Hacking TEMPGBA .sav -> real cartridge possible?

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Hey!

I've been playing Pokémon FireRed (U) on TEMPGBA for a crapton of hours, and I finally dusted off my original copy of it for the GBA. Since I want to fully complete it, I figured I could use Rudolph's GBA Backup Tool to move the save file over to the cartridge. As it turns out, this is for some reason not really working. I even tried using the supplied EEPROM save file converter and it failed spectacularly. So I'm thinking there might be a couple of possible reasons why this is:

1) It could be a fake cartridge. Here's a pic of its guts, just in case.

2) The save file that gets created by TEMPGBA is incompatible and needs to be converted. I'd need help figuring out the options on Shunyweb's save converter.

3) The DSTWO itself is not compatible with the GBA Backup Tool. This shouldn't be the problem, since it can definitely see the save file that I want to restore to the cartridge.

4) Regional incompatibility. Though this shouldn't either be a problem, since my rom was a (U) rom, and I am playing on a (U) cartridge.

So any way to figure this out?

Thanks in advance,

~Ace

goemon_guy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, having a battery would have been a dead give away that this cart was fake.

At any rate, your cart does indeed look fake.

In terms of your theories:

1) Looks fake to me. (EDIT: Didn't realize your location is Sweden. Still doesn't really look like a legit PCB to me. For the record, my US cart looks like this.)
2) I've mixed saves from original carts and TempGBA without converting numerous times on the MMBN games, so I don't think you'd need to convert.
3) I've used that particular tool to backup and restore saves with my DSTWO countless times, so you should be fine in this respect.
4) You seem to have figured this one out, but maybe your cart actually is of a different region? You could dump it with Rudolph's GBA tool and run it in VBA or something to get its region.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: