The 3DS 3D screen looks bad in 2D

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by WiiUBricker, Jan 9, 2013.

Jan 9, 2013

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Message Count:
    Argentina
    Update: Now with picture: http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-3ds-3d-screen-looks-bad-in-2d.340847/page-5#post-4811192

Dunno if you have noticed, but if you completly disable the 3D, the pixels on your topscreen look kinda weird. It seems that both topscreens (the top screen actually consists of 2 screens) aren't overlapping themselves properly when 3D is disabled.

So the pixels aren't exactly 1:1, but I guess they are 1,01:1. This is the case with both 3DS and 3DS XL.
    That's why I always play games in 3D at the lowest depth, because the pixels then look exactly like the pixels from the bottom screeen, 1:1.

Fix this Nintendo.

Edit: A more detailed explanation from a gamefaqs user:

"They aren't called scanlines or interlacing. Those lines you see are just the gaps, horizontally, between the rows of pixels. The bottom screen has them too, except the bottom screen also has those same gaps, vertically, between columns of pixels (just like any LCD screen does).

The top screen doesn't have gaps between columns of pixels (or more accurately, the gaps are just extremely small) for 3 reasons:
    1: The horizontal pixel count is 800, twice as much as you'd have with square pixels. They're naturally squeezed together so tightly that there would be very little space between pixels that are side by side.
    2. Since two pixels side-by-side work as a single pixel in 2D mode, if there were a gap between each rectangular "half-pixel" then you'd actually see 800 individual pixels for each row on the top screen in 2D mode as each pixel would visibly be split in half down the middle.
    3. But most importantly... IF the pixels had normal sized gaps between them, then they'd produce terrible moiré patterns with the parallax barriers in 3D mode.

In 2D mode, upon close inspection of the top screen you realize you can't count the individual pixels along each row of pixels (at least not with a plain white background) because of the lack of gaps. Instead, each row of pixels looks like a single continuous pixel because there are no visible gaps between the pixels. In 3D mode, they look like square pixels again, but the vertical "gaps" you see between each column of pixels isn't really a gap... it's actually a parallax bar in front of the LCD. But they certainly do look like gaps."
    Last edited by WiiUBricker, Oct 24, 2013

AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

Message Count:
    United States
    Maybe it's a problem with your screen, because I don't have that problem with mine.

Achilles New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I don't have that problem either. If anything, most games look better when you're in 2D mode because they're able to put more horsepower towards the single image instead of splitting it between two images. I've seen quite a few games that actually become antialiased and have better texture sampling when in 2D.
    T Link7 and chartube12 like this.

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Message Count:
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    United States
    I don't notice this phenomenon that you speak of. The pixels on my 3ds actually seem clearer when 2d mode is on.

Get your system serviced or just live with it is my recommendation.

Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Nope, just you. I'd send it back to Ninty under warranty if I were you.

heartgold New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    2D looks clean as some games apply AA.
    chartube12 likes this.

Message Count:
    Argentina
    As said, this was the case with my 3DS and is the case with my 3DS XL. Every 3DS and XL have that. Just disable 3D and carefully compare the bottom screen with the top screen. You will see a big difference. Then enable 3D with the lowest depth and compare the screens again. Not so much difference anymore, huh?

ComeTurismO Look out, bitch. I'm watching you.

Message Count:
    Canada
    Just you, I guess. When i'm in 2D mode, I barely see pixels.
    chartube12 likes this.

Arras I will be your hexahedron today

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    The only difference I can see is that it's impossible to tell pixels apart horizontally on the top screen. On the bottom there's a tiny black border around each pixel, but on the top screen there's only horizontal lines, the vertical borders aren't there. Probably because it's actually 800 instead of 400.
    Boy12 likes this.

Eerpow *swoosh*

Message Count:
    Sweden
    Just you, the 3D image appears to be more crisp because of how the pixels stand out more, two pixels are combined make one, some pixels will show different colors too which makes them stand out more and give the illusion of smoother edges at times. The 2D is as crisp it can get, play a DS game in 1:1 and compare it to a normal DS, no difference really.
    Boy12 and chartube12 like this.

Message Count:
    Argentina
    Yeah, that's what I mean. If the screens would overlap themselves properly, you would see borders just like with the bottom screen. But you can't, because they are not overlapping themselves properly. This makes the pixels in the top screen a bit blurry. That's why I prefer to enable 3D in the lowest depth because the pixels are sharper that way.

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Message Count:
    India
    Forget about the pixels and just play some games :)

I'm pretty sure you don't see the pixels while playing unless you have magnifying glasses for eyes :P
    chartube12 likes this.

Arras I will be your hexahedron today

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Yeah I had to take off my glasses to see the difference (strength -10 or something, I basically HAVE magnifying glasses for eyes)

Also it's probably not because of non-overlapping screens but because of higher pixel density. You just can't tell, but the borders are probably still there. The higher the pixel density, the harder it becomes to actually see them.
    Last edited by Arras, Jan 11, 2013

The Real Jdbye Furry, and damn proud of it!

Message Count:
    Norway
    It looks fine to me. But then again a lot of people say the 3DS screens are of bad quality and I've never seen the problem.

Message Count:
    Argentina
    The 3D screens aren't that of bad quality, it's just that they look ugly in 2D mode. The bottom screen display perfect 2D. The top screen should look exactly like the bottom screen in 2D, but Nintendo screwed up on this.

But in 3D mode you can clearly see the borders...

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Message Count:
    India
    When I first got my DSi XL I was really unhappy with the big pixels. Then I just got used to it and now I love it and I love playing games on it. The 3DS XL pixels are much smaller and harder to see.

KazoWAR New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yea I noticed when 3D is off, you can't see the vertical line between the pixels. only the horizontal line. I don't like it. I prefer the tiny lines around each pixel, bottom screen is perfect.
    • Newcomer

felystar New Member

Message Count:
    Spain
    You are making a comparison between bottom and top screens... They are totally diferent!! Top screen has better graphics because it is made for visual characters and those things and the bottom screen is made for accept options and map and things like that.

Anyway, I think I know what you are talking about. When I play TLoZ: OoT 3D in 3D it looks very good and you can see like all the things in the screen are perfectly sharp, but when you turn 3D off, you can actually see that the image looks more like the Wii and things kind of blur but that helps jaggies disappear.

Janthran Solarian

Message Count:
    United States
    If you're going to do that, why not just play it on full 3D?

Message Count:
    Argentina
    Because the 3D mode is just an annoying gimmick. I wouldn't play in 3D if the top screen wouldn't look like shit in 2D mode.

SPONSORED LINKS