ROM Hack Telefang 2 Full Translation Patch

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Originally posted here: http://s15.zetaboards.com/Tulunk_Village/topic/7307225/1/

splashScreen.png

I've been tinkering with the Telefang 2 bootleg "Pokemon Ruby" and with some help from Normmatt I was able to take the english script from the bootleg (which would crash when you opened the main menu making it unplayable) and insert it into the original game, where the menu works fine.

The result? A fully playable, fully translated Telefang 2.
Everything is now 100% fully translated.

The translation isn't perfect, but it's quite readable and doesn't make the game less enjoyable. In fact it can be funny at times.
Battles are now perfectly translated along with items and moves, courtesy of RacieB, Blaziken257 and Kimbles, as well as Sanky for sending me the patch.

That's pretty much all I can think to say right now, so I'll leave you all with the download link and a snippet of game information from Wikipedia.

"Keitai Denjū Telefang (Japanese: 携帯電獣テレファング Hepburn: Keitai Denjū Terefangu?, lit. "Mobile Phone Beast Telefang") is a series of role-playing video games (RPGs) developed by Smilesoft[2][3] and published by Natsume. In the games, the player contacts various creatures using a mobile phone-like device in order to get them to battle the foes he or she will encounter."

You can compare it to Pokemon. It has many similarities, but a better story (doesn't take much) and no random encounters (yay!). It also has a great soundtrack :)
Worth playing for any Pokemon fan, or fans of RPGs in general.

Screenshots:
1.png
2.png

3.png
4.png

5.png
6.png

7.png
Known issues:
The cursor in selection dialogs is in the wrong spot, Normmatt needs to fix this in his VWF. Fixed in the upcoming patch. An example of the issue is here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/telefang-2-full-translation-patch.346322/#post-4767217

Download: https://github.com/Jdbye/Telefang-2-English-Translation-Project/blob/master/Telefang 2 Power (J)-Eng.ips?raw=true
Apply with an IPS patcher such as Lunar IPS. Sure most people use xdelta now but this is easier :P

Post bug reports, missing translations etc. in here or in the original topic on Tulunk Village.
Missing translations may be tricky to fix with my limited rom hacking skills, but I'll do my best.

If anyone wants to help fix translation errors, or want the files used for other reasons, the original script as well as all the other files are available in the github repository here: https://github.com/Jdbye/Telefang-2-English-Translation-Project
The ROMs are not included for obvious reasons, but there is a readme with instructions on how to use.

Coming Soon!
A new translation from the ground up, using this patch as its basis. It will have a few additional changes/improvements such as a new font. You can see an example of the new patch here:
screen.png
gWUPJIs.png

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
will try it, many thanks!

your awesome, hope you do more translations in this section, namely sowrdcraft 3, but that is up to you

cheers!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
will try it, many thanks!

your awesome, hope you do more translations in this section, namely sowrdcraft 3, but that is up to you

cheers!
I don't actually know japanese, so it's hard for me to translate anything. I just took the script from a broken bootleg version as I mentioned in the post.
The translation's not perfect, there are some typos and engrish but it's all easy to understand.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Maybe you should ask for a little help with this translation, it's a bit awkward to say the least .-.
It's cool that it was translated though, thanks for the hard work!
-Lucario

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Maybe you should ask for a little help with this translation, it's a bit awkward to say the least .-.
It's cool that it was translated though, thanks for the hard work!
-Lucario
I'll happily accept any help offered. However there doesn't seem to be much interest in translating this game which is why the only other translation only had the intro translated.
A proper translation is going to be done once the one for Telefang 1 is done, but there is like one guy working on it that's also going to do the sequel, so it'll take years.
This one is quirky (and funny at times) but it's still very enjoyable. I don't mind it at all.

I've added the link to the script though, so people can submit changes.

EDIT: Updated!
I've updated the patch.
It now includes Normmatt's variable width font, and I've edited the script to take advantage of this, so now twice as much text fits on a line, and has lowercase characters instead of the game shouting at you.
In addition to that, it has a much improved battle translation, courtesy of RacieB, Blaziken257 and Kimbles, as well as Sanky for sending me the patch. All moves and items should be properly translated as well as denjuu names.
Edit: Made yet another couple changes. Some of the menu stuff had lowercase characters, which that font doesn't support, so I've changed them to uppercase. That means the text messages and tutorial are now in english. Also, the denjuu names were updated to the proper ones.

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8225581/Telefang 2 Power (J)-Eng.ips

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Any help is welcome. Just make sure the line breaks and such stay approximately where they are, and uppercase stays uppercase. If line breaks are more than 28 characters apart it will wrap the text in the middle of a word.
What tools are you using and is there a linux version of them?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What tools are you using and is there a linux version of them?
Cartographer for extraction, and Atlas for insertion. If you want to test your changes with the ROM I can send you the directory with all my files. I don't know about Linux versions but I see no reason they wouldn't work in Wine.
I'm going to try to avoid reextracting the script as I have made far too many changes to it now to remember them all.

Edit: I've added a link to the files I used for anyone interested. ROMs are not included.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Updated once twice again!
New changes:
- A small issue with the line breaks was fixed, it no longer inappropriately breaks in the middle of words in certain dialogs.
- The menu font now has lowercase and some symbols that were missing like , and ' and is much nicer to read.
- The main menu items are now translated, however they still look glitched (now fixed!) and the highlighted item isn't translated yet.
- Translated graphics from the bootleg have been imported. That means the game is now 100% fully translated! (apart from a couple of tiny things) Enjoy!
- Battle text and denjuu names now contain lowercase, and Leku was replaced with Rex in dialogue.
- Move names, item names and descriptions now contain lowercase.

Download: https://github.com/Jdbye/Telefang-2-English-Translation-Project/blob/master/Telefang 2 Power (J)-Eng.ips?raw=true

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Small bump, but I have a good reason.

There's a new update, but that's not all. Read on for details.
Update
- The Denjuu Stats and Dex screens are now translated
- The D-Shot overlay is translated as well.

With this update comes a call to translators.
The only thing missing for this translation to be 100% complete are the Denjuu descriptions.
If anyone knows Japanese, and is willing to help translate them, the script can be found here: https://github.com/Jdbye/Telefang-2...r/Tools/Cartographer/tf2_power_script_013.txt
Got it sorted out.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Also, if there is anyone here good at pixelart, I would love for someone to draw an english logo.

You should check romhacking.net ( http://www.romhacking.net/forum/ ) there should be someone who would like to help you :D (lots of rom-translating stuff going on lately :P )
Will do.

Edit:
Update (twice)!
Changes:
- Title screen is now translated to english (not finished yet) Now finished and looking great!
- Added a splash screen
- Denjuu descriptions added, bringing the translation to 100% complete!

Added some screenshots as well.

There are some issues with the descriptions, mainly that a lot of them are simply very long and don't look good in game, and they can't be easily shortened either.
This may be resolved in the future if Normmatt can get his small font VWF working.

Ziggy Zigzagoon

Trophies
XP
Country
/nosebleed/
Aiyah! Now BOTH generations of Telefang games are translated! I thank you so much!
(Hopefully this would motivate the holders of the Telefang IP to make more... If nothing else, this should erase the stigma the bootleg versions had inflicted upon these real games!)

SoonToBeProgrammer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Also, if there is anyone here good at pixelart, I would love for someone to draw an english logo.

Will do.

Edit:
Update (twice)!
Changes:
- Title screen is now translated to english (not finished yet) Now finished and looking great!
- Added a splash screen
- Denjuu descriptions added, bringing the translation to 100% complete!

Added some screenshots as well.

There are some issues with the descriptions, mainly that a lot of them are simply very long and don't look good in game, and they can't be easily shortened either.
This may be resolved in the future if Normmatt can get his small font VWF working.

The Real Jdbye where is the download link of the latest ips patch of this game?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
there are many bugs in your translation......some of the script is not fit and become unreadable.....
Tell me which lines and I'll try my best to fix it. I haven't played through most of the game myself yet, I only did a quick hack to get something playable out.
If the text overflows it should wrap to the next line, does it not do that?
The exception to this is the Denjuu descriptions in the Dex. The thing is that the translations are very long, and there's no easy way to shorten them and make them fit. I did the best I could but some are still too long to fit on screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: got a mig switch here, freshly smuggled in from China