Tempmas '16 Gift Ideas

rsz_rsz_1tempy.png

It's that festive time of year again! Whether you're out of ideas, scouting for more gifts for your loved ones or just want to gift yourself, because why not?!, we've got you, gamers and technology enthusiasts, covered with this year's Tempmas Gift Ideas! Let's get started!
Yup, I'd like to start this year's suggestion with an interesting smartwatch that has been gathering quite some attention lately.

rsz_ticwatch_tickle.jpg

Smartwatches? Those gimmicky notification wrist bands that cost more than an actual phones and barely last a few hours? That's the thought that comes to the mind of many when the term is brought up. The Tickwatch 2 however promises something different than the norm.

Coming from Chinese AI startup Mobvoi, the Tickwatch 2 is actually the international version of the company's first smartwatch following growing interest. For this model, they launched a Kickstarter campaign which reached its initial funding goal of $50,000 in under 10 minutes and raised $2 million by the end of the campaign. Clearly people seem to like what they are offering. It is even touted as being one of "the most interactive smartwatch ever". And interestingly, it's more affordable than its competitors, ranging from $199 - $299.

family.JPG charcoal.png oak.png snow.png onxy.JPG

Running on its own OS based off Android 5.1, the TicWear, the waterproof smartwatch features built-in GPS, music storage, heart rate sensor, Wi-Fi, bluetooth, a microphone, a speaker and even has a personal assistant, Tico! Another cool feature it has is the Tickle strip on its side which can be used for scrolling. Most importantly, it is compatible with both Android and iOS devices, so no one is left out. Nevertheless, it can still be used as a standalone device while you leave your phone at home and gives 1.5-2 days from a single charge depending on use.

You can get a glimpse of the watch and its functions in the videos below:

Visit this link to learn more and comment about your thoughts and queries below as we might give it a spin for a review.

• Nintendo 3DS Console
rsz_3ds_family.jpg

(Almost) Everybody's favorite handheld is now half a decade old but still kicking strong! If the console had a slow initial lineup, with time it did compensate to bring games of everyone's taste; from classic remakes like Ocarina of Time to new indies like The Binding of Issac, the 3DS has it all. Better yet, it has backward compatibility with the wildly popular Nintendo DS, giving you the very best of two handheld's world! Several iterations of the console have been released over the years with the cheapest being the 2DS priced at $79.99 MSRP. Of course, check your local stores for the best deals.

• PS4 Console
rsz_ps4_fortheplayers.jpg

Starting from $249.99 MSRP, the PS4 is arguably the most compelling home console of this generation. With a plethora of games already available including exclusives and remasters from successful PS3 titles, you have even more to look forward to following the announcements made during Playstation Experience 2016.
  • Games, games, games!!!
BeFunky Collage.jpg

What are consoles without games? Below are the latest games that we've reviewed and scored 8/10 or above:

PC: Dark Souls III, Aragami, Firewatch, Killing Floor 2

PS4: XCOM 2, Salt and Sanctuary, Bloodborne, Steins;Gate 0 (@Chary strongly advises you to play the original Steins;Gate before playing this midquel)

XBox One: Dishonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Inside, DiRT Rally

Nintendo 3DS: Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, Fire Emblem Fates, Zero Time Dilemma

PSVita: Severed, Yomawari: Night Alone, Superbeat XONiC
  • NES Classic Edition
rsz_nes_classic_retro_blast_splash.jpg

Feeling nostalgic in the cold winter? Nintendo's NES Classic Edition is here to help you relive those fond memories of your old NES while letting the new generation of gamers get a feel of the classic console. Including a a classic NES controller, this palm-sizedNES includes 30 of its classic games like Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy. At an MSRP of $59.99, it's hard to lay your hand on one but if you do, it'll sure make one hell of a gift!
  • RetroEngine Sigma - Mini Console & Media Player

Still feeling nostalgic but don't want to break the bank? The RetroEngine Sigma might be the gift you're after! Having funded 2132% of its $20,000 goal on Indiegogo at the time of writing, this retro console packs a punch as it promises to emulate 28 consoles from Amstrad, Game Boy to even Playstation! And it fits in your palm, just like the NES Classic! Only caveat is that you'll need to back it and it ships mid-2017. If you can postpone your gift giving/unwrapping to then, then head over here to check it out!

• Playstation Gear - Plushes, Apparel, and More!
ps-gear-0011.jpg

Maybe you're not in the mood for Nintendo related gifts, but you're a fan of Playstation? Well luckily for you, Sony has a storefront chock full of all sorts of cool things! The Playstation Gear store has apparel inspired by The Last of Us, high quality action figures of Uncharted's Nathan Drake, and a wide array of plushies from series like Ratchet and Clank, Bloodborne, and Parappa the Rapper!

[Special thanks to @Chary for her input! Apparently the Playstation Gear website isn't available worldwide :huh:]
  • Video Game Soundtrack Vinyls
HeroofTime-AnimationB.gif
02_Hero_Of_Time_Gatefold_1024x1024.png Journey_Store_Icon_6db20314-46d8-4f0e-af5f-2466c4568058_large.jpg 01_e06c76ea-90cd-48e7-ac91-536409ed3e92_1024x1024.png

Vinyls have regained popularity lately and video games' soundtrack seem only fit to be represented in this medium. iam8bit has an increasing collection of iconic video game soundtracks in vinyl format glory. The officially licensed, one-hour arrangement album by 64-piece Slovak National Symphony Orchestra based from The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time is up for preorder and ships in Q2 2017.
  • Video Game Related Books
gbatemp_gamers_can_read.jpg

Looking for something different, something more literary, yet still gaming-related? Fear not, there are books that fit your needs! In one of my recurring columns Gamers Can Read, I've been reviewing recent books like Metal Gear Solid and The State of Play: Creators and Critics on Video Game Culture. For a more diverse collection, I'd recommend books from the Boss Fight Books series which is a collection of books on classic video games. Each book focuses on a single game where the author(s) give a critical and personal look at the game. You can get the eBook or paperback version of each or buy the whole collection. Stay tuned for upcoming reviews in 2017!

We hope you've enjoyed our gift ideas and found something that interests you! Feel free to share your own gift ideas with the others in the comments section. The whole GBAtemp staff team wishes you a merry Christmas Tempmas and a Happy New Year 2017!

merrytempmas_medium.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1