Votes: 31 6.0%
  • The Nintendo Gamecube

Votes: 60 11.7%
  • The Microsoft Xbox

Votes: 257 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A large portion of the library is definitely very arcade-oriented, that was SEGA's angle at the time and to be honest, it's not surprising considering the fact that they've been in the arcade business for ages, they're in it to this day and that's what they're good at. I think it makes the Dreamcast library especially unique, it offers an experience quite unlike anything else in its generation.

True! And I'd like to point out that it seems odd that even to this day Nintendo has never released any of their own arcade games in true arcade form on any console.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I can attest that at least my iso of Half Life for Dreamcast worked perfectly. Did a couple of full playthroughs and everything, including its then-supposed-to-be-exclusive Blue Shift Add-on.

UT also had key/mouse support as well.

I think 4x4 evo was one of the few really multiplatform at the time. If I remember right, it was able to allow cross-platform play between Dreamcast, PS2, Windows and Mac versions of the game.:ph34r:

It's true, Half Life for the DC was only a couple of weeks away from launching. To the point that from what I understand some of the pressed disks where even manufactured. Would love to get a hold of one of those... Probably worth a fortune on Ebay if they still or ever existed.

Either way my copy worked fine... lol

http://sega.wikia.com/wiki/Half-Life

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have 2 Dreamcasts that still get some loving to this day. I have never felt the urge to get a PS2 (apart from the broken one my son dumped on me years ago) or an Xbox. The Gamecube games I want I can play on my Wii. There was some point to this comment, but I lost track of it somewhere during the first sentence. Sorry.

[Edit]
Now I remember..... Anyone who voted for the Dreamcast is an idiot who clearly never owned one.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KI Gold was pretty close to KI2. It really was just KI2 missing FMV.
One interesting factoid I learned about KI2 in particular for the n64... it's one of the few games that seem to actually change its output resolution on-the-fly. For some reason Rare decided to make it where depending on what went on it would change from 240p to 480i, and while this wouldn't be a big deal when connected to a tube TV, it would play hell on a lot of video processors and converter boxes, including the rather legendary Framemeister.

To date, that's the only title I'm aware of that will actually change like that in the middle of gameplay.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 2 Dreamcasts that still get some loving to this day. I have never felt the urge to get a PS2 (apart from the broken one my son dumped on me years ago) or an Xbox. The Gamecube games I want I can play on my Wii. There was some point to this comment, but I lost track of it somewhere during the first sentence. Sorry.

[Edit]
Now I remember..... Anyone who voted for the Dreamcast is an idiot who clearly never owned one.
For me, the reason was simple: Out of the four consoles in the generation, one of them drove their maker out of the hardware business. Sega was porting their games to other consoles before the generation was even out. Only other console you could argue would be the XBOX with their Duke controllers, but they were in quite the opposite situation from Sega. They just entered the market and their console set them up for future success building off of the popularity of the Halo franchise it introduced and the online infrastructure they put in place.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

[Edit]
I think the "have never owned one" is an obvious one for the far majority of the votes, as you can only really have an opinion if you owned everything. Also...have you been paying attention to the comments? Nobody disliked the dreamcast. It had a good amount of great games, great launch and some interesting features (I had no idea you could plug in a keyboard and mouse in it!). Oh, and the ease of hacking was...probably very interesting as well.
Sorry, but I still remain by my vote. I know it's hard, but the marketing plays into this as well. It just couldn't keep up with the competition, so...yeah... :(

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the "have never owned one" is an obvious one for the far majority of the votes, as you can only really have an opinion if you owned everything. Also...have you been paying attention to the comments? Nobody disliked the dreamcast. It had a good amount of great games, great launch and some interesting features (I had no idea you could plug in a keyboard and mouse in it!). Oh, and the ease of hacking was...probably very interesting as well.
Sorry, but I still remain by my vote. I know it's hard, but the marketing plays into this as well. It just couldn't keep up with the competition, so...yeah... :(

I was obviously trolling lol.
Sega killed the Dreamcast themselves with some ridiculous and baffling marketing "strategies" (?).

I might be a Sega fanboy, but I'm not a blinkered one :lol:

Reactions: TripleSMoon

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

[Edit]
I still own my black SEGA Sports Dreamcast, VMUs and games. Dreamcast rocks!

But out of all the systems we have to vote on, from a gamer's perspective you have to give it the "worst" vote just because of the lack of support it suffered and ultimately forced gamers to move on to the other consoles to play the latest games.

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Like everybody else said, it's a difficult choice.

I would vote for the DC but i never owned one and to be honest I'm still trying to hunt one down.
Knowing that this console has a port of the action RPG "Silver," gives me wet dreams.

I can't vote for the PS2 since one of my favorite franchises (God of war) was created for that system.
The same goes for the GC, Pikmin was like a drug and I just wanted to stay sedated it also had Killer7 and Metroid Prime to name some.

And then the XBOX, the sole reason for those many late nights playing Burnout 3, spartan total warrior, POP (yes i know multiplat games) and many more.
It was the XBOX that got me into modding and repairing consoles, it was THE console to give me enough confidence to keep modifying and repairing all that came before it and after.

It's quite impossible to vote really, give me the opportunity to vote for a "Tie"!

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I cannot believe my eyes..

Dreamcast the second most voted?

Is this based on how many units got sold / overall popularity of the system?

For a gaming system released in 1999, that blew both PSX and N64 out of the water in every single way, that introduced the first ever console based network gaming system, that introduced the VMU concept, that had in many instances a better performance than even the early PS2 that came out years later, I wholeheartedly disagree.

Remember Shenmue? I nearly chocked to death on a donut when I first played it. It was absolutely unbelievable for its time. It put the PS2 to cold shame.

I'm sorry, but I owned all 4 of these systems, and none of them even scratched the uniqueness and innovation of the Sega Dreamcast.

My vote is divided between the PS2 and the Xbox. Neither of them were unique in any way, and did not appeal to me as much. I did have a blast with both the PS2 and Xbox, don't get me wrong, but it simply wasn't the same.

I'm certainly not voting for the GameCube. GameCube is the kind of system that only needs a few absolutely great titles to shine. Of course, it still flopped. But neither the Xbox OR the PS2 even came close to the amount of fun I had on the GameCube. Super Smash Bros Melee, Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Luigis Mansion and a few more, are all I need to not vote for this one.

Still deciding on what to vote for.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Out of all 6th gen consoles I have to say xbox is the worst simply because the dvd drive was hard to read scratch up disk while (the competition) the ps2 could read them easily. Don't get me wrong the xbox was good it was just to bulky just like it's controller everything else was fine they just mess up on the main things lol. It was playable, and it was amazing they had good games like fable, halo and so on, but if you could ignore the bulky controller and disc drive/disc tray you was good lol.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Out of all 6th gen consoles I have to say xbox is the worst simply because the dvd drive was hard to read scratch up disk while (the competition) the ps2 could read them easily. Don't get me wrong the xbox was good it was just to bulky just like it's controller everything else was fine they just mess up on the main things lol. It was playable, and it was amazing they had good games like fable, halo and so on, but if you could ignore the bulky controller and disc drive/disc tray you was good lol.

So it's the worst because it couldn't play discs that were already scratched?! -.-

I always check the discs to make sure they have a few to little scratches because if there's too many then chances are it won't play properly let that be a CD, DVD, BD or whatever.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So it's the worst because it couldn't play discs that were already scratched?! -.-

I always check the discs to make sure they have a few to little scratches because if there's too many then chances are it won't play properly let that be a CD, DVD, BD or whatever.
That was a big con xbox disc scratch easily, and just for the disc drive not to continue playing the disc is a big fail. This is why ps2 was better because it went through the struggle until the disc start playing right. This is why I got a ps3 instead of 360 hell wii did better continue reading then xbox consoles idk about the latest xbox one, but all I know is xbox fails at reading scratch disc. Xbox is a good console it just ignore the major flaw.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
PS2's disc drive was better? https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ps2 disc laser problem

I had to go through various PS2 consoles until I owned one which its laser wasn't absolute shit.

Might I add, my Dreamcast read CD's, or should I say "GD's", that were absolutely trashed.

My copy of Chu Chu Rocket was missing whole LAYERS of disk. That's right. The damn disk had black areas of torn material. Guess what? A few tries and it played like a charm. My copy of Jet Set Radio looked like it was grinded over a sanding block. That didn't stop me from painting graffiti all over town.

The same could be said (not as much though) for my gamecube DVD's.

Meanwhile my PS2 copy of Budokai 2 died after I dropped it once. The same is to be said about my copy of Midtown Madness 3 for the Xbox..

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're all winners each offering fantastic exclusive titles.

They all introduced something different from what was offered by previous consoles, even the Gamecube's GBA connectivity is being copied by Sony 2 generations later as a big feature for the PS4.

I'd probably vote PS2 as the worst as my launch console didn't work out of the box, it's replacement broke around 6 weeks later (probably sooner had it had anything decent to play on it in the beginning) and THAT replacement died several months later! Nt had the best luck with Sony consoles at all. The GameCube is sturdy as anything, Xbox...well it'nosier but works and the Dreamcast did stop working 6 years later but if you turn it upside down it works like a charm.

I do think the Xbox is unfairly getting shat on here by the fanboys, to me it is the unofficial Dreamcast 2 only with a far superior library and MS did a fantastic job at entering the industry...shame they lost it with the 360 and it's dreadful Live service.

Edit: Actually putting nostalgia aside, Dreamcast is easily the worst. Most of it's core titles came to the others anyway, it was clearly underpowered and rushed out to the market to be the first on the market. Sega killed it with poor management over reliance on Sonic and total lack of advertising. Had it had another 6 months of fine tuning it would have been much better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands