the price. Let's take MP3, AAC, WMA, and WMV as examples since set prices are easy to find for them.

http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html
So that's at least $15,000 a year for MP3, plus $0.75 per unit. Reasonable by itself, right?

http://www.vialicensing.com/licensing/AAC_fees.cfm
AAC prices are set per-unit and change depending on how many units you choose. Depending on how many nintendo makes this could be a better or worse deal than MP3... then again nintendo sold 6.68 million DSi units as of last july. There's also the fact that MP3 is ineffecient, you can get more quality with a lower bitrate (and thus lower filesize) in AAC, and AAC's licensing terms (see bottom sentence of this section) could very well be more loose/reasonable.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...sing/Final.aspx
$400,000 a year to play mono/stereo WMA, $1,000,000 a year if the sound recorder or whatever will be able to save in that format.
$800,000 a year to play surround sound WMA.
WMV? Same deal, $400,000 a year to play, $1,000,000 to encode.

And then of course nintendo has to abide by whatever licensing terms all those companies put forth, so nintendo will be limited by multiple third-party companies as to what it can and cannot do with it's own system. Nintendo doesn't like any part of that, understandably so.

QUOTE(davidsl_128 @ Apr 4 2010, 10:37 PM) +1 to more strict quality benchmark from Nintendo, maybe we'll get less bad games
Your idea of "quality" is not the same as nintendo's, they could filter out games you'd love while leaving in games you hate. In the gaming industry "quality" refers to being bug-free, a consistent level of quality for the media, localization that doesn't alienate it's intended target, and other such things.

Nothing to do with how "cool" a game is, and nothing that would stop the flow of games with ponies and rainbows, unfortunately.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Rydian said:
davidsl_128 said:
+1 to more strict quality benchmark from Nintendo, maybe we'll get less bad games
Your idea of "quality" is not the same as nintendo's, they could filter out games you'd love while leaving in games you hate. In the gaming industry "quality" refers to being bug-free, a consistent level of quality for the media, localization that doesn't alienate it's intended target, and other such things.

Nothing to do with how "cool" a game is, and nothing that would stop the flow of games with ponies and rainbows, unfortunately.
Sad, but it makes sense
frown.gif
At least we wouldn't have Elf Bowling xD for what I've heard the menus are even worst than the game, it wouldn't have the required quality...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: