The 100% Unofficial WIP digital manual for developer tools

Quality homebrews such as FBI and JK have significantly reduced the need for leaked developer tools, but some people like them for various reasons, from the pretty icons to them being official software...

...but, due to the use of jargon, codenames, and Engrish, many people do not understand their exact functionality. That's why I'm trying hard to document their features at their page on 3dbrew, and I just wanted to advertise this page hoping people will like it!

If after reading you still have doubts, ask me anything (except download links, not because I don't know, just to respect the rules :))

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think one step further than this would be to have homebrew like FBI come with a digital manual like retail 3DS games and apps have.
It's very annoying but it's possible! You can extract the manual from an official game, edit it with mostly Wii-age tools, repack the CFA and add this partition to whatever you want (in makerom: ... -content manualcfa:1:0x01)

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Ill
It's very annoying but it's possible! You can extract the manual from an official game, edit it with mostly Wii-age tools, repack the CFA and add this partition to whatever you want (in makerom: ... -content manualcfa:1:0x01)
have to try that. Is there a tutorial for doing such a thing?

Last edited by spinal_cord,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ill

have to try that. Is there a tutorial for doing such a thing?

ctrtool --content=ncch application.{3ds|cia}
-- for a multi-partition app, this will create multiple NCCHs (read the output!)

3dstool -xvtf cfa ncch.?????? --header ncch.header --exh exheader.bin --romfs romfs.bin
-- extracts a CFA; enter the name of the manual's partition (the "ncch.1.????????" one), note down the numbers in the filename!

3dstool -xvtf romfs romfs.bin --romfs-dir romfs
-- extract romfs

Then I don't know what tools you should use to edit the manual...

3dstool -cvtf romfs manual-romfs.bin --romfs-dir romfs

3dstool -cvtf cfa manual.ncch --header ncch.header --exh exheader.bin --romfs romfs.bin

Throw away all files except the edited manual.ncch...

makerom -f cia -o app-with-manual.cia -content the-cxi-of-the-app-you-want.ncch:0:0x?? -content manual.ncch:1:0x??
-- "??" are from the output of ctrtool when you extracted them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1