DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I woke up this morning with a disturbing thought. What if the 3D display were to start having dead pixels on it? How much would that affect the effect?

I have a single dead pixel on my DSphst (bottom screen), but I've been so used to it that it doesn't bother me. But, that is with a 2D display. If a pixel were dead for one eye on the 3DS (800x240, 400 pixels per eye), could that create problems when using the 3D effect?

doeo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DiscostewSM said:
I woke up this morning with a disturbing thought. What if the 3D display were to start having dead pixels on it? How much would that affect the effect?

I have a single dead pixel on my DSphst (bottom screen), but I've been so used to it that it doesn't bother me. But, that is with a 2D display. If a pixel were dead for one eye on the 3DS (800x240, 400 pixels per eye), could that create problems when using the 3D effect?

Good question.
But the 3DS looks like it's really studied.
Nintendo probably considers that.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
DiscostewSM said:
could that create problems when using the 3D effect?
No.

EDIT: Okay, I won't make a one word post. No, the effect will still be there as long as even an outline of the object can be seen. One or even several dead pixels won't affect the 3D effect. And a dead pixel in 3D mode will be even less noticeable than a dead pixel on a regular screen, because only one eye sees that pixel, and the information you get from the other eye compensates for it. Humans are used to getting different information from each eye and then combining it, keeping the useful information and filtering out the noise. A dead pixel you only see with one eye would be the noise, and you'd simply filter it out. You might notice it after a while, but it won't affect the 3D.

And with 2D images, the redundancy might even hide a dead pixel enitrely. Depends on how the screen shows 2D images.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DiscostewSM said:
I woke up this morning with a disturbing thought.

DiscostewSM said:
a disturbing thought

QUOTE(DiscostewSM @ Jun 18 2010, 06:54 PM)
disturbing

frown.gif

Well, maybe it would be just like a dead pixel in 2d. Just in 3D.
mellow.gif

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would assume it'd be less noticable at first than on a standard 2D screen. (of course once you notice it, it'll never get out of your sight)

Mainly since if the corresponding pixel that gets sent to the other eye is intact, it may hide the fact that the other one is dead. But that's just a guess until I actually play with the hardware.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I agree, dead pixels would be less noticable than on a 2D screen, but if you remember, Nintendo counts dead pixels as a defect and (probably still) replace any system with dead pixels for free under their warranty (unlike sony).

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've never had a dead pixel on my DS systems, so personally I hope that getting dead pixels won't be an issue to begin with.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
I agree, dead pixels would be less noticable than on a 2D screen, but if you remember, Nintendo counts dead pixels as a defect and (probably still) replace any system with dead pixels for free under their warranty (unlike sony).
this is sort of a standard among lcd makers and hardware that uses them

for example I was reading newegg policy about it and they said about 10 dead pixels or more and they would exchange it as defective, less and they wont take it

alot of other companies do the exact same thing, they wont replace the product with only 1 dead pixel

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Joe88 said:
alot of other companies do the exact same thing, they wont replace the product with only 1 dead pixel
It's all about the percentage. One dead pixel on a DS is one in 49,152 pixels. One dead pixel on a desktop monitor is one in a minimum of 786,432 pixels. So a dead pixel on a DS screen is the equivalent of at least 16 dead pixels on a desktop monitor
wink.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Brian10122 said:
Well I've never had a dead pixel on my DS Phat, Lite, or DSi, sooo..
...so the law of averages says your next console is bound to have at least twenty.

YOU CAN'T ARGUE MATH.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
I used to have something like a dead pixel on my DS screen (it was really hard to remove and under the screen), but I managed to remove it... By force... Thankfully the screen wasn't damaged.
ohnoes.png

3D dead pixels won't be too noticeable I think, cos we'll most likely be focusing on the beautiful graphics of the games.
laugh.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Brian10122 said:
Wouldn't that be karma rather than math... or something?
No no no, karma would be if you kicked a puppy and then got a dead pixel on your console a day after the warranty expired.

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Veho said:
Brian10122 said:
Well I've never had a dead pixel on my DS Phat, Lite, or DSi, sooo..
...so the law of averages says your next console is bound to have at least twenty.

YOU CAN'T ARGUE MATH.

void mathArguement(){
if(0.99999999999999... /*repeating*/ == 1)
Statement.bold()=true;
else
mathArguement();
}

The concept of an Asymptote contradicts many a mathematician's/logician's beliefs for this. Infinite recursion FTW.

Anyway, so far every handheld console I've owned other than my GBC and iPod Touch has succumbed to at least one dead pixel. Usually right in the center area of the screen too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In emulation overclocked FX chips makes a pretty big difference in frame rate