Hacking TempGBA: NDSGBA revival

Do GBA games make your nono parts happy?

• Total voters

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
That's nice, an emulator WITHOUT the VITAL files that are needed for it to operate

and now the original GBA emulator WON'T work neither, THANK YOU VERY MUCH :nayps3:

The bios file is copyrighted material so nobody can linked or post it here. Like ferret7463 tell you, google is your friend.
Really you demostrate that you are "invidente". Read the docs first and the FAQ before showing disgusted with nebuleon.

invidente7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Okay, I already found it and the emulator is working fine. I'm amazed that they managed to add a rewind function since not even my GBA emulator on MY XBOX can do that!

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm having issues with Mario Advance 3. The game is very playable with frameskip 1, but after playing through a couple of levels the game will reset suddenly!
Having issues with Mario and luigi superstar saga us version. Can't enter into battle mode...
Both of these should go on GitHub, and I'll make sure they're tagged and their progress is tracked individually and I don't mix up the games somehow.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I already found it and the emulator is working fine. I'm amazed that they managed to add a rewind function since not even my GBA emulator on MY XBOX can do that!
That appears to be an addition from gpSP Kai or the Supercard Team. (Though to me, the rewind function is a pure memory hog that I must work around when trying to optimise :P) Some swear by the rewind function, but others create saved states.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That appears to be an addition from gpSP Kai or the Supercard Team. (Though to me, the rewind function is a pure memory hog that I must work around when trying to optimise :P) Some swear by the rewind function, but others create saved states.
I use both. Which one I use when depends on what I'm playing and the situation in question. Heck, in some cases. Rewind has been a Godsend (especially in the case of Touhoumon).

Still, I could live without it if it makes things easier.

Reactions: ferret7463

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I use both. Which one I use when depends on what I'm playing and the situation in question. Heck, in some cases. Rewind has been a Godsend (especially in the case of Touhoumon).

Still, I could live without it if it makes things easier.
In beta 12 I had to reduce rewinding by 4 steps, and I updated the text to state this - I might have to remove 1 or 2 more after more careful tuning and supporting Lufia and such. (Lufia's crashing was due to the BIOS metadata structure I used in beta 12, so I may need to revert it to beta 11 or expand upon it.) If I absolutely can't support rewinding anymore because tuning requires me to redirect all the RAM it currently uses for another purpose, I'll remove it, but otherwise it'll stay in.

Look how far I had managed to optimise without eating away at the rewind steps! ^_^

Reactions: machomuu

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running this on frame skip 1 and at 30fps I can't tell much of a difference at all between this and my gba. Is it just me or does this look near perfect at 30fps?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm running this on frame skip 1 and at 30fps I can't tell much of a difference at all between this and my gba. Is it just me or does this look near perfect at 30fps?
Most commercial films and such run at 24FPS even, so the drop to 30FPS isn't bad in most games. While the GBA doesn't use post-processing effects like motion blur to hide the low framerate, visible framerate does depend a lot on how much of the visible scene changes per frame, and how much of a contrast it is to the previous frame. This is most often an issue in FPS games where what you see from one frame to another can change quickly, but most GBA games were top-down view or something like it without too much visible contrast (not specifically color contrast) from one frame to another.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having issues with Mario Advance 3. The game is very playable with frameskip 1, but after playing through a couple of levels the game will reset suddenly!

Both of these should go on GitHub, and I'll make sure they're tagged and their progress is tracked individually and I don't mix up the games somehow.

I had this problem too, and I don't think it's specific to just TempGBA either. Seems to be an issue with the original code (gpSP?). Early GBA emulators on Android devices had this problem as well, and they also seem to be based on the PSP GBA emulators.

I haven't tested any further than this, but Yoshi's Island suddenly decides to reset without warning after I entered the first pipe in the first real level (the one after the tutorial level). It's pretty close to the beginning of the first level, guarded by two piranha plants. The game then suddenly resets itself automatically.

While I have not tried other games extensively to see whether they suffer from this problem, I do remember the Android port of gpSP suffering from the same problem in certain games. I believe I recall both Final Fantasy 6 and the Golden Sun games randomly resetting on Gameboid (the GBA emulator for Android which was also based on the PSP emulator). I might test some of these games soon on TempGBA to see if they have resetting issues as well. Since Yoshi's Island is having the same issue on TempGBA as it does on the Android emulators, it may be a similar sort of issue that could affect other games on TempGBA as well.

Also, the mosaic effect seen in a few GBA games such as Mario World and some of the Final Fantasy games doesn't seem to work either. For example, it's used whenever you enter a level in Mario World-

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a) I had this problem too, and I don't think it's specific to just TempGBA either. Seems to be an issue with the original code (gpSP?). Early GBA emulators on Android devices had this problem as well, and they also seem to be based on the PSP GBA emulators.

b) I haven't tested any further than this, but Yoshi's Island suddenly decides to reset without warning after I entered the first pipe in the first real level (the one after the tutorial level). It's pretty close to the beginning of the first level, guarded by two piranha plants. The game then suddenly resets itself automatically.

[...]

c) Also, the mosaic effect seen in a few GBA games such as Mario World and some of the Final Fantasy games doesn't seem to work either. For example, it's used whenever you enter a level in Mario World <snipped media ~Neb>
a) + b) Did you test this on a recent TempGBA beta version yourself? It may have disappeared. If not, I'd like a/some GitHub issue(s) about this so I can test the game(s) involved and test all of them at some point.

c) As said by Exophase himself on this thread: http://vba-m.com/forum/Thread-vba2-progress?pid=3502#pid3502 , emphasis mine:
I've mentioned these things in another thread, but I think that trying to do the layer compositing in OpenGL is just asking for trouble. You're not going to be able to correctly emulate blending so easily (or mosaic, but I think most people don't really care about mosaic anyway).
If he had taken his own comment to heart, which I assume he did (because that post is dated 2010-01-15, while the last gpSP version was in 2007), he had no plan at all to include mosaic rendering, and I wouldn't know how to begin adding that in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: got a mig switch here, freshly smuggled in from China